migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain

+3
Migrainegirl
mxgo
Lionopuma
7 posters

Go down

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain  Empty Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain

Post  Lionopuma Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Hello. Newbie here. But not new to migraines.... I experience nonstop daily left temple eye pain 3-8 going on 7 years now. And am again so depressed about it all thinking death a better option then my daily half life.

Does anyone have experiences with left sided temple pain that NEVER stops except when sleeping? If so how did you relieve? I've gone through the standard gamut of prescribed meds with no change.
Lionopuma
Lionopuma

Back to top Go down

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain  Empty Re: Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain

Post  mxgo Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Is it possible that the pain is due to a tight neck muscle problem. Here is an example of tight neck muscle that can cause such pain:

http://ernestclinic.com/spleniuscapitisinjury.html

There are other neck muscles that could cause this problem.

A long shot, mind you, but I thought I would mention it.
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain  Empty Re: Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 pm

It may be worth giving Botox a try.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lionopuma Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:55 am

I have not tried a local anesthetic mixed with Cortisone test;though PT, stretching, yoga have not helped. Nor have I tried Botox. I'm adding both to my list.

Thank you for your thoughts!
Lionopuma
Lionopuma

Back to top Go down

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain  Empty Chronic daily left temple eye pain

Post  dizzyflower Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:20 am

I hope that a neurologist is aware of this. It sounds horrible I can't stand it when I get it there I really hope you find something soon for it. I am not sure but I think at the hospital pain clinic near me they do nerve blocks for continuous pain like that. I take it that you have had your eye pressure checked and glaucoma tests done recently to be on the safe side.

best wishes

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  lorente Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:01 pm

I have this on my right side but not every day. It begins in the eye and moves upward to the left edge of my right eyebrow and then straight up my forehead into the top of my head. When I have a full-on migraine, that's where the pain is almost 100% of the time. I would recommend four things:

1. As someone else stated before, you may want to have your eyes checked for glaucoma, including the type called "normal tension glaucoma." NTG is not uncommon among migraine sufferers, and the fact that the pain goes through your eye may or may not indicate a problem. (I have NTG; however, I was diagnosed with it long before I started getting that specific type of pain.)

2. You may want to ask your doctor about a condition called "trigeminal neuralgia," since the trigeminal nerve is the main nerve in that area. It can have some of the same symptoms as migraine (nausea, vomiting), although it is usually characterized by shooting pains in that area rather than the aches of migraine.

3. I have been using the Cefaly electric nerve stimulator (www.cefaly.com) for about a month now and have found some relief. Although it's mostly known for migraine treatment, it acts on the trigeminal nerve. You might want to ask your doctor about it. I'll be posting my experiences with it as soon as I can.

4. Have you tried acupuncture? Or electric acupuncture? It helps me.

Note: I am not a doctor nor in the medical profession. The above is all just based on my experiences with migraine and NTG. I hope you find something that will help you. Please don't give up.

lorente

Back to top Go down

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain  Empty Me too.

Post  Laura Fri May 16, 2014 3:22 pm

I have daily pain in and around my left eye. When I get a migraine attack the pain in my left eye gets worse and blossoms to include my left forehead, cheek and temple. My neurologist calls the daily pain "Atypical Facial Pain" - which is a type of trigeminal neuralgia. Unlike a typical trigeminal neuralgia which is characterized by sharp shooting pains - this is a dull ache that just never goes away. I've tried several things for it. Nothing has made it go away yet. But there are some drugs to try. I take gabapentin and cymbalta. But it has not made it go away entirely. I've tried nerve blocks but they did not help me. And I had a trial of a peripheral nerve stimulator. But I was not a good candidate for a permanent stimulator. But some of these things might work for you.

Unfortunately both my doctor and medical websites say that Atypical Facial Pain is poorly understood, so treating it is sort of by trial and error.

I am only speaking from my experience. Yours may be different.
Laura
Laura

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri May 16, 2014 4:57 pm

On the off chance that the dull ache is muscle related, here is a web site that might help:

http://triggerpoints.net/head-and-neck-pain.htm

I have some of those same symptoms and have gone the "osteopathic manipulation" route to deal with the problem. I've had some success wth these treatments.

I should point out that I am not a migraineur, but have a constant headache (NDPH type). Furthermore, I am pretty sure that my problem is muscle related.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Chronic daily left temple behind eye pain  Empty Chronic daily left temple & eye pain

Post  pittiemom Fri May 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Lionopuma
I also have it in my left temple and left eye. That pain is not constant. The current theory is that it is occipital nerve related. We will be trying to freeze the subocciptal nerves and maybe a cervical epidural if that isn't successful? I've had one subocc freeze tx and it barely touched the pain. BUT...it may help you. Hang in there I still have hope that we can all get through this together. I don't know if you are on facebook, but there is another online support group there as well. "Chronic Migraine Awareness" - it is a closed, private group. I was referred there by jewel (on this site). It has been very supportive and full of great information for me.
pittiemom
pittiemom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down