migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse

4 posters

Go down

Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse Empty Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse

Post  Mini Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 pm

Funny, I was not even surprised reading this interesting item of the news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24835370
I do not collapse because of perfume, but most perfumes and  certain smells can make me feel instantly nauseas, and bring on  certain migraine.

Last weekend I was given a huge bouquet of  variety of  
flowers and set it, as it was in a large vase on the small table in the corner of the room. Last night I began to feel strange, disorientated and nauseous, I just thought I was overtired and went to bed.

This morning as soon as I walked into my living room, I felt immediate pang of pain in my temple and then I realised that there was a faint scent in the room. It took me a while to identify the culprit. Yes, on of  my beautiful flowers opened up from the bud amongst other flowers.
A beautiful, stunning white lily has just come into the full bloom.

Immediately I sprung into action, holding my nose, and trying not to breathe. I took a large plastic bag and carried the offending stem straight out into the rain and wind outside of my back door and "planted" it in the greenery of the first pot under my kitchen window.

I can now admire the offending bloom from the safe distance for a day or two, until it wilts away.
I feel so sorry for this man, it is difficult to explain to others how such a harmless thing like perfume can make you so ill.
BTW I stopped using any perfume years ago, but I still miss them and their luscious feel desperately at times. However nasty migraine has robbed me of this pleasure forever.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse Empty Re: Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse

Post  Brenda L. Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Interesting story. I can relate to sensory stimuli triggering or exacerbating migraine.

For me, I think that sounds are the worst. I love animals, but my next-door neighbor has a dog that barks constantly. The noise feels like it's stabbing me in the head!

Light isn't quite as bad for me, but bright sunlight does hurt. I think I've become a night owl to try to avoid too much sunlight!

Brenda

Brenda L.

Back to top Go down

Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse Empty Re: Smelling perfume makes migraneur collapse

Post  Jen E Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Perfume = instant headache (not always migraine) for me. I hold my breath when passing the perfume section in any store. As for flowers...roses and lilacs trigger a headache often. Interestingly, men's cologne does not give me a headache at all. I know the offending smell in women's perfume (the scent of it), but I can't seem to identify it separately or describe it. But my nose knows whatever that ingredient is.

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I can't stand to be around perfume and scents either. Those people in the mall that try to put lotions and perfumes on you when you pass by realy drive me crazy. They are very pushy about it. I feel like I am running the gauntlet each time.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Jen E Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Me too. I get mad at them for trying to come near me and spray me before I have a chance to say no.

Jen E

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down