migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL

+6
mxgo
WitsEnd
Seaine
Mule Kick
tortoisegirl
dcook60
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL Empty ORGANIC COCONUT OIL

Post  dcook60 Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:26 pm

i hesitate to post this, as it seems that the above product is indeed a miracle for me, but of course might not work for anyone else.   since i have  come here almost daily for the past 16 years and like to help other sufferers in any way i can, here goes.....

my history with hideous 40-hour migraines goes back 44 years.  as one might imagine, i've spent untold amounts of money, time, energy and hope on literally hundreds of products and treatments that sounded promising.  all were dismal failures.  how about the $7K detox treatment?  and the $5K fasting clinic?  and on and on and on....

a month ago, i started taking one tablespoon of organic, extra-virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil off a spoon.  (it is liquid above 76 degrees room temperature).

just this one thing has cut down my daily migraines 75%.  for 15 years i took one triptan or another every single day of my life.  now, i can go 4 days without having to take one.  it is truly MARVELOUS.  there is nothing else in my life that has changed.  

except that now, i'm adding one more tablespoon in the evening, and am hoping for even more improvement.   it tastes good, especially if one likes coconut.  dr. oz has been touting this, and the subject has made its rounds on the internet.  being extremely gun-shy, after so many years of no help at all from any substance, i took it at my only sibling's suggestion.  he is also very skeptical about miracle cures, but said it stopped his neuropathy (non-diabetic) in his feet almost instantly.  one has nothing to lose, unless one is allergic to coconut.

i am allergic/sensitive to multiple other things, but not coconut.  and i really can't quite fathom what a difference it has made.  it is cheap, has no downside that i know of, and that's my story.  if you don't believe me, i can't say that i blame you!  

if anyone wants any further info, please write.  i am spreading the word.  OF COURSE, it may do nothing for others, but then again, it might.  i haven't yet read the book called "the coconut oil miracle"; according to my bro, it is good for lots and lots of conditions.  the "secret" seems to be the lauric acid and/or medium-chain triglycerides in the oil.  i guess my bro and i, who were not breast-fed, may be deficient in this stuff.  breast milk is the only other food that's extremely high in these substances.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay is my only word for what's happened.  i must still be VERY vigilant about dietary matters and environmental concerns.  no sinning allowed.  heck, i'm used to that, and it's second nature now, after i discovered the MSG connection several years ago.  

ecstatically, dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL Empty Re: ORGANIC COCONUT OIL

Post  tortoisegirl Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 pm

So glad you have found something helpful, and I hope it continues. This sounds easy enough to try, and quite safe. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:05 am

Tropical Traditions is the best brand of coconut oil.

If you buy too large a quantity at once, it is apt to go rancid before you can use it up. Ours did. We need to order some more.

It is also supposed to be of great benefit in treating Alzheimer's, as well.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:07 am

Thanks for your post, I have been planning to try this for awhile. The coconut oil is supposed to cause your body to go into a ketogenic state, where it stops using glucose for energy and starts using fat. This supposedly has some sort of effect on the neurological functions.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:03 pm

OMG Dianne!!!!! This is amazing!!!!!

I'm so, so happy that you have found some relief!

Long may it continue Very Happy 
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:42 pm

witsend and others who wrote, THANK YOU FOR THE GOOD WISHES.  next time i buy some i will look for tropical traditions.  well stocked up, for now. if people haven't seen the alzheimer's video, it's very worth taking a look.

update:  after a few days of trying 2 T. per day rather than just one, i'm going back to one in the morning.  because........digestive upset.  strange, i think.  but i will lay off and then try again.  more isn't always better.

i hope that others who try this will experiment as i've done, and perhaps find help also.  for over 50 years, i've refrigerated every food and cosmetic with oil in it, as ALL can become rancid.  it is said that coconut oil will remain stable at room temp. for 2 years.  but who knows how long it has been out of the coconut??  or in a warehouse somewhere?  

so i will keep it cold, and just take out enough for a few days, to melt in the warm summer we are having.  in the winter, i guess i can melt a little each day on my coffeepot warming pad or something.   i wouldn't want to ruin it in the microwave.  dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Dianne, thanks for the update. I had been using it as a cooking oil, but I only use it very little for cooking.

I bought the book "Cocconut Cure,." to see other uses of the oil. The book said that people do experience additional energy and that if used at night, it might keep you awake. Have you noticed any increase in energy? Or help with aches and pains?

My sister-in-law ran into somebody who is drinking cocconut water for his headache. He said that it worked better than all the medications he tried. I have been drinking cocconut water, but I have not yet established a routine to see if it helps with the headache. I do like it as a refreshing drink.

Later on, I will try cocconut oil as a supplement.

I am happy one of our clan is getting relief!

Martin

mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Diane, Fabulous news! I am so pleased for you. I'd like to try it myself. Where does one buy this stuff?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Migrainegirl wrote:Diane,  Fabulous news!  I am so pleased for you. I'd like to try it myself.  Where does one buy this stuff?  
I have not been able to find it in the regular grocery store. Maybe it would be in a specialty store, but I've just been looking at products on amazon.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:18 am

Migrainegirl wrote: I'd like to try it myself.  Where does one buy this stuff?  
You can buy coconut oil at http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:01 am

i'm all for finding the very best quality one can afford.  from what i just read, mulekick is right; tropical traditions has a very good product, made in a superior way.

however, in order to try it, my case is a good example of using a good brand, but not necessarily "the best".  tropical traditions is about $14-20 per pint, plus shipping.  i paid locally $6-12.  i didn't want to buy a giant quantity at first.

the organic, extra-virgin, cold-pressed (non-expeller-pressed) is available at many grocery stores with health-food sections, and of course, supplement and health-food stores in many different brands.

just my two cents, dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Some of the lower priced brands of coconut oil (such as Spectrum) are only intended for external application, and are, therefore, not as pure (free of contaminants) as those intended for internal use.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Wow... thanks for the tip Axe-in-head!! As you and I have some similar food triggers to M's (MSG in particular), I will have to try this. I always have coconut oil on hand, as it is good for a million and one uses. I had a really bad M yesterday that took 2 Zomig tabs to get rid of. Something I ate or drank at a dinner party the night before. Try as I may to avoid food triggers, sometimes it is impossible. MSG is everywhere.

BTW: I happen to have a jar of Spectrum organic coconut oil and it is specifically intended for cooking and eating... it says on the label: "This oil is best for sautéing or stir-frying over medium high heat or, because of its neutral flavor, for baking." I got it at Winco. One thing to note is that the jar has a warning on it that the oil is processed at a facility that also produces peanut oil, so it may be a problem for people highly allergic to peanuts.

It would be really easy for me to substitute coconut oil for butter and canola oil in cooking. My cat really likes it.

Last edited by ZomigMan on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Seaine wrote:I have not been able to find it in the regular grocery store.  Maybe it would be in a specialty store, but I've just been looking at products on amazon.
We have it here at Winco, an Idaho based grocery warehouse chain that is moving south and east. Spectrum is about $6 for a 14 oz. bottle there. I used to get coconut oil at Whole Foods in California if you have that chain there in FL. They kept it in the refrigerated section, which is likely in Florida as it melts at 76 degrees F. Come to think if it, I remember seeing it at the Piggly Wiggly in Hilton Head, SC when I was there. Looking online at Spectrum, they say that they are sold at Piggly Wiggly stores in FL (for $10... ouch!).
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:47 pm

dcook60: Is this still helping you? How long until you saw some results? I've been trying this but am curious how long of a trial I should do. Agreed the coconut oil is yummy plain or on toast (I don't cook much so I haven't tried cooking with it), and this is certainly something easy/cheap to try. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL Empty tortoisegirl

Post  dcook60 Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:53 pm

hi there everyone,

i saw results almost from the first day....so did my brother, who is 69 and having foot-neuropathy issues/non-diabetic.

have had some setbacks, such as sinus infection (no, it hasn't cured those, which i've had about every 2 months for years and years because of malformations)  and 3 yellow-jacket stings.  hurt hurt hurt, then itch itch itch for over 2 weeks.  one of the stings turned into an infection called cellulitis, for which i had to take an antibiotic.

then, i ate something which should have been safe and wasn't.  so obviously this isn't curing anything, and my head has hurt a lot from all the above stuff.  whatever disorder i've had, since age 29, has come along with (o joy) head pain as well as the other pain.  colds, flu, etc. etc.

now i'm back on track, and can do without daily triptans once again. great, eh?  dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks for the info. So glad it is helpful for you! I'll probably see if I can work more into my diet before giving up, but I haven't noticed any results so far. I don't use a lot of oil/butter and eating more than a teaspoon or so from the spoon grosses me out.

I haven't been doing bad myself. Less severe headache and migraine days thankfully, and taking a break from my abortive pain med has it working better. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:31 pm

in case i didn't mention this before, most people who have had good results (with a variety of disorders) have taken 2-4 tablespoons per day.  me.....still at one T.  i might try to add another 1/2 T. but may not be able to because of the digestive problem.

i consulted a new neurologist today.  it took about 5 months to even get the appointment; he was out of the country for several years, and now is back.  very nice man, very good listener, very popular.  i have literally been waiting to see him for YEARS.

there was no expectation on my part that he would have any answers, since i have tried, through 44 years, lots and lots of things.  the coconut oil has helped me more than anything, ever, except the triptans!  this neuro was very impressed with the oil story, and said he had recommended it for dementia patients, but didn't know much beyond that.

i told him that i would give him an update in a month or two, and possibly try botox again.  since medicare now pays for it, it's a possibility, even though it didn't work for me previously.  (he has a lot of experience doing the shots, whereas my previous neuro had not).

hey, worth a try.  minimally painful.  since all the other suggestions he had i'd already tried, i felt i had to go out of his office with something.......which i will do after we see what the coconut oil will do, long-term.  Smile 

since this "treatment" is so easy, i keep it right by my kitchen sink and i never forget to take it in the morning.  there are other ways to take it than off the spoon as i do.  i can barely tell it's there when i put it in juice.  and i use it in cooking/sauteeing, also.  i'm so excited!!!!  dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL Empty Hi Diane

Post  gailgigi Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Diane: Are things still going well for you with the oil? I hope so. G.
gailgigi
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL Empty Tortoisegirl

Post  gailgigi Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi: Have you had any luck with the coconut oil yet?? I am planning on buying some to give it a try. Let me know. Thanks: Gail
gailgigi
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:49 pm

gail, i sincerely thought i had answered you specifically.  brain freeze, i guess......it's hard to tell what the coconut oil is doing for me right now, as i always have a terrible time head-wise, in the transition period from summer to fall.  head hurts like crazy and even the triptans don't help.

so obviously, it isn't curing the main problem with my head, whatever that may be.  but i will keep on taking it, and hoping that the results are again clearly better than B.C. (before coconut).

hey, it's cheap, easy, and can help the entire body, so i see absolutely no downside.  unless one is allergic to coconut (and people can be allergic/sensitive to ANYTHING) this is my "can't be without" product.  dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL Empty Hi Diane

Post  gailgigi Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Yes, you had answered me previously. My question was to Tortoisgirl. Must be the brain fog you mentioned! Thanks anyway. Gail
gailgigi
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:56 pm

gailgigi: No, I haven't noticed any change. However, I haven't been too good at sticking with even having a small serving each day as its tough to incorporate into what I'm already eating. I think its worth a try though. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:34 am

I recently started using coconut oil and have seen some results. After reading this, I am going to make sure and take it on a regular basis. I'm kind of lax with it right now. I was told by the health professional who suggested it, that if taken in the evening it could give me too much energy. Wouldn't that be awful (and pretty unlikely). Rolling Eyes 

I just keep the jar at room temperature and warm up a TBS in the morning by putting it in a glass and then that glass goes in hot water in a bigger glass. I have to wash it down with a sip of orange juice.

Anything that helps even a little bit is worth it.

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:09 pm

I am trying as a spread on my morning toast.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next