migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada

4 posters

Go down

Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada Empty Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada

Post  kathy Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 pm

We just got Obomacared!! My $500 deductable is now $5,000 with no prescription coverage until the $5,000 out of pocket is met!!! My Zomig will cost me $600/ month. I am looking at Canada for my Zomig and wanted to ask about the difference, if any, in quality of Zomig manufactured outside the U.S. Any info will be appreciated.

Everyone that has good ins. coverage now get ready for this bomb to explode in your wallet. I'm for everyone having ins but this could bankrupt us. My SSD doesn't have Rx coverage.
Thanks and good luck to us all!
Sad 
kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada Empty Re: Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada

Post  ZomigMan Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Yah, its going to be a giant medical and medical insurance disaster. I already have a 5k deductible, and I am exempt from Obama'care' if I stay on my old plan but my cost is going up 20% this year as a result of Obama'care'. Zomig is not cheap, and I have been buying it overseas with an Rx for a while now. There are several places that have it for about $10 a tablet, which is as cheap as I can find. I am switching to generic Imitrex, or Sumatriptan for $2 for a 100 mg tablet. It makes me more sleepy than Zomig, but I can afford to take it.

My insurance company is dis-allowing one of the major hospital groups in the area here and I have been trying to find another Neurologist that is covered. I called to make an appointment with one today, but they require a referral from another doctor. So now I am stuck... I need to see a doctor just to see another doctor... this is not an insurance requirement, they do not care. But the hospital network requires the medical referral. I have a friend that is an Ob/Gyn and I have asked him to refer me. I wonder what they are going to say with a man being referred to them by an Ob/Gyn???

The future of medicine in the US will bankrupt us all. Was a time when I was in my 20s and any job had medical insurance coverage, and a trip to the emergency room, with an X-ray and Rx was all of $40. Today? *cough* it would be more like $1,000. It is completely out of control. Rolling Eyes 
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada Empty Re: Lost prescription coverage need info on Zomig from Canada

Post  Seaine Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Personally I'm happy because I was rejected by all private insurance companies in Oregon due to my pre-existing condition of migraines... therefore had no insurance even though I wanted it.  Starting next year, companies will not be allowed to reject coverage for pre-existing conditions. My job did not offer me insurance. Starting soon as well, companies will be required to provide insurance for their employees or pay a fine. So people like me can actually have insurance and be able to go to the doctor at all.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:29 pm

We are not eligible for Obamacare either but we did the work sheet to check the cost. $15,000 a year. I got the Rx from my doc today for the Zomig to mail out. I had to get an Rx for bronchitis and was surprised that the ins. is still paying on old plan since nothing has been submitted yet. Was able to get my Lidoderm patches for $30 instead of the new $270. That was good news.

When the employee that is sick now gets a $5,000 hospital bill plus another percentage of the next $5,000 I have a feeling things will change. This guy is VERY vocal.
Thanks for your response. I am allergic to all triptans except Zomig Amerge and Frova. The latter 2 aren't good for abortives though.

We did find out the $5,000 deductable is the highest allowed by employers.
Thanks,
Kathy:D 

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 pm

I am not starting a debate.That gets very ugly very fast here. I simply want to know about experiences with Canada mail order meds.
kathy

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Seaine wrote:Personally I'm happy because I was rejected by all private insurance companies in Oregon due to my pre-existing condition of migraines... therefore had no insurance even though I wanted it.  Starting next year, companies will not be allowed to reject coverage for pre-existing conditions.  My job did not offer me insurance.  Starting soon as well, companies will be required to provide insurance for their employees or pay a fine.  So people like me can actually have insurance and be able to go to the doctor at all.
That is odd, as I got LifeWise insurance here in Oregon with pre-existing migraines. I was turned down by several other companies for the migraines before I went to LifeWise.

As for companies being required to have medical coverage for employees, a lot of people are going to be laid off as a result of that, and a lot of companies will only hire part time people as well. Some companies are likely just to pay the fine, rather than give employees medical coverage. The gov't is also allowing a delay of the corporate requirement for employee coverage for another year, and that part of the law will not take effect until 2015.
ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  ZomigMan Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:11 pm

kathy wrote:I am not starting a debate.That gets very ugly very fast here. I simply want to know about experiences with Canada mail order meds.
kathy
Well, the reality of this stuff is going to hit the fan hard and fast, regardless. You pretty much have until the end of the year under your old coverage as it is now (or was) before Obmacare kicks in. In many cases you have until spring of next year to opt in or out of 'Obamacare' according to my insurance company.

My experience with Canada Rx has not been so great (they quoted one price and charged a higher one), but the UK, Mexico and India have been fine. India is slow shipping... but the meds are OK. When I lived in San Diego I used to go to Mexico to get all of my Rx drugs. They were made in Europe or the US, and 10% of the cost as here. Pharma costs are insane, especially for migraines. In the case of Zomig, when I lived in the SF Bay Area, there were commonly runs on that drug there, and many pharmacies were out of it. When I was in the hospital here a few years ago, they did not stock Zomig, and I was given Imitrex instead.

ZomigMan
ZomigMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm

ZomigMan wrote:That is odd, as I got LifeWise insurance here in Oregon with pre-existing migraines. I was turned down by several other companies for the migraines before I went to LifeWise.
I applied for LifeWise first because they seemed to have the best plans. They were the first to reject me.. perhaps because at the time I was using Frova, which is very expensive, and I was filling it more than once per month with a note from my doctor.  Can't apologize for what I need to take for my migraines though, and it's just crap that insurance companies are able to reject for something like this.  I am glad for that change.

I ended up having to use the state run medical insurance pool, which was $340 per month for the premium and had a $5,000 deductable.  Thankfully my parents helped me out with that since I could not afford it.

Just wanted to mention here, something I've found useful with taxes.  Save all your receipts for every doctor visit and every prescription drug you have to pay any money out of pocket for.  At the end of the year if it's above a certain amount you can get money back on it.  Sorry Kathy I know this is only slightly related to your post!  I have never gotten drugs from Canada before but that is an interesting option if anything gets too expensive.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Cassiej Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:27 pm

I've been without insurance for 6 years now due to multiple per existings and have gotten my Zomig from Canada or India. My husband has Medicare but finds many of his drugs are cheaper through Canada. We've never had problems with quality. We do on occasion have problems with timely delivery. You have to reorder just as soon as permitted.

Cassiej

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down