migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neuro News

5 posters

Go down

Neuro News Empty Neuro News

Post  doximom Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi all -- thought I'd share what my new neurologist prescribed for me. I explained that I have extremely low blood pressure, and a history of ulcer, so I am a little wary of some of the drugs and probably won't even take them. But here is the regimen. I'd welcome your comments, thoughts and experience -- thank you so much:

1. Relpax for acute migraine (since I reacted badly to Imitrex).

2. Frova as a preventative for 2 days before my period.

3. Verapamil as a preventative all the other days of the month. Worried about the side effects.

4. Etodolac for little headaches, not full-blown migraines. Never heard of this one.

5. Nabumetone -- this is an anti-inflammatory. She suggested I take this for 1 week to bring down overall inflammation. Recommended I take it with Pepcid, which means it's rough on the stomach.

6. Robaxin for neck pain, because I mentioned that.

7. Metoclopramide for nausea!

doximom

Back to top Go down

Neuro News Empty Re: Neuro News

Post  Mini Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I think you are very wise to be cautious about your neuro's "arsenal" of assorted remedies.

For one thing I am amazed that your neuro prescribed any antinflammatory with your history of the ulcer. This is simply irresponsible.
Antinflammatories can ruin, very quickly, even healthiest of stomach (as I know to my cost after I was prescribed Naproxen as a prventative) now I cannot even take a single aspirin without being in considearble pain.

For another thing, if you start to take all this medicines one after another, how on earth will you ever know if any of them are helping, and which ones.
Another issue is that sometimes side effects are slow to develop at first, so if you get them you will never know what caused what side effect.

BTW many effective preventatives take quite a long time to provided results, so it is never advisable to be trying too many different medicines at the same time.

So, proceed with caution, and if in any doubt seek another neuro's opinion.

Last edited by Mini on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Seaine Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Doesn't Verapamil lower blood pressure? I also have low blood pressure and was prescribed Propranolol, another blood pressure med. I found that it made me extremely tired and extremely cold all the time. The side effects were too much, although it also didn't help my migraines.

Can the Frova only be used for those 2 days? Why not just use Frova as your abortive as well, instead of Relpax? They're both triptans although I know Frova is the only one FDA approved for prophylaxis, it's also approved for abortive. I don't see why you need two different ones when one will do both.

How often do you get the little headaches? Like Mini said it's an NSAID so if you get ulcers, it could give you one.
Seaine
Seaine

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Etodolac is an NSAID. I took it for several years. Can't say it helped much. But no side effects anyway.

Ive also had verapamil. It did not seem to effect my already low blood pressure. No bad side effects. No help with the migraines.

But as usual, individual mileage may vary.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Neuro News Empty Neuro news

Post  Dakota2500 Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 pm

I don't know about that whole regime but I take propranolol. I had very low blood pressure before going on this med so I was worried but it didn't seem to lower my bp at all. Did have a sluggish feeling and really cold hands for awhile but my body seemed to adapt and those symptoms became much less noticeable.

Dakota2500

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down