Botox results- preliminary

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Botox results- preliminary

Post  sailingmuffin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi All,

Well, I saw my new neuro last week and he did Botox injections. I had them two times before- but that was about ten years ago.

They have changed the way they do them- I remember getting only one or two shots in the forehead and one or two in the occipital region when they were done previously (2003). This time, he did several injections in the forehead, in both temples, in the occipital region (he was very careful about the stimulator), and two in the neck.

So far, this, along with the stimulator and medication seems to be helping some. (I am knocking on wood, making the sign of the cross and praying as I write this.) I haven't had to take as much pain medication since the injections and have been able to do a little more. The fainting is unchanged, but this is good news.

I hope it continues. I go back in six weeks for follow up and in 3 mos for repeat injections should these work.

Pain free days,
sailing
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Re: Botox results- preliminary

Post  tortoisegirl on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:09 pm

I hope you have continued relief. You may get even more after the second or third series of shots. However, some folks find it doesn't work for an extended period of time (ie. after getting four or five series of it, it stops working), or doesn't last the three months.

However, especially if it is affordable (as most can get it covered by insurance now under "chronic migraine"), every little bit helps. I think its a good option as it really has a lower side effect profile than most meds. I agree the injection protocol has changed a lot. Even in the last few years. Better to inject a small amount in more places.

I warn you though-at least do more research before letting a doctor inject it into the shoulder area. I had that and did not do well with it, and same for everyone else I've read who has had that done. It causes weakness in the arms. Its not a standard area but I think some doctors mean well and want to try it for patients with shoulder tension from headache. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 am

Always good to hear some better news SM.
I have been considering Botox injection for a some time, and I can have them done here on NHS free ofcourse, but I was also told by some people. that Botox can have some serious side effects.

I also worry about getting this "mask" type of looks that some of the people and celebrities get after having Botox for cosmetic reasons (I think it looks ghastly, they cannot even smile properly ending up looking like lifeless dummies). BTW have you noticed any changes in the way your face looks after the Botox?

Also lately I have longer periods with no head pain, so I am delaying Botox decision so far.

About injecting shoulders to release the tension in this area - it does not make much sense to me, since this is just the result, not the cause of the head pain.
I definitely find that as soon as my head pain gets better the tension disappears immediately. I just tense all over my body unconsciously, when I am in pain, in any area of my body ( Ia lso get Fibro).

Even is I get rid of the tenison completely, by gentle stretching exercise and then wide head gentle vibrator in shoulder neck area, the original pain remains. I am convinced that it is head pain which is causing the tension, not the other way round.
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm

The prescribing info shows a very low rate of serious side effects, but of course that isn't always reality. It seems to be highly related to the doctor skill, such as not getting too close to the eyes. Best to get someone who has done this for awhile and does it often.

I didn't have too much of an issue with facial changes...mostly just that my eyebrows barely moved. It smoothed out the vertical lines between my eyebrows. With the headache injecting pattern, you don't get much beyond that. Me and hubby noticed since we were looking, but no one else would.

I agree it made no since to inject in my shoulder area. I only did it as my doctor wouldn't inject my forehead (as three months later I still had visible effects from the first time), yet I'd have to pay for it since they had ordered it. He suggested the neck & shoulders only. Bad idea. I too get tension as a result of the pain, not the other way around, and have fibro. Some do get the opposite though. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:22 am

Tortoisegirl, thank you very much for the great feedback. It is very encouraging indeed.
I also agree about seeking a docotr who is very experinced in giving these injection (and who probably made all the mistakes in the past and learned from them).
I had few Occipital nerve injection and also came to a conclusion that doctor with much experince gives better resutls. I know it almost straight away if it is likely to be succesful in how he approaches the procedure.
But with Botox I have no experience so I don't know what to look for. I suppose the first time it is always a matter of trust with any procedure.
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top