What do you do?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you do?

Post  ConcordGrape on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Now, I'm trying to stay positive, but...

I'm in the middle of an M attack, Ive lost track of the days its gone on now, about a week or so. It's on and off, but it always comes back. I've taken triptans twice, to no avail. I cant take anymore rescue meds for fear of rebound, so I'm stuck.

I'm just lying in bed, trying not to concentrate on the pain, but there is nothing else I can concentrate on. I finally got up the energy to have some dinner, but stopped when the nausea kicked in. I forced down a glass of water and here I am back in bed. It's too early to sleep but I have nothing else to do.

What do you do in this situation? I am going crazy. I tried to do something but the headache is just too much and I keep stopping to lie down, close my eyes, press on my head.

I have a flight tomorrow that I am just dreading waking up for; I know the headache will still be there. OR if it is gone, it will return after the 5 hours of traveling. Oh my life...
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

hello

Post  gailgigi on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:53 pm

I just wanted to give you my sympathy. Do you take Benydryl? (sp) It might help your sensitivity. I have empathy for you. Just wanted you to know you're not alone.
gailgigi

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you do?

Post  tortoisegirl on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Sorry you are struggling. In my worst pain I either put a show on the tv on really low volume and kind of zone out, or take something so I can sleep. I agree its so hard to not focus on the pain, and when it gets to a certain level, I can't do much of anything, even reading or tv. Often its more the nausea and other symptoms than the pain itself though.

So sorry you have to fly tomorrow. Even if you can't take Triptans, what about something else? Some folks respond to all sorts of stuff, like otc analgesics, Sudafed, Benadryl, Muccinex, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, etc. Best to check with your doctor first though. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:13 am

Wellcome to our forum CG, but I am sorry you have to suffer from migraine which send you here. We can all relate to your feelings of frustration and anger at having to live with this condition which affects all aspects of our lives.
I too must fly tomorrow.
I always stress about all this troublesome airport security rules never knowing what we are allowed to take with us, and what not (like liquid and creams in various cosmetics, and mediaction etc). I hate travelling since this restrictions even more, since I cannot concentrate doing all the packing when my head hurts.
And here, in UK, at the moment the weather is horribleso my head is responding and acting out again.

I had a blissful perdiod of no pain recently thanks to the Occipital Nerve injection which worker very well, for me, but the bad weather and stress of the journey is letting me know who is the boss here. M wins once again.
I hope your head will get better before your journey.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm sorry you're suffering so badly and I hope you are feeling better now.

When migraine strikes, I do this, in this order:

Triptan
Painkillers
Sleep it off (for as long as possible)
Feed it (I find this is really important for me. Which is odd because me and food are not great friends!)
Sleep again.

Sleep is the best medicine for me. Like you, I can't "do" anything mid migraine. I can't read. I can't internet surf. I can't watch tv. I can barely hold a conversation.

I certainly couldn't fly, I really feel for you having to get on a plane Sad
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Thank you for the support. I survived the flight, and as the day progressed the headache did get better. I took an extra dose of muscle relaxant around 2am (I'm already taking a very low dose daily as preventative), so this might have helped. I drank a lot on the plane too, which I think was important. Just glad it's over!
fingers crossed the headache stays away!
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:27 pm

ConcordGrape wrote:Thank you for the support. I survived the flight, and as the day progressed the headache did get better. I took an extra dose of muscle relaxant around 2am (I'm already taking a very low dose daily as preventative), so this might have helped. I drank a lot on the plane too, which I think was important. Just glad it's over!
fingers crossed the headache stays away!
I hope it wasn't alcohol Wink lol
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm

hahaha I WISH
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:51 am

I am glad you flight was all right CC.
Yes, lots of water - at all times - helps. Not just when we are flying.
Luckily my head is fine today so I fear nothing! It seem that my occipital injection is still working. I hope you have great return flight as well.
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  ConcordGrape on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:07 am

The M came back again in full force last night. To the point where I could barely move, so I took a double dose of muscle relaxant and went to sleep (this might become my regular dose now, I'm afraid). I believe my head pain is due to shoulder/muscular issues that have radiated up the spine. I need to correct those first to deal with the M, but this is harder than it sounds...

Glad the injection is working for you Mini, I did ask my dr. about it when I read about it on here. But because of the source of my pain, it seemed to not be a feasible solution. One of these days I figure it all out, and my life will be normal again! Wink [quote]
ConcordGrape

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:55 pm

I have found someone who does a really good deep tissue therapeutic massage. I find this helps a great deal in avoiding the headaches that come from the tense neck and shoulders which really spasm in my case. When I get the massage at least every two weeks, it seems to make a difference. The key is finding someone who really understands the muscle groups. You might give it a try.
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum