Useful discovery

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Useful discovery

Post  Mini on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

This was suggested to me by a friend. I have been complaining how I find it difficult to find (cleaning and other) items with few additives, becasue I seem to be sensitive to almost anything.
Just a whiff of some scent or various preservatives, flavourings and colourings in foods can give me an instant M.

She said that I should try some of the cheapest supermarket own "economy" brands which are usually on the bottom shelf and presented in very plain, often white packaging . These products often contain very few such ingredients. So, I decided to give it a try.

I must say I was at first doubtful about it, but she was right.

I do find that the "economy" comes mainly from using fewer extra ingredients and presentation itself, which often makes the more expensive products not only very tempting, but also very unhealthy.

Yes, it is true that some of this economy products don't taste, or smell as nice - probably because they do not contain many deadly flavouring like MSG, and other viscious chemicals, or fragrances - and yes they do look very plain. But appearances do not bother me.

Not only these supermarket own economy productsy are unbelievably cheap, but most of the cleaning products are just as effective as the most expensive brands, and you can add your own prefered flavours, such as herbs, butter and other favourite flavourings to the foods at home, to make it as tasty as any other.

I like experimenting anyway, because with M you need to be flexible, so I like the idea of such challenge, and therefore some of this cheap economy products are permanently on my shopping list.
Of course I still buy anything other products I like, but I thought I will share this.

BTW I live in UK, but I suppose similar "own" economy supremarket brands are also available in supermarkets in other countries. Just look at the bottom shelf.

Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum