migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are migraines always only one sided??

4 posters

Go down

Are migraines always only one sided?? Empty Are migraines always only one sided??

Post  tinalouise Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:25 pm

I have migraine with aura but lately my daughter has been getting the throbbing headaches, aching behind her eyes and nausea. She has had her sinuses/ears all checked and taken care of but the headaches continue. Hers is usually a pounding, throbbing on both sides though so is this still considered a migraine or something else?? She is going to the doctor on Friday and I want her to ask for pain medicine for it if she can but I am not sure if these are migraines or something else. Any info is appreciated.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Are migraines always only one sided?? Empty Re: Are migraines always only one sided??

Post  Mini Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I am affraid it sounds very much like your daughter has migraines. Many of us suffering with M have experinced that over the years, pain can "travel" almost anywhere all over your head. At the back, on top, on both sides at once, on one side then or another, or behind your eyes, even extending to your teeth.
Somethimes it comes with sickness sometimes not. But it is still migraine.

Some doctors, or even neurologists who are not experinced enough in dealing with M, will try to tell you that M is always one sided, but this is not true. The symptoms of M can vary from one person to another.
And they can vary with the same person. I have suffered from M all my life and I had so many variations of pain, and other symptoms I can hardly remember them all.

If you, or your daughter goes to see her Dr she could ask him to prescribe for heru one of the triptans, such like Sumatriptan (but there are few others, if this oner does not work).

For many of us Sumatriptan is a life safer, by far the most effective of M medictaions. But there are other options too, so keep trying, do not loose hope and keep coming here if you feel like talking again.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Are migraines always only one sided?? Empty Re: Are migraines always only one sided??

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:27 pm

No they are not always one sided. Mine were bilateral for several years before they started being mainly on the left side. And about 1/2 of mine will still be bilateral. If I remember right, I think about 20% of migrainuers report bilateral headaches.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tinalouise Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am

Hey, thank you for the replies, they were very helpful with good information. I was pretty sure they are migraines but wasn't positive since hers usually is a throbbing on both sides. I am hoping that the doctor will prescribe something since none of the otc migraine meds have worked at all. they barely even touch it. Thank you again.

tinalouise

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:16 am

I sometimes have them on both sides. Sometimes it's on both sides in the back of my head. I know they're migraines because Imitrex can help them. I hope you find some help for your daughter.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down