migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Migraines and Dairy

+2
Brenda
LyLy
6 posters

Go down

Migraines and Dairy Empty Migraines and Dairy

Post  LyLy Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:39 pm

I've been seeing an acupuncturist for the past month or so to see if it will help my migraines. (A little background: I've had M for 4 years and get 1-3 migraines/week). At my session 2 weeks ago, she did body talk/biofeedback on me and said she was picking up a dairy allergy. I have never had issues with dairy in the past and have been on general elimination diets before but never cut out dairy completely.

I have been mostly dairy-free for 2 weeks and have seen slight results. My good days are better and my head feels clearer. When I try to reintroduce dairy into my diet, I either get a headache or have a day with the right side of my head feeling clogged and heavy. I saw my regular doctor today and discussed this with him and he is agreeing with the acupuncturist and suggesting I go a whole month on a strict dairy free diet. I am willing to try it if it helps my migraines, but it is hard. I love cheese and ice cream! i can be strong and make it through this next month.

Has anyone else noticed any issues with dairy or tried a dairy free diet before?

LyLy

Back to top Go down

Migraines and Dairy Empty Re: Migraines and Dairy

Post  Brenda Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:29 pm

I've never tried going dairy free. I love all milk products so much I don't know if I could cut them out. That said, have you tried the rice cream non dairy ice cream and/or the soy or almond milk?
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Migraines and Dairy Empty RE:migraines & dairy

Post  Barb21 Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm

I have not ever tried to go dairy-free, I love cheese and ice cream! I have done elimination diets to check for triggers, did not come up with any particular food or food groups, I just have to be sure to eat (and drink) enough during the day, otherwise I wake up with a severe migraine. Dehydration is a huge trigger for most people, by the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated! I live in the (very hot) desert so it is very important here!

Barb21

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilFluorescents Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I'm on Dr. Buchholz elimination diet + the GARD diet (No Dairy, No Soy, No Corn, No Gluten). Needless to say, there is a quite a bit that I can't have at the moment. I think it's made a little bit of a difference. My guess is that gluten is a aggrevating factor for me (runs in the family).

The one dairy product that I've really missed while on this trial diet is ice cream. I've recently found a coconut ice cream that is tasty.

It's interesting that you love your dairy so much. I've heard it said that food triggers are often the foods that we love the most.

EvilFluorescents

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Thats great you picked up on something! Keep in mind it might not be all dairy? Sometimes its the whey or the lactose or whatever (so you can have certain things). They do have some great substitute stuff out there. Some is more rich in the fats and lower protein, but you can get your fix. It would be interesting to get a dairy allergy test to see if it is allergy or intolerance.

I have tried dairy free (and gluten, vegan, migraine triggers, etc), but I think I have too sporadic of issues and more than one group that is bothering me. I'm instead trying meals of a single food group to see if I get an increase in symptoms (more stomach stuff than head for me though), as I have too many potential items to do a single elimination diet. I think it could be one or a combo of lactose, fructose, fructans, carbs/sugars, etc. I'm struggling with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, but the symptoms seem to really come and go. What seems to affect or not affect me changes. Very frustrating. Best wishes.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:43 pm

I had a problem a few months back where I had two really bad days and the only thing different is that I had cereal (with milk) for breakfast whereas I usually don't. Since it's unlikely I had a trigger from the Rice Chex, I suspect the milk, but I have not done it again to find out.

I normally do not drink milk and haven't since I was very little. I don't seem to have any problem with cheese or ice-cream.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down