migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END

3 posters

Go down

Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END Empty Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END

Post  Brenda Sun May 29, 2011 7:43 am

I got a call from Mom this morning. Dad had a severe gall bladder attack through the night and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. We knew surgery was coming anyway, he had an appointment on this coming Tuesday with a surgeon to see about having it done.

Please pray that he does well through the surgery and recovery. I know he wasn't looking forward to being given general anesthesia because they need to intubate him when he's awake because of a problem with his throat (last time, he ended up on a trach)

Any surgery on someone in their 80's carries extra risks. I'm pretty concerned. We'll be heading up there when we find out of they keep him for surgery, which is what we're hoping for.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Brenda on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END Empty re:prayers

Post  lentils Sun May 29, 2011 9:48 am

Brenda,
Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he has a good outcome. You are in my thoughts.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END Empty Re: Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END

Post  Brenda Mon May 30, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks. I heard from Mom that they cannot do the surgery until they can get the infection and inflammation down. Makes me angry because he's been getting sicker and weaker waiting to get an appointment with the surgeon. I blame them for this bad turn. Sad

Will let you know when I know more.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  carlajo Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope surgery goes well and that his anxiety isn't too high as he waits for relief...

Keep us updated!

Sending Prayers and Hugs from Nebraska,
Carlajo:)

carlajo

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Thanks for the prayers, good wishes, and concern. They were able to remove the stone from the duct via endoscope today. He's now just waiting for the gall bladder to drain and for the inflammation to go down so he can have it removed. He did well with today's surgery, thank God.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Dad's Surgery--UPDATE AT END Empty Update on Dad and his surgery

Post  Brenda Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:45 pm

I thought I had posted an update here about Dad's surgery. Either I dreamed it or it's floating out in cyber space somewhere. Dad went in for surgery on Friday. They started to do the laproscoptic one, but found he had cysts on his liver from the infection and bile back up. They had to open him up and drain and suture those before they could remove his gallbladder.

Thankfully, he was relatively healthy for his age other than being so sick and weak from this 'bout. He came through the surgery ok, but had a lot of pain, as you can well imagine. They put him on a morphine pump the first day (which broke after a couple of hours.) He's a stubborn guy and refused to use a bed pan or urinal even the first day. So even though he'd had major abdominal surgery, he was up walking a few hours afterward. He amazes me.

I thought for sure he'd be in the hospital until probably Wednesday, but he's doing well enough that they're sending him home tomorrow. He's even allowed to drive and climb stairs. Not too shabby for an 84 year old man 4 days post op from a very serious surgery.

I know it's from all the prayers and good thoughts sent his way. Thanks everyone. My family and I really appreciate it.

Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down