migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car break in

4 posters

Go down

Car break in Empty Car break in

Post  lissy Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 am

Hi

Well what a day. My car was broken into last night and my bag and contents stolen. I was having a reasonibly good day and decided to go for a nice walk down by the river about 10mins from where I live. Parked the car, hid my bag then off for a nice walk. 45mins later I returned to find my car window smashed and my bag and scarf stolen. I don't know about everyone else I have EVERYTHING in my bag. All my cards, cash, I had a store voucher, all my prescription medication (including the prescriptions themselves), I'd just bought some additional things from my naturopath as well that afternoon and of course my phone. Few other bits and pieces and some really personal stuff that I've been discussing with my psychologist. I feel so violated.

Worst part of all was my house keys were also in the bag. I was sooo freaked out last night. I live on my own and was so scared they would come to the house - didn't sleep a wink and had a cricket bat by my bed all night! I don't know how someone can to this. They tried to use my credit card 4 times at different stores over about 3hrs as well - different suburbs. First was a bank ATM, then a shop in centre ending with a video store in another suburb. Guess they wanted to watch a movie and already spent the cash they'd stolen. I am soooo angry! It turns out that the first transaction was only 5 mins after I left the car so they were obviously watching me. That's rather scary too.

Today has been a nightmare cancelling everything, arranging for all the house locks to be changed (that was a battle with the real estate I'm renting from) and getting my car fixed! No I have no money, all my accounts suspended and no ID. Now have to arrange for my Doctor to send me prescriptions so I can get my meds too. This is so frustrating!

Anyway just come here for a vent and everyone please never leave your bag in the car, even if it is hidden!!!

Stay safe everyone,
Lissy
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Car break in Empty Re: Car break in

Post  Mini Thu May 26, 2011 4:57 am

Dear Lissy,
I am so terribly sorry - what a nightmare indeed.
I am extremely safety conscious and careful about things like that, but the other night I have forgotten to lock my kitchen door at night, and anyone could have walked in the house and robbed me. I felt terrible when I discovered this in the morning.

I always, always check all my doors and windows at night, so I have no idea how I managed to forget - but I am sure that our migraine heads make us extremely forgetful and distracted so I am sure that I could've easily done what you describe.

Such people obviously wait and pounce on people when they feel more relaxed and do not suspect such evil in a beautiful place. It makes me so cross!

The damage they cause can not be caclulated in terms of money; the stress, insecurity, worry and loss of belief in human nature, is incalculable and lasting.
What is even worse thay they usually use the stolen goods and money for drugs or to harm themselves and others.

I take it that you reported it to the police and got some sort of additional protection to make you feel more safe in days to come.
If not ask them what is the best course of action for you, and how to make yourself safe.

Do you have any Victim protection system?
If so get in touch with them and ask their advice.

Tell us of any further developments, please.

I hope they catch the criminal, from the video tapes in the shops where s/he used the cards. Most shops have them these days, so it should not be too difficult.

Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Car break in Empty car break in

Post  lentils Fri May 27, 2011 7:25 am

Lissy,
So sorry to hear about your car damaged and the items stolen. It happened to me, too. It certainly can cause anxiety and a migraine. I'm glad you're not hurt.
lentils

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  lissy Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks. Yes I have reported it to the Police although with the experience I've been having with them, they don't seem to be doing anything. I've been doing all the "detective" work, trying to get hold of the stores and ATM video footage as evidence. Even the girl I spoke to at one of the stores remembers the person but police are not even interested in getting a statement or description from her. I'm shocked really. One of the stores has been really helpful and found the video footage however their footage is on a timer and is wiped every 30 hrs and they couldn't stop or back it up as they were having problems. Anyway I rang and told the Police that they would need to go down and view it now or it was going to be wiped. The person I spoken to was useless - started quizzing me about the stores security, why they couldn't back it up and all these other questions! I couldn't believe it. In the end He said they would send some police officers down to view it but I've heard nothing in the last 24hrs so who know's if they actually did. If they didn't, then the evidence is gone. I'm shocked at the lack of concern by our Police department here. I know its pety theft to them but it was about $900 worth of stuff (which to me is huge) and add that up with all the other poor soles that have probably been broken into and that's a lot!

I feel so violated. So drained and I went to work yesterday but not sure I did anything. I feel so exhausted and worried this is going to bring on a bad migraine. I'm trying to calm down but its easier said than done! Anyway I'm going to see my little niece today and she has the brightest smile that would cheer anyone up so hoping she can help (she's only 20 months).

My mood did lift a little the other day when I was sitting in the car repair place. There was the really sweet old lady who was chatting to me and asking me what had happened. After I explained everything and the fact they had taken all my money and now my accounts were frozen, she asked me if I had money for food, petrol and if my parents were around! She was so sweet and I said I was OK and didn't need anything. As she was leaving she come over to me and handed me some money! She said I couldn't go around with no money and she wanted to give me something. She flat out refused taking it back even though I kept saying I was ok. When she walked out she said "God bless". She was so sweet - a perfect stranger trying to help. I nearly had a tear in my eyes. It was nice to know there are still a lot of caring people out there and that really lifted my mood for the afternoon! So something good out of all this bad stuff!

Thanks for letting me vent in here!

Lissy
lissy
lissy

Back to top Go down

Car break in Empty car break in

Post  lentils Mon May 30, 2011 8:46 am

The story about the woman giving you money reminded me of why I love and miss Australia:).

Last edited by lentils on Mon May 30, 2011 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't get quotes to work)

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  kathy Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am

We have a chronic problem here with car break ins. Last winter some teens were at it again and the police got a call about 4a.m. so they went and took the complaint and then looked in the snow and gues what... The teens left tracks so they followed the tracks and after a while they led right to them!

This should be on America's dumbest criminals!
kathy Laughing Rolling Eyes

kathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down