migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England welcomes President Obama

4 posters

Go down

England welcomes President Obama Empty England welcomes President Obama

Post  Mini Mon May 23, 2011 3:32 pm

After Ireland, where President Obama was visitng town of his ancestors and meeting his distant cousins, tomorrow The President and the First Lady are visiting England staying with the Queen at the Buckingham Palace - he is always, a most welcome guest in our country.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

England welcomes President Obama Empty Re: England welcomes President Obama

Post  Brenda Mon May 23, 2011 10:19 pm

I hope if he brings the Queen a gift this time, it's something more appropriate. I'll never understand why he'd give royalty well into her 80's an ipod. Smile
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Tue May 24, 2011 2:17 am

I did not know about that, Brenda - but I suppose, The President knew that thet Queen Elizabeth has a good sense of humour, and she would probably just have a giggle.
Mind you, i Pod might be very useful whenever she would like to listen to the horse race results (about which she is passionate) during some boring functions that she needs to attend?

Even at 85, The Queen is extremely active, and still attends over 200 official engagemnts a year, and most of them very boring, so I suppose i Pod might be very useful for her.
And besides, what do you give a person who has everything?

Still I would not dare - your President has got guts and a great sense of humour as well as saving US taxpayer money on some extravagant but often unwanted gifts that are usually given on such state occasions.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed May 25, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm not sure whether it is true or not, but I have read in several places that she was offended by the gift. Who knows. Personally, I'd be happy with an iPod, and maybe she was too. I do know she's very active and in great shape for her age.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

I belive that this time round The Queen was given a very thoughtful gift - some important documents and records of her parents visit in USA in 1939. She adored her parents, so I am sure this gift was very much appreciated. I also love my iPod, Brenda.

I use it often to listen to radio when doing household chores (which I hate) and music when I go walking.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed May 25, 2011 6:16 pm

I use ours when I'm doing housework too. It helps the time pass faster. Smile
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Wed May 25, 2011 6:29 pm

I have some meditation tapes and "white noise" (to help me sleep) on my iPod. However, I really appreciate it, when I am in the doctor's waiting room.

My favorite bit of music on my iPod is "Africa" by Toto and some of Paul McCarthy songs, like "Long Winding Road."

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Enigma Fri May 27, 2011 10:56 pm

I can't imagine what the heck you would buy the Queen of England ??!!?? I would think she would have two of everything by now and there would be no surprises. I imagine she has a big regifting room where she recycles all the thousands of gifts she's given every year.
Enigma
Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sat May 28, 2011 7:33 pm

I've read that Queen Elizabeth gives everyone the same gift. A silver frame with a photo of her and her husband inside. She wants to make sure that everyone gets the same gift so that nobody feels more or less important than another. Good practice.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 am

This is quite an amusing article on the subject of what gifts are guven to the Queen by foreign dignitaries.
It also mentions the iPod in question (in a positive way!). I am sure she has prefred it to the French President's Pompidou's strange gift.
You are quite right Brenda, the Queen gives her signed photograph.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down