migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prodromes. What are they?

+9
tecky
mxgo
living
dcook60
charmed quark
02R96
Jewishmother
Tamsha101
Migrainegirl
13 posters

Go down

Prodromes. What are they? Empty Prodromes. What are they?

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 pm

So night before last I woke up with completely blocked sinuses and a migraine coming on. I took antihistamine, but it didn't get better until I took a triptan, then I could finally go back to sleep.
This was very strange because I dont generally have any allergies, and nothing was bothering my sinuses either before I went to bed or the next day. I wonder if it was a prodrome. Has any one ever had blocked sinuses serve as a prodrome for a migraine?

The only prodrome I've ever had before is a total "hate the world" type feeling an hour or two before the migraine hits. I don't get visual auras. What prodomes do other people get?

What causes these prodromes anyway? The mood shift I understand, as we get a seratonin drop before migraines typically, but I dont know what causes the other things.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Prodromes. What are they? Empty Re: Prodromes. What are they?

Post  Tamsha101 Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 pm

I often get very fatigued before a migraine hits and yawn a lot. I also find myself getting very irritated at the littlest things. At night when I'm sleeping I get very warm, kind of like having menopausal hot flashes, covers on and off, then I know I'm in for a migraine the next day.

Then the aura(s) hit - numbess and tingling in hands and face, anxiety attacks, phantom smells, trouble talking, weakness in legs, horrible ear ringing and vertigo. These auras can go on for minutes to hours, go away and come back again. I used to get visual aura (scotoma) but not so much anymore.

Then the headache phase hits. I used to get severe one sided pain but as I got older the headaches have lessened. If I do get one it's fairly moderate and usually at the back of my head, more pressure than anything. I also get mild nausea. Some of the aura(s) stay with me during this phase as well.

I used to only get migraine maybe 10 times a year. Over the past 4 to 5 months they are now daily. Some days worse than others. I am currently taking 30 mg of Cymbalta (been on it for 6 weeks now) and 20 mg of nortryptaline (on this for about 3 weeks). So far I dont see much progress.

30 minutes on the treadmill daily seems to lessen the severity of my attacks. I eliminated a lot of the migraine food triggers from my diet although food was never a trigger for me - mostly stress and sleep disturbance/lack of/too much. I am slowly adding foods back into my diet to see if it makes a difference. I REALLY missed my morning coffee and have had 1 cup the past two mornings. Like pure heaven! Dont see it making a difference in my headaches so will continue with it.

I have yet to see a lot of improvement in my daily headaches and am getting very frustrated. Just started back to work part-time after being off for four months trying to get this under control. Still dont know what caused this bad bout of attack.

I guess I wrote a little more info than what you were asking huh? Sorry.....

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  Jewishmother Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 am

I am sorry I do not know what is actually happening in our heads when the prodrome starts but I just wanted to say that it has taken me years to tell the difference between migraine and sinus systems..........it sounds like what you were experiencing may have been a prodrome.
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 am

Oh yeah, I know all about Prodrom's. Burning eyes, irritability, hypersensitive hearing and eye pain all occur just before onset of a migraine (for me).

I believe there is something called a Postdrom too which occurs after the migraine diminishes. In my case it's crushing fatigue. Sleep
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  charmed quark Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Before I get a migraine I usually feel fatigued, irritable, start having cognitive problems and a bit of vision blur. And now that you mention it, I often get a stuffy noise that continues into the migraine.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm

me too; very stuffy nose, and uncontrollable fatigue. i.e.: falling asleep on the couch at 7 pm and not being able to stay awake no matter what.

always, i have a stuffy nose because of sinus malformations, but during a prodome it is worse. also, my nose hurts. dianne
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Today I was wiped out by severe fatigue right after breakfast. Sure enough, headache by noon. I never realized the fatigue was a prodrome, and not just another side effect of the headaches.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  living Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:25 am

I always get a blocked nose on whichever side the migraine is on. I thought i had sinus for years before I realised it was migraines. My pain is temporal/orbital so doctors always told me it was sinus too. Even had CT scans etc which found inflammation. I assume that this 'inflammation of the blood vessels' we hear about with migraine is all over the place including the mucus membranes and that causes stuffiness?? I always feel like I'm a bit confused about whether I should be taking an antihistamine and to be honest, today I went and bought anti-inflammatories becuase I'm sick of it lol.

I don't know what my prodrome is - it seems to be so different depending on what type of migraine I'm getting, what time of the month, what the weather's like lol. I might crave food, be yawning, irritble, giggly and stupid (very embarrassing subsequently!), have a feeling of the shape of the pain before the pain onset, be cognitively vacant, husband tells me I get crazy irrational etc etc - lots of different things. Maybe that's just me and I have no prodrome lol!! Except a migraine follows Razz

living

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:52 pm

It is interesting that so many people get the stuffy nose problem. I had never heard that before.

This sounds weird, but what about hot feet? I keep getting hot feet when I have a migraine. Nothing seems to help except applying a a soothing lotion. Does anyone else get this symptom?
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 pm

It is interesting that so many people get the stuffy nose problem.

Me too.
Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat May 07, 2011 8:37 am

Migrainegirl wrote:This sounds weird, but what about hot feet? I keep getting hot feet when I have a migraine. Nothing seems to help except applying a a soothing lotion. Does anyone else get this symptom?

I do occasionally. It's weird because usually my feet are freezing. I wear wool socks most of the time.

I experience the inflamed sinus(es) too. I think everything inside our poor heads gets inflamed.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  amy Tue May 24, 2011 7:14 am

ditto on the stuffy nose!
amy
amy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 pm

I tend to get very sleepy and yawn. I also notice that my eyes tend to get puffy and have a burning sensation. Sometimes I get extremely hungry. I wonder if it's my body getting ready for an extended time of not being able to keep food down.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Sun May 29, 2011 6:53 am

I get the stuffy nose thing as well. Not all the time, but for some migraines. These also usually happen to be my most severe migraines. Anytime I start to get nose blockage and burning eyes, I know I'm in for a nasty one.

Also, someone mentioned they get the nose blockage on the same side as the migraine. That is exactly what happens to me.

I also get the horrible fatigue that people mention without fail before an attack. And, I also get massive carbohydrate cravings. I could eat 2 lbs of crappy food and still be craving more.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Mule Kick Mon May 30, 2011 2:02 am

I am in the stuffy nose group, too.

Also, I find that I often get nosebleeds in conjunction with my migrains. The nosebleed / migraine connection was disscussed on the old forum.
Mule Kick
Mule Kick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum