migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bout FMLA/Disability??

4 posters

Go down

Bout FMLA/Disability?? Empty Bout FMLA/Disability??

Post  hunter46 Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Since I have been let go from 3 jobs, I am really scared that I might loose another one/this one!!! My husband has suggested (in the past) to file for disability. But at that time i just felt like i had more of a fight left in me and i felt like people would look at me and wonder what was wrong since i am young (29).

Now I am just worried about my employer will get sick of me being off due to M, like all the others ones have in the past! Just wanted to know if anyone had any info about FMLA or disability to share. Thanks
hunter46
hunter46

Back to top Go down

Bout FMLA/Disability?? Empty Re: Bout FMLA/Disability??

Post  Tamsha101 Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 pm

Not really info but I've been on disability for the past 4 months due to migraine. I just started back to work part-time, working my way back to full time. The fortunate thing for me is my immediate supervisor's daughter has bad migraine so he understands. The unfortuante thing for me is they decided to keep the temp on who was filling in for me and they seem very happy with her. I sit like a lump and they give her more and more responsibility. I've been with my company for 10 years this month. I have a funny feeling I may eventually be "nicely" let go and yes, they can get away with it believe it or not. I've seen it happen time and time again. They give you a "decent" severence so you dont pursue legal action - who wants to waste that on lawyer's fees? Just another stressor to add to my migraine nightmare!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:09 pm

Well, I am in Ohio, so I am not sure if all the legalities are the same everywhere. I think you have to be at your job for a year, or something like 1240 hours, look in your benefits package, to qualify for FMLA. I had it at my last job. I had a letter written by my DR and gave it to the HR dept. I was able to call off work and say I was using FMLA, without penalty. Yes, there are ways for your employer to get around it, if they want you out, they will find a way. I believe that there is a limit on the number of days, but I think it is pretty high.

I am 33, and have been on disability for a few years. I have worked barely part-time on and off during that time. There are stipulations on the amount of $$ you can make in a month. $800 for me. It may be differet where ever you are. It took me 2 & 1/2 years to get a hearing. I had to appeal twice and get a lawyer, soooo if you are thinking about it, START NOW! I was fortunate. My case went to court, and I received a bench decision. I started getting checks in about 4 weeks, and I got a lump sum going back 3 & 1/2 years within 3 weeks. It is a long, difficult, and sort of scary process, but getting a decision like that is somewhat of a vindication. It is also sort of a victory for all of us, recognizing migraine for what it is.

Good luck. If you have any questions you can IM me or post or whatever. I hope I can be of some help.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:15 pm

FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down