migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just can't win...

+2
sailingmuffin
Tamsha101
6 posters

Go down

Just can't win... Empty Just can't win...

Post  Tamsha101 Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:38 pm

Since my chronic migraine episodes started in November, I have been sleeping horribly. Last night was the first night since then that I actually slept for 7 hours straight. Of course what happens? I get a migraine today! I just can't win!!

Anyone else get headaches going from crappy sleep to a great sleep?

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Just can't win... Empty Re: Just can't win...

Post  sailingmuffin Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi,

I have found that my headaches can knock me out and wake me up. However, being tired makes the headache much worse. Have you talked to your neuro about a preventative like zanaflex or something that will allow you to sleep and help the headache?

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 am

There is definitely connection between migraine a sleep. Little like: what comes earlier chicken or egg. Sometimes migraine is caused by too much sleep, sometimes by not enough. Sometimes I get migraine if I sleep in the day, or too long. Sometimes migraine can wake me up too early so I cannot get enough sleep.
Sometimes just before bad migraine I feel very, very sleepy the day before.
I can see how frustrating it is for you not to be able to sleep, or getting migraine when you can, I am so sorry - as you say, we cannot win.

However the idea that taking preventative might be a good one. I am on Gabapentin and this makes me quite sleepy, especially if I take a double dose in the evening.
In fact I sleep very well since I started taking it and this definitely helps.

Last edited by Mini on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  McCabeRoad Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Melatonin 25 mg, does help sleep thru a migraine! It helps me and I can take 25 mg every 4 hours or so.
McCabeRoad
McCabeRoad

Back to top Go down

Post  stephgood Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 pm

I take the Melatonin at night. I don't take much though. It is a 3mg tablet that I often cut in half.
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 pm

If I get a poor nights sleep, I will generally end up with a migraine the next day. And when I have a migraine I generally sleep very poorly. Doesn't help much.

So if it looks like I won't be able to sleep, for what ever reason, I take a Tizanadine, which is a muscle relaxant prescribed for my neck. It also knocks me out so it works great for sleep issues. If you don't have access to a prescription for this, I also found Tylenol PM works really well for sleep issues.

I should point out though that I have never gotten a migraine from too much sleep. So if that is a problem for you, this might not be a good idea.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  McCabeRoad Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Tylenol PM gives me "restless legs" and I agree about too much sleep. Migraine people do best staying on a strict sleeping schedule, even on weekends.
The melatonin WORKS and it is not dangerous.
I take 10 mg Time Released tablets every night at 9:30 PM. I try to stay on that schedule and get up every morning at 6 AM.
McCabeRoad
McCabeRoad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum