migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barre Lieou Syndrome

3 posters

Go down

Barre Lieou Syndrome Empty Barre Lieou Syndrome

Post  mxgo Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:45 am

Look at the symptoms of Barre Lieou Syndrome, they are so similar to migraines:

http://www.caringmedical.com/conditions/Barre-Lieou_Syndrome.htm

Martin

mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Barre Lieou Syndrome Empty Re: Barre Lieou Syndrome

Post  ajr Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Oh my gosh, Martin! This sounds like me and possibly my son! I only wish it was closer to where I am located - I'm going to read more about it. Thanks so much for posting this.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Here is the main site, where you can find an MD who specializes in prolotherapy:

http://getprolo.com/why_get_prolotherapy_alderman.htm

Within the web site, they mention Barre Lieou Syndrome.

Lucky me, there is an md, who is close to where I live. I will have to wait and get my budget in order, before checking it out.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Very interesting link. Many symptoms sound similar to migraine, and the whiplash and neck issues all fit.

It days that the prolotherapy works by inducing inflammation, with the idea that inflammation leads to healing. But inflamatation seems to be one of the things that contributes to migraine, so that would seam to work opposite of what you would expect. Also, if inflamation leads to healing, then wouldn't all these years of inflammation during migraines be self correcting? Not sure I understand this treatment approach.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Good question, MigraineGirl. The inflammation they are talking about causes scar tissue or collagen formation where the tendon meets the bone, thus stabilizing the tear (I think that is what they mean).

Here is a forum that covers the pros and cons of the treatment:
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=423182#i
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  ajr Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:19 pm

The thing that confused me a bit, is that the only "fix" for the syndrome seems to be prolotherapy....is that true? Is there no other (inexpensive) way to fix the neck ligaments? Hmmm...I can't tell what to think about that. But it seems to really apply to me so I think it's definitely a syndrome, just wonder if the prolotherapy is for real. You know what I mean.
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

Post  mxgo Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 am

ajr, like you, I also wonder if it is for real. Here is another website that describes the procedure for neck pain: http://getprolo.com/case_history_neck_pain_2.htm. Note, the description of symptoms by the patient, they match a lot of us headache people.

However, the procedures that I have tried, all had glowing reviews, but somehow they have not worked on me. Admittedly, I have had limited success with acupuncture. I have been using baclofen (I cut a 10 mg tablet in quarters and take one every couple of days) to supplement the acupuncture sessions, and that has helped with the headaches and muscle tightness. Without the baclofen, the headache relief with this acupuncturist has been spotty, but I've had muscle tightness relief with her treatments (toyohari acupuncture).

I will check out the procedure in about a couple of months. I want to see if being off statins, for a couple of months, will have any effect on the headaches due to muscle tightness.

I've ordered a book to look into the procedure. Amazon has some reviews on the book and reviews by people who tried the procedure. There are some bad reviews and a lot of good reviews in some of the Prolotherapy forums (posted above).

An article, from the Mayo Clinic says that it works in combination with other therapies. They are probably talking about physical therapy and meds (just my guess). Dr E. Koop, a former Secty of Health, had the procedure and wrote a letter of appreciation in one the web sites, mentioning success with his problem.

It is not covered by Medicaid and many insurances.

Youtube has videos showing the procedure on various parts of the body; shoulder, neck, knees, and etc.

Martin
mxgo
mxgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down