migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this?

5 posters

Go down

Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this? Empty Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this?

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi All,

Lately, I have noticed that I become very apprehensive just before a migraine hits. Basically, at the point where I can feel the migraine coming on, but I do not know how bad it will be yet. I get very anxious and a little scared. I am also so thoroughly frustrated that I begin to wonder why I have to fight another bad one. I don't want to, but I don't have a choice. I basically long to either crawl under the covers and sleep or hide until it is over, or dread it to the point of depression- wishing I could do anything not to have to fight it. I don't know what to do anymore.

Triptans don't work. and nothing really works to catch it early.

I know I'll keep fighting, because I have no choice, but I am tired and I want this to stop.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this? Empty Re: Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this?

Post  Tamsha101 Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi

Yes, I get fearful and full of anxiety. Nothing seems to help me but riding it out. Lately I've been having trouble sleeping and sleep disturbance or lack of equals migraine for me. I lay awake at night getting full of anxiety knowing that the sleep thing will undoubtedly give me a migraine It's a vicious circle. I have a prescription of Ativan - lowest dose. I bite one in half when I feel the anxiety coming - helps a bit. Not a drug to get hooked on though so I use them sparingly. I KNOW how you feel!

Tamsha101

Back to top Go down

Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this? Empty Re: Apprehension and fear before m hits- does anyone else have this?

Post  stephgood Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am

I used to get that way. Now that I look back I feel that it makes the whole migraine worse. I think it raises your BP and your anxiety and can perpetuate the situation, and prevent you from being able to calm yoursel, which can help control some of the pain and other symptoms. I grew into an attitude of deal with it when it happens. I used to have these things daily. It was going to happen. Even when I could feel it coming on, I stopped worrying about how bad it was going to be because, well, honestly, I have had them so bad they can't get worse, and I survived. I guess I figure that after several years of daily migraines, I can withstand just about anything. Here is an example, when I was in labor, I played cards, I thought, I can do this, seriously its just going to be for a day or so....60hours later they did a c-section! But the whole times, I thought, I can do anything , especially if I know how long it is going to last! That is the worst part about the migraine though, you don't know just how long you will have to endure. If there was a set time limit, I am sure you would think, "well I can do this for an hour, or however long", but there isn't and the fear is that it WILL NEVER END!!! Yeah, I did 6 years of the never ending migraine. I still have daily pain, but not like that and I look back and wonder how the hell I survived it, but I did. If I can do it for 6 years...then I can withstand about anything. I don't like it, but it is what it is. Good Luck I feel your pain...too funny...I literally feel it!!! Smile
stephgood
stephgood

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice and replies.

The migraine hit with a vengence toward the end of church this morning. It is the no-holds barred, crawl into a dark room type of migraine. My pain level is hovering around a 9 with meds and close to a ten without. Tylenol 3, Klonopin, and benedryl are taking the edge off. I am also trying all the usual methods of distraction-watching something on the computer, attempting to read- but I can't follow the story when it is this bad, and just trying to survive.

as you said, the worst part about migraine is not knowing when it is going to end. (and yes, Steph, I can totally see a migraneur playing cards during labor- knowing that the end result would be a beautiful baby- very cute in the picture.} I guess I am just frustrated because the migraine just drains all my energy and I want it to stop.

I do get scared sometimes when the pain level gets too high, but it isn't terrible. Klonopin is also of on the meds I take for migraine so that helps a lot. I am not sure about the BP spike though, as mine always runs low and I faint constantly with or without the migraine.

I see my neuro tomorrow. I may ask if we cfan go ahead and set up an IV of depakan if this doesn't improve- that way we will have the order in place if I need it. I am also going to ask about oral depakote and see if that helps to maintain the migraines.

I know i'll survive, but sometimes just surviving is frustrating. But I know I will survive.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Sailing,
I am so sorry you are still dealing with such a high level of pain on a regular basis. I get anxiety also with migraines. Mine comes from not knowing how bad it will be. Mine seem to be evolving into something less easily treated and with much more nausea/vomiting.

I pray for menopause to get here! I dont do well with anti-anxiety meds, so I just wait it out. If it gets really bad (the I wish I werent alive feeling) I call my sister or best friend who get migraines. They can usually calm me down. I hope you get some relief soon. Not really fair to get struck with a bad one in church.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  lizholmesod Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am

The other thing to remember is that this might not just be circumstantial. Of course we get anxious about what an oncoming migraine might bring, but migraine can also cause a big crash in serotonin and other 'feelgood' hormones, so your mood can plummet into anxiety/depression because of this chemical imbalance.

Allow yourself to feel anxious and upset, but give yourself a break too - some of these feelings you might not be able to help... all part of the "joy" of migraine!

LH

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down