migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have?

+4
WitsEnd
dawn.binks
Petzi
pen
8 posters

Go down

our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have? Empty our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have?

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:40 pm

i've read a few reports that are showing you guys are getting some good snowfall....so how are you doing?

i'm ready for our snow along the great lakes.....all wheel drive, snow tires, and a rather hefty snow-thrower.

-mgb

Back to top Go down

our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have? Empty Re: our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have?

Post  pen Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Well here in the south...well just north of London, we have no snow at all .....yet.
My family live in the North East and on the phone yesterday, I learned it was minus 8,
And the snow was up to my rellie's knees. Where it had drifted it is up to her waist.
They cant get the car down the hill, and would never get it back up again, so they are pretty much snowed in .
Do they live in the country.....no, they live within half a mile of the River Tyne and the big city of Newcastle....

The snow is mainly down the East coast at the moment.
My brother in law came down today from the North West and saw no snow at all.

How is it over there?

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have? Empty Re: our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have?

Post  Petzi Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Porsche Fan,

I am glad there is no snow so far. It doesn’t snow often in London, but when it does it causes complete and utter chaos. 1cm of snow is enough for some people to stay at home from work and school.

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:37 pm

Ha, 1cm of snow.......Sorry Petzi. We get a lot of snow, so I'm used to it.

I know, it larger and warmer areas that a few cm or 1-2" of snow can shut everything down. We had about 3" of snow over the weekend while further up Lake Erie they had about 12-16." Wind direction plays a big role in who gets how much snow and when.

I'm very surprised we haven't had more snow by now.

Glad to hear you guys haven't been snowed in!

-mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Same here. I am a child of the Alps and am used to heaps of snow. I have never experienced any occasion where anybody stayed at home because of the snow. I remember sometimes there was just too much snow for the school bus to collect the kids higher up on the mountains. They would then ski down to school and go back home via ski lift.

I can't wait for white Christmas back at home. I love it when everything is covered under a thick white layer of freshly fallen fluff. I can snuggle up at home in front of a fire and have some non-alcoholic Gluehwein. Cheers everyone!

P.
Petzi
Petzi

Back to top Go down

our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have? Empty snow

Post  dawn.binks Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:35 am

just about an inch so far further up the east coast you can even tell where the road is! my husband took clothes with him to stay at his job in the east here for the week to save keep doing the journey altho only one hr each day! schools still open tho!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 am

I am in NE Scotland and the snow we have had here is ridiculous. It started last Wednesday the 24th and today is the first day that we've not had any fall. It's absolutely crazy, most days it has falling for hours without a break. I have never seen so much snow fall. The majority of people I know have been late for work most days, despite leaving much earlier than usual. My dad's Journey usually takes him just under 30 mins but one day it took him from before 7am to 9.35am to get to work.

We've also had thunder and lightning storms while the snow is falling, which although not unknown, is pretty unusual for us. We had Thunder and Lightning Last Friday, Saturday and Monday.

Saturday's was something else! It wasn't like forks of lightning, everything just went blue! One of the flashes in particular was pretty scary, I swear I went blind for a few seconds afterwards. It was stong enough to knock out the light in our fish tank for a good 5 minutes. My friend has a black out blind in her bedroom and it still lit the room up. The rumble of thunder before it was loud enough to make her think her house was falling down!

I really wish it would go away. It's causing us a nightmare at work, we've had trucks stuck in our yard and having to be pulled out on to the road. And I've not driven my car in over a week!

Where I am, we are used to the snow and just struggle by, but we are tired of this now.

I hope everyone else is having better weather!
WitsEnd
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

And I thought it was bad here!! I didn't realise you'd had all the storms as well in Scotland. My neighbours parents live north of Aberdeen and I knew they'd been hit hard.

We've had about 18 inches here (Sussex), more than I remember for years. It took my husband over 9 hours to get home on Tuesday, normally takes an hour! But I hear he was luckier than some. I think you are more prepared for it up in Scotland. Schools are shut here, no-one can get to work (except me as I can walk!!) - crazy. Pretty but crazy!

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  Ruth Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 pm

LizzieB, hope you don't mind me asking but where in Sussex are you? Hope I haven't already asked you this, if so, put it down to old age!!! One of my brothers lives in Worthing so I was curious. He sent pictures taken in the snow yesterday, unbelievable how much Sussex and other parts of the country are getting.

Ruth

Back to top Go down

our U.K. posters....how much snow do you have? Empty snow

Post  dawn.binks Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am

our snow all disappeared over night after it rained!
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:09 am

One of my best friends is from Florida and is going to the University of Kent in Canterbury (yes, of the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer). She has struggled with the snow lately, especially because in the university town, few people have cars, and most people just walk everywhere they need to go. So walking in the snow has become a big challenge for them. When I texted her this evening, she was standing in the middle of her bedroom with her boots on because she was too afraid to take them off, just for the short period of time it would take to get her feet under the covers or something. She said she was too cold to even think. They all went out and built a snowman when it first snowed, and then they were over the snow. Unfortunately, the snow is not over them yet! Poor Shirley and all you Brits who are unprepared for such misery! (Can you tell I'm a Southern California girl through and through? Snow is what you see from afar in the mountains, not what you actually go touch!)
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:45 am

Last night was just weird, almost sad.

About 9pm it started to snow again, and it got heavier, and by midnight everything was covered again.
I got up around 2am to pee (I know too much information Very Happy). Still snowing.

When I got up to take a Migard at 8am, it was all but gone.

My daughter told me she had to let the dog out (for a pee affraid ) at about 7am and it was raining.

Bit sad, it all looked so beautiful in the street light last night.
Its a bit warmer too. Between a and 2 degrees c.

But this morning the weather man said, this could go on until New Years....

Well, nothing we can do about it, after all it is global WARMING!!!! lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  LizzieB Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:41 am

Yes, it's quite bizarre. 24 hours ago it was a winter wonderland, now it's all soggy!

Ruth, no of course I don't mind you asking. We're in a village about 12 miles inland from Worthing!! In fact my son is off to visit a friend in Worthing tonight! I think they had slightly less snow as they are on the coast. Small world Smile

Vicky, your poor friend must really be feeling it if she's from sunny California. Especially in student accommodation, which probably isn't the warmest place to be. I wouldn't mind a bit of your sun at the moment!

When we had a deluge of snow in January this year, I was in bed going cold turkey from triptans and missed it all - at least I saw it this time Very Happy

Liz

LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:45 am

Wow, you guys are getting a bunch of snow! I've gotten only a few inches of snow so far this season--and I live in an area that gets around 12 ft. of snow a year!

That's ok....if you want the snow through the holidays, it's ok with me!

Take care--and if you guys need to travel, prepare an emergency kit. Gloves, hats, blankets, shovel, and a small metallic container that you can put a candle in safely, food, & water (medicine too).

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:08 am

I'm in west Michigan, right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Two day's ago we got hit with 12" of lake effect snow. Lake effect snow is when a cold front comes across the lake and picks up moisture then parks itself over the lakeside and DUMPS. We can get easily get a foot while only 30 miles inland will get 3-4 inches.

I hate the cold. I don't know why I live in this state...
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down