migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ICP monitoring.

+3
Paradox
pilot57
Anna's Mom
7 posters

Go down

ICP monitoring. Empty ICP monitoring.

Post  Anna's Mom Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 am

We are in the university hospital in WI, and Anna is getting intracranial pressure monitoring. We got here yesterday, and she had the monitor placed while being awake (yikes). Pretty hard on her. I sat next to her while they did it. First they numbed up her scalp, drilled a hole in her skull, placed and stitched in the tiny monitor wire. She didn't want to be awake for this, but she didn't have a choice really.

Her pressure is normal laying down (around eight). She is going to get up soon to start walking the halls to see if it drives her pressure down.

She is in tremendous pain. Quite unbearable. But they don't want to load her up on meds for this testing.

Probably the hardest thing she has been through. Hoping it gives some answers, but that may not happen.

It has been one really tough month!

Cheryl

Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

ICP monitoring. Empty Pressure

Post  pilot57 Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Cheryl,

I'm sending prayers your way...I cannot imagine what you all are going through. Please know that your posts touch many of us here.

Ann

pilot57

Back to top Go down

ICP monitoring. Empty Re: ICP monitoring.

Post  Paradox Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Cheryl,

Thanks for keeping the caring bridge updated. What a long, painful road Anna has been on for this test! I hope you get the answers you need. And I hope Anna can get home to her own bed shortly! I'm sure you are all anxious to be in one place.

I had to sit by Robert once when he had a painful, invasive test. It was so hard to keep my composure so as not to upset him more. But, boy, did I fall apart later when it was just hubby and I.

Sending you much love, affection and hugs.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Cheryl,

Wishing you guys the best of luck! Hope you get some answers soon.

Take care,
mgb

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 pm

dear cheryl, i'm always thinking about you and yours.

this is the last time for that invasive testing, and i'm so hoping that good answers are obtained at long last.

sending love and hugs your way, dianne

Last edited by dcook60 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
dcook60
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:40 am

Cheryl, I am so sorry Anna has to go through this. It should be illegal to have to go through procedures like that awake! I am sorry you had to go through it, too. There is nothing worse in this world than watching a child you have brought into this world in pain.

The other day Zoe told me her worst fear is that one day she will wake up with a migraine and it wont go away. Of course, this is my worst fear for her too, since I know it is possible. Praying that this pain brings Anna some answers or that you can quickly move on to something that will.
Hugs,
Cindy
30yrsofheadache
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am

I don't blame anyone for how badly it went. I told Anna that most adults probably do fine having the monitor placed while being awake. She isn't what I consider "normal" or "typical" during these procedures. Her fear is overblown, and it makes for problems. I don't blame her for the fear--it's just part of who she is. Some of it comes from having too many traumatic procedures.

They were giving her repeated doses of Versed and Fentanyl during the monitor placement. A whole lot! But it did nothing. Someone told me I should ask for Versed to be put on her medication adverse reaction list because it doesn't work for her at all. Propofol might be better, but I think one would need an anesthesiologist to administer it.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm sure fear and past experience has much to do with it. I also wonder if many of us, rather than becoming desensitized to pain and other stimuli, become hyper sensitized.

I wonder that due to many of us having extreme reactions to sun, Weather changes, odors, lights, etc.

Is she any better today? How are you holding up, Dear Friend?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Three days of monitoring. Normal pressure, though on the lower end of normal at times.

Her neurosurgeon said it is reasonable to try the intrathecal pain pump. But Anna wants a break from doing any more interventions right now.

It was a hard week, to say the least.

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:25 am

That sounds like good news. I can understand Anna's point of view. She had a rough week and sometimes the thought of another thing is too much.

Best wishes to both of you!
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Mishkyn Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:48 am

Darling Cheryl,
Another horrible hurdle jumped over

Cheryl darling,
All the pain and suffering...on and on. I sure don't blame Anna for wanting a break.

Sometimes you cannot stand to think of a doctor, let alone face one and hear yet another theory....now let's try...."this!!!" It's just all too much---for all of you.

I am glad the pain pump was recommended, I don't see any other route right now, do you? Dr. W told me he has had a great man people do quite well on them, and here's hoping and praying Anna is one of those. Oh how she deserves a break...all of you do.

Much love to all, and lots of prayers coming your way. I am trying not to be too cynical about finding things to give thanks for on this holiday, with Mom in the hospital and getting nuttier all the time---too many head hits, my pain off the charts and finances not in great shape in terms of long term care for Mom===unless the newest lawyer can find a miracle.

One friend said to me, "Well, at least you are surviving," to which I replied, "yeah, but survivin' ain't livin'." Though it has had to do for many years, for most of us.

I am ever so grateful for all the prayers and good, generous and gracious thoughts you put out into the universe every day, Cheryl. You are one strong cookie.
Love, M

Mishkyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mishkyn Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:50 am

Cheryl darling,
All the pain and suffering...on and on. I sure don't blame Anna for wanting a break.

Sometimes you cannot stand to think of a doctor, let alone face one and hear yet another theory....now let's try...."this!!!" It's just all too much---for all of you.

I am glad the pain pump was recommended, I don't see any other route right now, do you? Dr. W told me he has had a great man people do quite well on them, and here's hoping and praying Anna is one of those. Oh how she deserves a break...all of you do.

Much love to all, and lots of prayers coming your way. I am trying not to be too cynical about finding things to give thanks for on this holiday, with Mom in the hospital and getting nuttier all the time---too many head hits, my pain off the charts and finances not in great shape in terms of long term care for Mom===unless the newest lawyer can find a miracle.

One friend said to me, "Well, at least you are surviving," to which I replied, "yeah, but survivin' ain't livin'." Though it has had to do for many years, for most of us.

I am ever so grateful for all the prayers and good, generous and gracious thoughts you put out into the universe every day, Cheryl. You are one strong cookie.
Love, M

[/quote]

Mishkyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna's Mom Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 am

Love you, Mishkyn! Sorry to hear of your difficult woes Sad

It was interesting to take Anna to her G.P. this week and have him question what he thought were low ICP numbers for her. Normal yes, but on the low side of normal. So CSF leak is still on my mind, but I suppose we need to go back to Duke to explore that possibility...sigh...and it will never happen any time soon when we need a break from dealing with all of this.

Her doctor was at Mayo two weeks ago, and he talked to some Mayo docs about her case and her ICP numbers. I'm glad he did that. But as Dr. Diamond called it--the murky sludge of ICP issues.

Our current neurosurgeon said he never relies on LP numbers. He will only rely on ICP monitoring to give direction in dealing with ICP issues. Anna's LP numbers (without a shunt) have always been high. Her ICP monitoring numbers have never been high. I don't know what to make of that!

Anna is still on pain meds, and there is going to be a extended wean from them. Going so slowly she won't feel the wean. And then looking to the intrathecal pain pump--perhaps in April.

So a long and miserable winter ahead, I fear...

Cheryl
Anna's Mom
Anna's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum