migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain?

+5
pen
AZgirl
Jewishmother
charmed quark
chrissypalgal
9 posters

Go down

How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain? Empty How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain?

Post  chrissypalgal Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm

Here is a link to an article I wrote, hope you guys enjoy it.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/393357_being-postive-when-our-head-is-pain-filled-how

If ya like it can ya please click on the like tap on the top. Thanks!
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

http://throughthewordsofchronicpain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain? Empty Re: How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain?

Post  chrissypalgal Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:10 am

Boy, no one has said anything about my article, hope it was not too bad.
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

Back to top Go down

How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain? Empty Not a lot to say

Post  charmed quark Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:23 am

I was in chronic pain for about 5 years and strove to stay positive. I actually did better, psychologically, when I gave up on doctors.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain? Empty Re: How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain?

Post  Jewishmother Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I appreciate all the articles that are posted. Since I can't work very much right now and am mostly home I have a lot of projects going - mostly strewn all over the house! Always good to be reminded that even though we are sidelined that it is important to stay occupied.
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Read it, liked it, and clicked "like" online. My mom read it via my facebook link and liked it, too.

I'm not much of a "real life" scrapbooker, but I have recently discovered online scrapbooking, and it has become a great new hobby of mine.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:14 pm

AZ, Scrapbooking is not very popular in England. What is online scrapbooking please?

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Chrissypalgal,

It's a good article. I appreciate it. I think what you might be experiencing in lack of response is the fact that so many users of this site feel so awful so much of the time, that they can barely type out their thoughts at the moment. It's no reflection on your good writing.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Pen, I think it's also called digital scrapbooking, where you click and drag your digital photos on your computer into pre-set layouts and have the local photoshop print the pages of the scrapbook for you.

http://photo.walgreens.com/walgreens/photobookselect3/booksize=6x4/ordertype=PMB/bookType=PMB6

Example of a purse-size photo book above.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissypalgal Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks guys. Very Happy
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:56 am

Thank you for the link AZ.... Smile

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:46 am

Staying positive is a double edged sword.

If you stay positive all the time, people don't believe your migraine is as bad as you say it is. Even though you might receive a psychological benefit, it seems (at least to me) it actually undermines the ability to receive support from family and friends.

Of course this could just be my situation... Suspect
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

How can you develop a positive attitude despite living in chronic pain? Empty Great article

Post  charmed quark Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks for the write-up.

I think if you are able to keep a positive attitude, you are MORE likely to receive support from friends and relatives. People tend to shy away from someone who's in a dark mood. It's a downer. It's a lot more fun to help someone who is positive and friendly.

Immediate family may be different as they see you all the time regardless of your attitude. With limited emotional and time resources they might gage how much help you need based of the mood. But I think people who see you less often are attracted to the positive attitude.

I may be lucky - my wife says she can tell when I'm hurting regardless of my attitude. I tend, also, to hide pain but she can still tell and gets sympathetic when she knows I'm in severe pain.

charmed quark

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissypalgal Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:30 am

@ 02r96

I think you are so right, I don't like myself when i am down so i try very hard to smile and stay up beat when i am in pain but then people look at me and have said well i did not know you were having such a hard time.
chrissypalgal
chrissypalgal

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm

I agree Dan, I so often overdo the "I am fine" act, and I became so good at pretending that "I am fine", that I expose myself to lots of unncessary pain, and discomort.

Like today, sitting in big hall with fluorescent lighting, drinking instant coffee (guaranteed migraine trigger for me) pretending that I was fine, whilst I was barely able to sit straight with discomfort, my head buzzing more and more, the driving in darkness in new area.

No one would be able to tell how I felt just by looking at me - no one did. I am good at pretending. IT acts against me. I seldom get any sympathy or help, either.And when I do I protest...My fault, I know.

Yes, generally I try to stay positive and definitely make most of my good days, forgetting bad ones as soon as they are over. At times I get bad days when everything gets on top of me, but not nearly as much as I use to, when my migraines were much worse.
Mini
Mini

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 am

02R96 wrote:Staying positive is a double edged sword.

If you stay positive all the time, people don't believe your migraine is as bad as you say it is. Even though you might receive a psychological benefit, it seems (at least to me) it actually undermines the ability to receive support from family and friends.

Of course this could just be my situation... Suspect

Ya, that is a very important point. I think it also applies to your employers and how they treat you. It definitely is not just your situation, I agree 100%.

I know there are benefits to being positive, and when I am around people who know me well (and know all about my migraines) I try to be. I deal with what I can, and they know if I am asking for help with something I really need it...

... but people you don't know what well are a whole other matter. Especially when it comes to employers. Their outlook is simple, they want you at work. If it appears you can work, they think you should be at work. I find it a huge error to downplay the severity of migraines, or try to act like "it's all ok" when dealing with them.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down