migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad or Klonopin?

+5
sailingmuffin
02R96
annabella
Migrainegirl
Greeneyes
9 posters

Go down

Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad  or Klonopin? Empty Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad or Klonopin?

Post  Greeneyes Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I've been on Effexor for the preventative for the migraines..I feel sad..not like myself at all. It could be the klonopin..it's making me sleep all day and night and I've fallen down quite a few times.

My new neuro isn't listening..I just want to cry..the stress is really getting me

Thank you and blessings,
greeneyes
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad  or Klonopin? Empty Re: Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad or Klonopin?

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:27 pm

That's not good. If you can tell you are not yourself and feeling unnaturally sad you need to call the doctors office and state quite clearly " This medication is giving me severe depression. I
need to stop taking it.". Don't let them blow you off. Depression side effects of medications can be serious and life threatening.

I know it's hard when they don't seem to pay attention to you. It is up to us to be assertive and not get pushed aside. You have to be your own advocate. If your doctors office does not respond to this type of clearly worded message it is nothing short of malpractice. Time to stop taking that medication and look for a new doctor.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad  or Klonopin? Empty Re: Has anyone had effexor and it made you feel sad or Klonopin?

Post  annabella Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:09 am

That medication had the side effects for me of severe agitation, nervousness, restlessness and tiredness. I gave it up when i would could not control my bad moods and nobody could stand being around me. didn't work for me.

I hope you get some help - your mood sounds very serious.

flower
annabella
annabella

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:44 am

My guess it's the klonopin. I've had the exact feeling in the morning after taking it to sleep. Usually morning coffee and Zoloft counter acts it. Can I ask what dosage of klonopin you are taking?
02R96
02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi Greeneyes,

Effexor made me feel horrible. So I would start by going down on that, then maybe the klonopin. Can you take knonopin only at night? Either way, please talk to your neuro. It sounds like the combination may just be bad for you. Hang in there.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:10 am

I can take the Klonopin up to three times a day for a seveve migraines..sorry, i can't think of the dosage now. Hope you are feeling better, Hal
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  tdu Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:53 am

annabella wrote:That medication had the side effects for me of severe agitation, nervousness, restlessness and tiredness. I gave it up when i would could not control my bad moods and nobody could stand being around me. didn't work for me.

I hope you get some help - your mood sounds very serious.

flower

That pretty much sums up my experience with Effexor as well.

tdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Mishkyn Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 am

Wendy honey,
Both drugs raise serotonin, which can cause severe depression in people susceptible to serotonin syndrome. I am one of those.

One dose of a serotonin raising med and I am shoved into a deep deep black hole. The klonopin will cause the least depression of the two. I have been hospitalized many times from being so depressed on Prozac, serzone and other SSRI's or other drugs that just raise serotonin.

I would tell my drs I was getting more and more depressed on these meds, and they would just increase the doses, not realizing it was the drug causing the problem. I was hospitalized because I was terrified I might kill myself.

No dr figured this out. I moved in with my parents as prozac was sending me into the deep dark places when my mother saw one of those news magazine shows on TV and called me from my bed---I had not left it for 3 months. On the show was a psychiatrist who said that there was a deep dark secret about prozac and other similar drugs---there was a huge possibility they could cause homicidal or suicidal tendencies.

Why didn't my dr know this? She kept upping the dose on me. Why are these drs prescribing drugs for us that are deepening our depressions without doing the research on them?

Oh, the dr who prescribed the prozac took me off it and put me on ANOTHER SSRI.

AFter taking well over a dozen of these meds, I finally did the research myself and found out about serotonin syndrome I often had severe physical symptoms too on some of these meds. Felt faint and feverish and could not get out of bed from exhaustion and depression and dizziness.

I am in a dilemma right now. I have to take a 1mg dose of klonipin every day because some of the meds I take for pain make my body tremble all over and my limbs fly around haphazardly. Try putting on mascara when you are like that.

Four months ago, the trembling started up again, worse than ever. If I do not hold my self still with great effort, my head and body shake like a Parkinson's patient. My dr only increased the dose by half a mg a day, so I am now taking 1.5mg a day, but I feel the increased depression after only 2 weeks of taking it. I am hoping it will go away like some other side effects do.

I was once hospitalzed for depression caused by serzone---the shrink I was seeing 3 times a week kept increasing the dose. I was taken off of that and put on effexor.

After one tiny dose of effexor, I was sobbing uncontrollably and knelt in front of one of the nurses and begged her to kill me painlessly. Oh, and it was Friday, and they did not want ot bother to call a dr during the weekend so I could be given a med to counteract my hysteria. I also hallucinated every scary movie scene I had ever seen, starting with Snow White. One dose. ANd the nurses got mad when I refused the second dose.

I had to wait from 5pm friday to 10 am Monday to have a dr examine me. And I was in a psych ward from the serzone effects. What is wrong with these people?

I am so so sorry, Wendy, you are going through this. I would not stop both at once, and would stop the effexor first---but that is just because of my severe reaction to it. Had the same reaction after one dose of Seroquel--sobbed for 3 days, and felt I was living in a black hole and could see nothing in my future that would cause me to want to continue to live. I knew it was because of the drug, and I was still totally in its grip and miserable.

Perhaps the klonopin may not cause depression if taken alone. Together they will comibine to have a stronger depressive effect. But give it some time as the effexor needs to get out of your system for a while to get a true reading of the klonopin.

Sending prayers your way,
Mishkyn

So now what? Why do most of the changes we make in our meds turn out to be bad for us?

I have taken both drugs, and by far, effexor had the greatest effect on me. I was actually in the hospital from the depression caused by serzone, and I was then put on effexor. After ONE dose, I was sobbing like a crazy person and knelt in front of a nurse and wrapped my arms around her knees and begged her to kill me painlessly. At the time I was only taking the effexor. Just one little dose did that to me.

One dose of the drug seroquel did the same thing. I cried for 3 days straight. By that time I knew about the syndrome and stopped the drug after one dose, as I did with the effexor.

Klonopin is very very difficult to taper off of. It took me 6 months to taper off of one mg /day.

I would not try to go off of both at one time---but I am ultra sensitive to meds. I think the effexor is more powerful in raising serotonin.

Love to you, Wendy, and I am so so sorry for what you are going through,
Mishkyn

Last edited by Mishkyn on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : some of reply did not post)

Mishkyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:55 pm

Dearest Mishkyn,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I thought I was the only one who ended up in a locked psych ward because of side effects from meds. It was terrifying to be so out of it and not myself.

I was misdiagnosed as bipolar...none of my THREE drs even considered I was having a psychotic reaction to topamax. I was left on the topamax, and geodon was added. Then depakote which caused severe trembling (my arms would literally flail if I was upset about something. I was accused of "acting" and being overly dramatic because of the arm movements). Then Xanax was added because the panic attacks started. The seroquel was added, along with vicoden and lunesta. At the end another anti-psychotic was thrown in there.

I couldn't drive, I was falling down stairs, I got a frozen shoulder from constantly hugging myself, my work did an intervention.

I went to a new psychiatrist and he admitted me on the spot and took me off ALL the meds. He was concerned about suicide and seizures. After five days I was released and cried when on the way home I was able to sing to the radio. The geodon dried out my throat so much I wasn't able to talk above a whisper.

After a month of no meds at all, not even OTC I felt like a new person. Granted I still had the migraines, but even when I was on ALL the meds I had the headaches. After four months of no meds I started trying to find a preventative again.

With very poor results. Anti-depressants and keppra made me very angry. We tried a lower dose of depakote but the trembling started again.

I found two doses of the last old school tri-cyclic made me an instant witch. That quick. At this point I feel I'm ultra sensitive to any medication and I'm NOT willing to put my body through it anymore.

I found a Dr. who understands and has agreed to treat me from a pain management standpoint. I will be forever grateful. While this route has it's own set of hurdles, I haven't lost my personality nor will to live. In fact I have much fewer sick days, and got my first raise in three years!

So, yes, be wary of the effexor and klonopin. I recently tried klonopin to help me sleep and while it did relax me, I had a horrible headache in the morning from it.

After so many years of all the different drugs we try I think our body rebels and becomes ultra sensitive.

Sending you hugs and the warmest of thoughts.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:20 am

Hi Wendy, so sorry you are having these issues with your meds along with the other things you are dealing with.

I've not had any experience with Effexor, but do take clonopin. I take 1mg, 3 time a day. I too have the same problems. Makes me tired - have even fallen asleep just sitting up. Have also stumbled around while on it like I've been drinking.

I take Xanax with it sometimes just for the calming effect, but only do that at night.

As far as the depression, I just figured mine was because of all that I am dealing with now. You know the story. My reason for saying that I don't think it has to do with the clonopin because I was just put on it when my dr. wanted to hospitalize me for stress. So, I was depresssed before I started taking it.

I defenitely wouldn't stop taking either at the same time. Maybe try titrating down on one of them and see if that helps. Your Dr. should be more help to you! That's what they are there for. Unfortunately, we sometimes have to take it in our own hands because we know our bodies, they don't.

Best wishes sweetie. Sending you love and hugs and so hope you start feeling like yourself again. xoxo

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down