migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

+12
MaryAnneLive
LG
Anna's Mom
CluelessKitty
AZgirl
alli
Ruth
kimsmom
lesherb
estre004
crt
Paradox
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis - Page 2 Empty Re: It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

Post  MaryAnneLive Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 pm

It sounds awful. I am so sorry that you are still there. I can only hope that you get to go home tomorrow.

Still thinking of you,

Mary Anne
MaryAnneLive
MaryAnneLive

Back to top Go down

It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis - Page 2 Empty Re: It wasn't constipation it was diverticulitis

Post  Paradox Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:09 am

YES! I got home yesterday afternoon. I slept so much better being in my own bed.

Lost 7.5 pounds in 7 days. Not my kind of diet.

The funniest thing though....my sense of smell is completely altered. I love perfumes, scented powders...I can not tolerate it. All I've been dreaming of when I got home was a Chanel Bath Oil bath. When I opened the bottle it smelled wrong. All my bath oils and washes smelled awful. First plain water bath I've taken in years.

Food smells very off and tastes funny. Even though I can eat as much as I want of a bland fiber free diet, it all tastes and smells BAD. I have to eat to keep my bowel moving and it's a struggle.

The only thing that smells good is fresh air so I have all the windows open. Even the fabric softener on the towels is making me feel icky.

I'm on flagyl and cipro. Would these have anything to do with it?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:04 am

Charlotte - you poor thing. I'm guessing it is the drugs you are on. Topamax did that to me. among other negative stuff. I would ask your doctor about it. I know you love your chanel baths. Maybe he can give you something else. I know when I quit the Topamax (I know this has nothing to do with your current problems but same side effects), when I went off of it cold turkey, smells and tastes came back just as fast. Keep us updated.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  kimsmom Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow, I had no idea all this was happening. I have not been able to read a whole lot here latley. Hope you are doing better now. Did you have gall stones on top of it too? I am sure just being home is a good feeling.

Thinking of you and hoping this gets under control for you soon. I do not know about the tastes and smells with the meds you are on but it makes sense. Hope someone here can give you an answer on that one.

hugs to you!

kimsmom
kimsmom
kimsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:30 am

Sorry Charlotte,
I read you post only today. I've had a horrible month....
Glad to hear that you're home!!!
Take care and be careful with food...

P.S.: I could not live without my tub, too!!!
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:22 pm

My smell is slowly coming back so food is tasting better.

I can't believe how focused I am on my bowels right now! Does this mean I'm old? scratch

No bowel movement today....but then I say "settle down", I've never had bowel movements every day. Yet, I'm SO worried about being constipated again especially being on a low fiber bland diet.

Any ideas on how to combat this without supplements or laxatives? AND stay low fiber? I'm in a great deal of pain with my back but am hesitant to take the prescribed amount of narcotics because it slows down the bowels.

Drinking tons of water, no caffiene. Walking a lot though it's hard with my back hurting so much. But, I'm motivated by not wanting to go back to the hospital.

I made it into work for about four hours. I only planned on being there two but there was so much to catch up on. It took me over an hour to get through a weeks worth of email.

On the other hand, I had the best night sleep I've had in six months. 12 hours!! I actually dreamed. I haven't gone in to that deep of sleep in ages. Guess that happens when you only sleep about three hours a night for a week. Sleep
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  survivor Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:07 am

Charlotte, glad to hear you are home. I know this was a terrible experience for you. I keep thinking of you because my husband is battling diverticulitis right now but won't go to the dr. He doesn't want the dreaded exam.

He has had it before as have several members of my family. You will recover! And, if it recurs you will recognize the symptoms earlier. He has never been hospitalized for his but we imediately change our diet and increase his fluid intake if it flairs up.

Take it easy because recovery from an experience like this takes a while.

One time I was in the hospital for 6 days. In a time space of 10 days I lost 25 pounds (over 20% of my body weight). It took 6 months for me to feel normal after that.

Take care,

Mary

survivor

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am

Charlotte,

Glad you are home and doing, well, better. Smile I don't know what to say as this is something I've never experienced. But on the plus side, at least you got some great sleep! I know that's been a battle for you for a long time and wouldn't it be strange if this mess sorted that out?

Thinking of you.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2