migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question for Marion

4 posters

Go down

question for Marion Empty question for Marion

Post  lentils Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:13 am

Since the article about the gene for glutamate build up in the brain in migraine sufferers, I've been thinking about glutamate in my diet, even though I read somewhere brain glutamate has to do with cell metabolism and is not affected by glutamate in the diet. Anyway, I was wondering if you eat vegemite and if not is it because it causes migraines? I don't like it and won't eat enough to determine if it will cause a migraine. It is high in glutamate, with as much glutamate as MSG.

lentils

Back to top Go down

question for Marion Empty Re: question for Marion

Post  marion Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Can't say that vegemite is an everyday part of my diet - but no effect. But I have never pinned down eating food causing anything.

I have pinned down though that a lack of some foods is contibuting to problems. I have been trying to make sense of all I have read and my own reactions and have wanted to write a thread on it for ages - but the brain fog gets in the way. Today I'll give it a go though.

Basically, going on the theory that I am autoimmune - my antibodies attacking at a bare minimum both thyroid and thyroid receptors, (proven through blood tests); that this was started by a virus/bacteria/contaminant (not proven)that my body didn't expell properly; that this has gone on so long that my body is now very confused and is now reacting to outside stimuli as well when it shouldn't (proven allergy immunoglobulin E extremely high) - then my thinking is heading towards:

a I have to get rid of or lessen the original contaminant.
b I have to stop my body damaging itself
c Repair the damage that has happened

The science behind all this as far as I can make out is that one or more parts of the body becomes damaged due to the original contaminant. Other parts of the body try to compensate for the area/s of damage. eg thyroid damage in the endocrine system can lead to a burn out of the adrenals as it tries to put the body back into balance.

The adrenal is still a functioning gland, but becomes confused and worn out itself trying to keep the body on an even keel.

So to combat (a). If you have anything from a flu to a stick stuck out of your leg that's getting infected, you instinctively treat yourself in certain ways. You rest, you eat well, you try and help your body recover.

Most of us on this site don't. We keep working - we push through. One article I read puts this as the worst thing possible to do. Autoimmuneatics don't dispel lactic acid well. Don't tend to actually feel the pain of lactic acid build up. So we end up drawing in pure carbon dioxide instead of oxygen into cells. So although we can put in huge efforts as required, we then crash. Sound familiar?

Becasue we are too busy/ill to eat well, we take supplements that are just that, supplements not meant to replace the nuitrients of raw fruit and veg. It's becoming very acknowledged that a lot of supps just haven't got what is advertised. Also as slow release, you don't get the sudden rush of things like endophines etc that give the body a big kick start that eating an orange would do.

So this is leading into b and c. The cause, if you do prove to be autoimmune, is already there, it's not what your eating now, it's whatever you picked up ten-twenty years ago that is slowly degrading your body.
For me some areas I can prove damage (thyroid), other areas, wrist (arthritis), ribs or condocontritis, neck, balance, head - no proofs.

I had a huge reaction emotionally to an addition to my diet a few months ago that shocked the bej.. out of me. I bought a juicer. And like any new toy juiced from morning till night that first day. I think what happened is that my adrenal gland kicked in. My body went into fight or flight with my mind not knowing what to fly from.

This was the difference over supps. Which I did take a few of. I had thought my diet quite good, however, this sudden overdose of vitamin c, potassium ??? who knows what made something work. Not nicely I might add. Ergo my lack of food or certain foods was contibuting to the damage - not what I was eating.

I juice away merrily now, my body isn't giving the huge reaction of the first day. I am still edgey though. I still get really tired. But, the big but, I am hoping that I am contributing to the solution of a, b and c.

Cheers
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 am

Marion

Interesting theory. There does seem to be literature showing a link between thyroid and migraines which is why iodine seems to be useful.

Question: now that you are doing all this great juice drinking, what has been the effect on your migraines?

Also could the effects that first day have been due to an overload of natural sugars? I know when I do too much my hypoglycemia kicks in which can feel a bit like you described initially.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:47 am

Marion,

What types of combinations do you juice?

I've been trying it, but when my migraine pain is high and I'm nauseous, everything bothers my stomach. Do you have any suggestions? I'm used to eating a lot of veggies.

Thanks! flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:13 pm

Tecky, I thought I was doing the right thing by eating a lot of veggies too, but now I'm not so sure. I take everything I read with a grain of salt and theres a lot out there now saying veggies, espcially cooked, wont do it.

I had been tending to the opinion that all my aches and pains were somehow connected and a fall a week ago has pushed me further towards this view. How can hurting your wrist (one of my confused parts) result in spending most of the next morning in the loo? I mean for goodness sakes.

I mainly use oranges and apples in my juices with carrot, kiwifriut, beetroot or whatever is in the house.

My m's changed a few years back now, Migraine girl, to a continual headache and constant visual aura. The headaches had lessened somewhat before the fall and I was actually getting really quite excited about the whole thing.

Have you noticed a difference yet Tecky?
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:40 pm

I was doing pretty well with it until about 2 months ago, when I began having a lot of nausea again. I think that may be partly attributed to the increase in daily migraine pain intensity and partly due to amitriptyline. I had some pretty bad side-effects from amitriptyline, including the nausea, and it just doesn't seem to be improving since I discontinued it.
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  lentils Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Wow, that is interesting. There is a lot in your post I can relate to. I do wonder if it all started with an infection. Also wonder about the time when my migraines really began causing a problem. It was when I had a job that I had wanted all my life, but the stress was intense. I ate poorly and drank at least 6 cups of coffee a day, 4 before 10 AM.
My migraines decrease when I eat more veggies. If I cut out sugar, caffeine, grain and a few miscellaneous fruits and veggies, my migraines decrease. I often buy canned veggies and just eat them out of then can when I extremely hungry. Sounds gross, but it keeps me from eating something I shouldn't.
Our stories are all unique and so are our techniques for managing our illness. Maybe someday some future internet medical researcher will put us all on a spreadsheet and group us into whatever categories they decide upon, just by our descriptions of our illnesses. Maybe she'll be able to guess what defective genes we possess or what infections we had. And some future sociologist can
write her thesis about internet forums and analyze our interactions and our squabbles Smile

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:03 pm

Exactly Lentils.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:16 am

lentils wrote:My migraines decrease when I eat more veggies. If I cut out sugar, caffeine, grain and a few miscellaneous fruits and veggies, my migraines decrease. I often buy canned veggies and just eat them out of then can when I extremely hungry. Sounds gross, but it keeps me from eating something I shouldn't.

Lentils, I feel better following the same kind of diet. It doesn't really help the migraines, but I just feel better overall. Most especially cutting out sugar and refined/processed foods--those seem to be primary for me.

I've eaten canned veggies when I'm starving and can't find anything else, too. You feel better afterward, more so than if you would have had chips, a candy bar or something else processed. flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down