migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do migraines return in the night?

+8
Mule Kick
crt
Anna's Mom
Migrainegirl
dawn.binks
mxgo
dcook60
pen
12 posters

Go down

Why do migraines return in the night? - Page 2 Empty Why do migraines return in the night.

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:56 am

Because you digest your food overnight. What you eat today, affects how you are tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Why do migraines return in the night? - Page 2 Empty migraines at night

Post  lentils Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:25 am

Is there any stray light in your room at night? Bright street lights will give me a migraine. Is there enough air in the room? I sleep with window open even in winter and I am thinking about getting a PAP machine or an oxygen concentrator. Is the room too hot? That will cause me to have a migraine. Is there a mould problem in your bedroom? If you sleep in another room or another house, do you still get a migraine? Can you experiment with length of sleep, waking up etc and see if it makes a difference? What happens in the summer and winter when the length of the days change? How about during spring and autumn-are they worse then? I used to get into a pattern of migraine, then ever increasing disrupted sleep until I finally got another migraine. Spring and fall were worse than summer and winter for me.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Why do migraines return in the night? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do migraines return in the night?

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:40 am

Lentils, you have given me a lot to think about, thank you.
Much of what you mentioned I have already addressed.

It is hard to sleep with the window open because we are on a rat run.
The traffic starts 6am and wakes me, so I have to shut the window often.

The lighting, I leave the curtains open a little as I dont like total darkness.

The rest, I am still pondering on, thank you.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Why do migraines return in the night? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do migraines return in the night?

Post  dncr4180 Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:22 am

There could be many reasons why this happens. If you take any medication during the day for a migraine, it could be wearing off, or you get a rebound when it wears off in the middle of the night.

You are not drinking while you sleep, and you could be getting dehydrated. I make sure to drink plenty of fluids before bed. If I do happen to wake up in the night, I will make sure to drink some water to keep hydrated.

If you have sinus issues (you get congested when you lay down) which often is my problem, that can cause a headache. I make sure to elevate my head at night to prevent this from happening.
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 am

This is unusual for me but I don't agree with any of the responses. I only get migraines at night also (anywhere from after midnight until dawn) and never get them in the day. I believe it has to do with the chemistry of our bodies at night vs. daytime. If I take a triptan before bedtime, I have a 100% success rate of not having a migraine in the morning. Of course, I don't do this every night, but if I fear a migraine may be triggered or I have special plans for the following day and do not want to take a chance of a migraine, I will take a triptan.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:36 am

Hi Linda,

I know, you know, we are alike in our migraines and I also know you wrote what I could have written.
My neuro told me he thinks it is down to circadian rhythm, so same page I guess..

I think, if I am going to do this trip, I might take one at bedtime, which I havent tried yet.

I do find if I wake with one early.....6 am or so and take a Frova, I findn it takes about 5/6 hours to do its work and the S/E to wear off.
Whereas if I take it say 9am and manage to stay awake, its more like 3 hours....
SO.....going back to sleep upsets it for me....

Sleep should be my friend. Seems it is not.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Why do migraines return in the night? - Page 2 Empty migraines at night

Post  lentils Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 pm

I would think, but I don't know for sure, that if it is circadian rhythms, then there should be a difference in number of migraines when the seasons, the number of hours of daylight change. I think it wouldn't hurt to examine sleep hygiene, especially light in the bedroom at night. One of the things I try to keep constant no matter where I am
is keeping the room dark, so that variable is constant, even if there are bright street lights.You can just try some eye shades. I can tell you from my experiences travelling that flying into summer wreaks more havoc on me than flying into winter. It's something you can experiment with easily and cheaply, anyway. Last summer I went on a 4 week camping trip and I did not have a single migraine. Sleeping in a tent in total darkness, eating healthy food and no stress (no contact with the outside world) may have been the reason.

lentils

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down