migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day

+7
Johnfd
Paradox
dawn.binks
jwar
lizholmesod
dncr4180
clairey
11 posters

Go down

Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day Empty Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day

Post  clairey Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:44 am

I get a few migraines a month that i can normally get under control but a really nasty one every 3 months or so.
I respond really well to triptans - say 80% of the time they work. If they don't I get spewy and I can't really take any meds, and can't really do anything but sleep and spew.

Any advice on how I can definitely avoid a migraine on my wedding day? I feel like the meds will probably work but just thought I'd ask some seasoned migraineurs for their suggestions and experiences.

Thanks!

clairey

Back to top Go down

Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day Empty Re: Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day

Post  dncr4180 Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 am

Try to avoid any headache triggers around your wedding time. Take some time to relax (get a massage, take a yoga class, meditate). I know how weddings can be very stressful for everyone.

Another option is to take a slow release triptan (like Frova) a couple days before the wedding, and stay on it until everything is over.

Good luck to you and congrats!
dncr4180
dncr4180

Back to top Go down

Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day Empty Re: Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day

Post  lizholmesod Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:16 am

And take a water bottle with you EVERYWHERE (except down the aisle...)
Laughing

lizholmesod

Back to top Go down

Post  jwar Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 am

For what it's worth, I have always worried about having a bad migraine on various important days of my life, but my head has always ended up cooperating with me on those days. I think the adrenaline kicks in and your body responds in kind. It's probably more likely that you'll have a terrible migraine the day AFTER your wedding day.

If it was me I would start taking NSAIDS (probably Aleve, since it's good for 8-12 hours) two days before my wedding day, and continuously take them through my wedding day and the day after. This is what they tell women with menstrual migraine to do starting a few days before their period. This will down regulate the inflammatory chemicals in your body and keep them down, so a migraine is less likely to be debilitating.

I know for women with really bad menstrual migraine that frova is often also prescribed starting a few days before the period and as a continuous medication through your period. Maybe you should chat with your doctor about that?

Also, stay REALLY well hydrated during this time. Over-hydrate. And try to eat as healthy as you can. Maybe exercise every day during the week leading up to your wedding - get those endorphins flowing and relieve some stress.

Good luck!
jwar
jwar

Back to top Go down

Advice on definitely avoiding a migraine on my wedding day Empty wedding

Post  dawn.binks Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 am

i took nsaid the day before which tided me over till on way to honeymoon and spent 3 days in bed with mig. good luck
dawn.binks
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:51 am

In addition to the above advice, even though it will be impossible try to stay as rested that week as possible. Plan your down time!

When you wake up in the morning take what ever migraine med works for you proactively, whether you have an M or not.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:05 am

My daughter was married a few weeks ago and I was worried about getting a migraine on the day. As I have migraines that are there on waking and last 3 days, I started to take triptans on the Thursday night (the wedding was on Saturday). I took 2 triptans 2 hours apart on the Thursday. Did the same on the Friday and took another on the Saturday night after the wedding to make sure I was ok to deal with all the relatives on the Sunday. It worked for me but I was really ill the day after.

What everyone else says about keeping hydrated is really important. Also make sure you eat regularly. It's not likely that there'll be a shortage of food on the day but, to be on the safe side, don't go more than 3 hours without eating something.

Hope everything goes well on the day.
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:47 am

I will be facing this scenario when my Grandson is Christened in October....not long now. Exactly one month actually.

I am dreading it. I made his sisters by the skin of my teeth, and then only because they were last on, at 4pm.
I just dont do mornings....or even early afternoon. If I function at all, its past 2pm and more likely 3pm.

I am still trying to do this 3 day trip, and have the Christening less than a month on.
For someone who lives in a hole most of the time, coming to the surface is scary....

So I will be watching the advice here too.
I have Frova, plenty for now, so although I have never taken more than one in a day, and am very careful with them.
I think I might have to try them. They take 6 hours to give me some relief and allow me to walk about (spacey).
So usually if I try to do something, I try to grin and bear it. Rather than wait for a Triptan. But that wont do, for this one I need to do more than just run out the door for an hour.

Good luck for your wedding. Much more stressful than my Christening....that will go on without me...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  clairey Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks for the advice and well wishes!

Some great suggestions. I was keen on trying to do my yoga/massage/meditation in the week (between all the other craziness) but it also never hurts to have other people telling you to do it either.
And the preemptive medicating is a great idea also. And water water water : )

Thanks again and best of luck with the christening Pen.

clairey

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:10 am

Hoping that your wedding day is migraine free and your day is blissfully blessed.

When my husband and I got married 8 years ago..I told the neurologist I didn't want to be carrying a bucket down the aisle. I was given I believe promethazine for the nausea..and had all my other migraine abbortive medications with me. (Zofran is a really good nausea medication..that works the best for me..the tablets are dissolvable.

Drink a lot of water like everyone else said..

Avoid your triggers if you know what they are..

Again, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding..please, let us know how you felt on your special day..your future hubby as well
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am

As Jwar said above, she gets through special events and then gets hit afterwards. That is what happens to me also. What has worked for me is taking a triptan before the special event even if you have to take them a few days in a row.I don't know what your wedding plans are but I would take one before each event. It has worked for me every time. Also, be sure to eat normally and get enough sleep.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:57 am

Hi,
when's your wedding day?
I got married last year, on Sept 20 and in these days - one year ago - I was in your shoes.
I prepared a purse with abortives inside and gave it to my best friend (who was also my witness) just in case I needed it.
Fortunately, on that day, nothing happened.
I think that my mind was too focused on other things Smile
Apart from migraine, I could feel no cold, no warm, no hunger, no thirst.......
So, just keep your fingers crossed. On your wedding day your brain will produce so much adrenaline, endorphines and dopamine that you'll just feel GREAT!!!!

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down