migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse?

+3
alli
LizzieB
Richard
7 posters

Go down

Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse? Empty Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse?

Post  Richard Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 am

I have enjoyed the best summer in 10 years - migraine wise. I have awoken without pain, been able to drive, meet new people ... live a bit. Not like a non-migrainer, not by a long shot. But I really have enjoyed myself.

but I am sinking back into daily chronic episodes. And I wonder, was that good time a blessing or a curse?

I enjoyed it, but as I return to my "normal" life of great disability, the good time hurts. It really hurts to remember what I have lost ... I cannot really feelingly remember no migraine time ... but today I can remember feeling good enough to make committments, to chance new friendships, to get out there a bit. And losing that is really hard.

I almost would have preferred to remain steady in a disabled state. To give a thristy man a quarter cup of water when he needs a quart can be a very cruel experience.

Well, my ever present optimism will rise to the front again soon ... but today, I am angry that I cannot have what little I enjoyed this summer. this feeling will pass ... but today I am ticked.
Richard
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse? Empty Re: Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse?

Post  LizzieB Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Richard I feel for you, it's just not fair is it, well it seems that way sometimes however philosophical you try to be.

I can equate in a small way - last week I had 3 triptan free days, a first for months for me. It wasn't just the relief of not taking the tablets which I hate doing and the brief feeling of almost being normal, it was the promise of more to come. And I wanted more. Is that unreasonable?

Maybe . . . . you're just having a sort of relapse, you know one step forward and two back. I do hope so and that better times are round the corner sunny

Liz
LizzieB
LizzieB

Back to top Go down

Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse? Empty Re: Is "Good Time" A Blessing or a Curse?

Post  alli Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I know what you mean. I have periods when the migraines and all the body pain are less and I think yay! I'm getting better. Then the shoe drops. The weather changes, my triggers are all uppity, body pain gets really bad. I can't walk easily, I have to use a cane when out and about for more than a couple of hours if I am on my feet. My hands hurt so much I can't grip anything, much less cook they way I want to as I am afraid of cutting myself again. And my brain just stops working. Talking is like mush and I say the strangest things. I know what I want to say but what comes out is a bit different.

The way I look at it during those tough times is that it WILL get better again and it will get worse again. I treasure those times when I feel good because that is what carries me through the hard times.

Hang in there, Richard. It WILL get better again.
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm

It is so hard. I had 4 M free days last week - first days in over a year! Was wonderful and now things are back to the way they were. I was hoping things were improving but maybe not...

RATS! Like some cruel joke...
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I think it is both. It is, without a doubt, a great blessing to feel good, even for a time after suffering for so long. However, many times I have noticed that I am amprehensive, knowing that the pain will most likely return- and with a vengence. In the Bible, on several occaisions, God mentions sending his people "blessings and curses." I think this falls into that category. (Sorry, the former divinity school student in me couldn't resist the reference. I hope it doesn't bother anyone."

I remember my first period of remission- it lasted eight months and occured 6 years after the headaches became chronic. I was able to do British Studies that summer and would give anything to go back to that time when the meds worked and I was able to enjoy everything without worrying about a headache, or worrying too much about it. It was horrible when the migraines came back, but I don't think I'd trade it for a second.

Right now, the pain is really bad. It will get better sometime, but i am just getting by right now.

So migraine is both.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I so completely understand your thoughts, Richard! I have said that same thing to my therapist several times. I had a really good day (for me) at my friend's wedding a year and a half ago, and the ensuing days were even harder. I started to improve a bit in the fall, and when I crashed down really hard while in Brazil for Christmas, I fell to pieces, physically and emotionally.

I think what is hard is that it's just not the body that reacts to these bad times, but the spirit as well. My emotional state when I hit low after a slightly better time has always been really bad. I really get bad and often get suicidal.

Sailing Muffin's reference made me think of the classic line from the TV show Monk: It's a blessing . . . and a curse. I guess that's what it is for us too!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  marion Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:37 pm

One thing I have learnt. If you are having a good time, DO NOT brag about it. Was saying to I think Kate on a thread on Saturday that I have been sooooo good lately. Next morning stepped off the bottom stair at home onto the paver and went a--e up.

Sooooooooo angry with self for being sooooooooo stupid.. Stupid stupid stupid woman.
marion
marion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down