migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lumbar radio frequency abalation

4 posters

Go down

Lumbar radio frequency abalation Empty Lumbar radio frequency abalation

Post  Paradox Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 pm

I had a lumbar bilateral medial branch block done today as a diagnostic tool. I'm pleased to report that while I was not pain free, I did have some significant relief. I undergo it again next week.

If that is successful in giving me relief the Dr. want to do a lumbar radio frequency ablation. I'm jazzed to do it, thinking woo hoo! Finally no more meds.

Then I read that during the RF procedure you have to be awake. I am panicked. I have a tremendous fear and phobia of needles in my back and I've just read that this is a painful procedure.

I was knocked out for the branch block.

Has anyone had this type of procedure?
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Lumbar radio frequency abalation Empty Re: Lumbar radio frequency abalation

Post  lesherb Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:29 am

I've not had this but have had an LP done. Can you take a Valium which could help you relax and not be stressed in anticipation? Xanax would be good, too. You will need someone to drive you there and home again.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 am

I imagine they would offer me something. They've been very understanding about twilighting me for the other injections they've done.

I felt so much better for about three hours after the median branch block I really want to do the RF.

I think I can, I think I can...........
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:15 am

I didn't have RF in my back, but in my head, where they tried to block off the occipital nerve. I would agree that you should ask for something to calm you if you are afraid of needles. The procedure was not very comfortable. Also ask them to use lidocaine before doing the burns. The first round (I had three), my doctor didn't use the lidocaine, and I was pretty painful. But because I had so much pain then, he used lidocaine the next two rounds, and it was much better. Beware too that you are likely to feel as if your skin is burned for a little while afterwards, which is why they would only do part of my head at a time. I needed at least one part of my head to be unburned for me to lie upon. I can't recall what the medicine was, but my doctor gave me a drug that helps soothe the nerves, so if you do have a problem with feeling burned, ask about this. I have become so sensitive to any kind of pain that my pain quotient is extremely low, meaning that I hurt from things that don't cause even a slight problem for healthy people. So that means that I continued to feel the burn in my scalp for a couple months. This is highly unusual, but that is why I was on the med that soothes the nerves.

Good luck for you! This procedure didn't help my migraines, but it did help my good friend's father after he was in a serious car accident. She was supposed to have it too, but she is a student in England, so she had to leave the U.S. before the doctor could schedule her appointment.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  AZgirl Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:43 am

I had a RF at C2-C3 and yes I was awake. They gave me versed to relax me and they gave me lidocaine to numb the site, plus I'm sure a pain med in the IV. I went through 3 of these. 2 were supposed to be the test to see if the real procedure would work (sounds like that's what you're going through, too) and the third was the real one. They were frightening and uncomfortable but they were quick. The real deal was the most intense. I think I cried, mostly because I was scared. But then, I cry during lumbar punctures, too.
AZgirl
AZgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:48 pm

When I had the block done today the Dr. Told me he would be putting me out for the RF ablation.( he did tease me and say I could stay awake if I wanted...he knows my fear of needles in the back).

However, I'm in a quandary. The first round of block I got super temporary relief. Today, nothing...I don't know whether to go throughout with the rf ablation or not. I'm going to get a second opinion from my neuro before I proceed. I want to make sure I won't be damaging the nerves, but I know they will regenerate.

Hmm.....
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:00 am

Personally, I'd go for it. What I know of RF is that it isn't likely to do any real damage. And if one test worked for you, then there's a good enough chance that the treatment will too. I had only minimal help from the pain blocks myself, but I went for the RF in the hopes that I'd get even a little bit of aid from the pain.

I freak out at LPs too. I think it's because the first time, the doctor must have hit a nerve that shot pain through my back and made me jump, rather scaring the doctor because the needle was in my back and could have done damage, i.e. paralyzing me. Also, I have always had a severe LP headache afterwards, and it wasn't until my third and last one that anyone even told me of the existence of blood patches. They just made me suffer for a week the first time and three weeks the second time, unable to sit or stand at all. It was horrible!
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down