Canoeing at 5000 feet (lots of pics)

Go down

Canoeing at 5000 feet (lots of pics)

Post  Brent on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:47 am

Mowich lake is on the north western side of Mt Rainier. The last 16 miles up to it is a gnarly switch backing gravel road. But it's a beautiful lake with a some great hikes that start there also. I have been waiting several weeks for the lake to thaw out. 11 days ago my niece was there and it was completely frozen.

Hauling the canoe down to the lake from the parking lot. The snow made it a bit easier.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A mini island not far from where we launched at with the tip of Rainer showing.

Those logs were 4-5' under the water. The lake is feed with snow melt water and is extremely cold.

The east side of the lake had dozens of water falls and creeks draining into it fresh from the snow fields.

We found a large waterfall with a small patch of beach to grab lunch and climb the falls.

Mid afternoon we met up with my sister and her daughter to go on a 4 mile hike. The trail starts right at the lake parking lot.

Miss Grace and her crazy uncle taking a spin across the lake.

The trail up to Eagles Roost also had dozens of creeks and waterfalls.

Avalanche lily. They are the first of the alpine flowers to bloom. They will poke up through the snow and bloom before it even melts.

Eagles Roost lookout. Mt Rainier, 14,410 feet. One of the best views of it in the entire park. Even though it's a two hr hike to get to thwe lookout.

My sis, niece and Jessica. This is the first time in a couple months we got to visit.

My daughter ends up shooting most of the video since I am maneuvering the canoe around. She still is a bit shaky and the canoe is also not the most stable to shoot from. So take some Dramamine or skip it if you have a mig percolating.