'strangling' sensation headpain...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'strangling' sensation headpain...

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:24 am

Does anyone have 'strangling' type headaches?? This pain leaves you unable to even sit up. You can only lie down. If you don't lie down you will collaspe. Please respond if you do. I am wondering if I am alone in this. I have them approx every 3rd day. The other days I have other types. I am never without some type of headache.

Back to top Go down

Re: 'strangling' sensation headpain...

Post  lostinobx on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:39 am

Gail,

I am only responding to say that I am sorry that you are dealing with this type of pain along with your other types.

I myself, have never had this type. At least, not that I can remember. I do get them so bad that when I stand up I feel like I will fall over, but the strangling part is what is confusing me.

I too though am never without some kind of daily head pain, but I can manage that with my daily meds. I have to in order to be able to work. So far, my meds have been a lifesaver, and by meds, I am talking about my rescue, or pain meds. Fortunately, I am able to function on pain meds while at work as they do only take away my pain, nothing else like making me high, feeling out of it, etc.

I hope some others have some answers for you sweetie. I hate seeing you suffer like this.

Do any of your meds help with this type of pain you are dealing with?

Hugs and hope you feel better!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:56 am

Sorry Gail,
I have never experienced anything like this at all.
It sounds horrible, so sorry you have it.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

pain

Post  dawn.binks on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:57 am

is tis pain after taking any meds?
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

thanks for replies

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 am

I don't have any medications other then gabapentin. The gabapentin does nothing for pain. I take it in order to get some sleep at night. I am still searching for help. None yet.

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:34 am

I can read your frustration. Isn't that med you mentioned Neurontin? If so, no wonder you're not getting that much relief. Meaning, in my own personal experience with it, it didn't help me either, at all. I know that not only are they giving this med as a preventative, but also as an abortive, I believe. Is this correct and what they are giving it to you for?

I can't remember Gail, and I'm sorry if you have said this before, but does your Dr. have an issue with giving you pain meds? Or any type of rescue or breakthrough meds? It sounds like that is what you need and I truly hope that you can find a way to get something like this.

Good luck sweetie. Wish I could send you something to make you feel better. Just sending you good thoughts and hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "strangling" pain. Mine is more of a severe pressure as though there were a clamp all around my head and putting heavy pressure all around as if it's going to pop! When it is bad it makes me so dizzy that when/if I stand I end up spinning and collapsing immediately.
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 am

I'm not sure about strangling pain but I do get ones where I can't lift my head without excruxiating pain. I have to crawl to the bathroom when that happens. I just lay in bed and wait through the interminable hours till it lets up... then more hours till it ends.
alli

Back to top Go down

Hi there newtothis

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Your description sounds closer than any I've heard. Does it feel anything like a rubber rope going through you upper forehead, temples and down the sides? (pain is very difficult to desribe) Do you wake up with it? (I do) When I try to force myself to stand or sit I do collapse. One day, at the bank, with no place to lie down, I collapsed in the bank. Went weak, everything went out of focus etc. When I wake up with it it stays all day until the next morning. Does yours? Have you found anything that will relieve it? I haven't.

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Pretty much.. I feels like my whole head is just in knots. And the pain when I stand in like a red hot vise wrapped around my head. I usually am vomitting at the same time so meds do no good at all as they come right back up. I usually wake up with these and it takes 2-3 days to completely recover. If I can keep any meds down, pain meds take the edge off but that is all. I have to ride them out.

I've never been given anything strong enough to make a difference. Demeral shots wouldn't even help. I'd sleep for a couple of hours but wake right back where I started, so I gave up on that ordeal. Dragging myself the ER for something that didn't even work was not worth the agony of the ER waiting room. Thankfully I rarely get them that bad anymore.
alli

Back to top Go down

To: newtothis

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:28 pm

hope to hear back from you to see if we can figure this out.

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:23 am

gailgigi wrote:Your description sounds closer than any I've heard. Does it feel anything like a rubber rope going through you upper forehead, temples and down the sides? (pain is very difficult to desribe) Do you wake up with it? (I do) When I try to force myself to stand or sit I do collapse. One day, at the bank, with no place to lie down, I collapsed in the bank. Went weak, everything went out of focus etc. When I wake up with it it stays all day until the next morning. Does yours? Have you found anything that will relieve it? I haven't.

It is hard to describe isn't it! I sometimes wake up with it and sometimes it just comes up. When it just comes up it starts low and gets stronger and stronger until everything goes - weakness and focus issues and dizziness. That particular feeling usually doesn't stay all day but it does take it's toll and leaves me weak and very tired for the rest of the day. I haven't found anything to relieve it but the verapamil and nortriptylene have helped with the frequency and strength of the episodes.
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:50 pm

My pain is almost always a very sharp pain. I like to describe it as a knife, preferably a serrated knife with jagged edges, digging into my brain and twisting and turning as it cuts inward. So it isn't a strangling sensation. But it makes a huge difference to me whether I'm lying down or not. If I'm in bad shape, I must lie down, or my head will burst, although not burst as badly as the pain that comes after a spinal tap. That's the worst.
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Angel81 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:50 pm

You know, after reading this, it sounds a bit like the nightmare I went through on the weekend.

The pain reminded me of that scene out of the movie, 'The Mask' where he puts the mask on and the rubber goes around his head and kind of clamps on. It was like the back of my head was being squeezed with all this pressure behind my eyes so my eyes felt like they were burning and about to pop out.

I woke up with it on Saturday, had it badly until about 8pm, at which time it disappeared. I then woke up with it again on Sunday and this time it was so bad my husband eventually took me to the ER because I couldn't stop throwing up and was completely delirious. The ER, of course, was at useless as it usually is in these situations. I think my husband was just concerned because I was clearly out of my mind.

Didn't have problems with standing up though. It may have gone better for me if I did! The pain meds just weren't getting anywhere near it.

Angel81

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:03 am

Angel81 ~ sometimes have the balance issues and sometimes I don't with this but it usually started with the same pressure.
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top