migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine?

+11
HeelerLady
Greeneyes
Brent
VickiG
newtothis
crt
alli
lesherb
Jewishmother
pen
Hal
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine?

Post  Hal Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:03 am

First of all, you guys have to read this, it is very short:

http>//www.science daily.com/releases/2010/06/100623085526.htm

Now to my question. Since the advent of the very loud audio installations in cars, I have noticed that when someone gets close to me on the roads with their car stereo turned up and the very low frequency base booming so loud that it vibrates everything in my car, including me, it causes a migraine. I'm talking about those frequencies that you feel more than you hear. Does anyone else have this problem? It also makes me want to smash the guy's stereo with a sledge hammer, but I resist the temptation. However, I am always left with a bad headache.

Hal
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty Re: Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine?

Post  pen Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:40 am

Yes, Yes, Yes....

Hal we have boy racers going up this road with Lord knows what set up in the trunk/boot.
The music, if you can call it that....
It is so loud we cant hear the TV over it with the window shut and it booms .

I cant stand it, it physically hurts my head.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty Re: Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine?

Post  Jewishmother Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:47 am

Yes! I also feel the vibrations from certain sounds. I was at an arts and craft fair recently and there was someone playing a didgeridoo (a wind instrument) and I could "feel" the sound and it triggered a migraine. Also, the sounds of the vuvuzelas at the world cup soccer games were also a trigger and so we watched the games with the sound muted. We are just souls in very sensitive bodies...........
Jewishmother
Jewishmother

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 am

I can't stand those cars with the stereo vibrations. I remember enjoying blasting my music when I was young but I could hear it. I didn't feel it! With this relatively new, low frequency stuff, I find my skull vibrates and if exposed at any length of time, I am sure a migraine would ensue.
lesherb
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 am

Loud noises just cut through my head like a knife. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to blow out their eardrums voluntarily. I find it extremely rude to have someone playing their music or whatever so loud that it vibrates everything around them. Do they really think their taste in music is so freaking great that the whole world needs to hear it?

BTW the link doesn't work Sad

alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Plain old html works. Try clicking on the following.

<a href = http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100623085526.htm /a>

BTW, the boom-boom cars, as I call them, make me angry enough to want to do violence. No, the sound doesn't trigger a migraine but the sound and the rudeness of it are terribly upsetting.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Surround sound during a movie at the house can send me overboard! I felt weird when I saw my first 3D movie at the theater and that was before this started for me - now i'm afraid to go to the movies.

I rode on a go-kart with my son and his friend at the beach last weekend and I almost had to get off right when we got started! The one I was on had a high seat back and the vibration and sound of it ran up the seat and into my head. My husband said my eyes got big and he though I looked scared - I figured out that as long as I leaned forward and not back against the seat I was okay - i'd a hated having to jump off while the 14 year olds kept going!
newtothis
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:05 am

I agree with Chris. I've been desperate to do something violent to those morons who think that the rest of the world should suffer with their music. During my last semester of undergrad, after my migraine had become constant, the guys who lived in the dorm above me had a subwoofer, and it drove me crazy! I should mention that it drove my roommate crazy too, and she didn't even have migraines. What made me even more upset was the the school refused to enforce their noise rules because "it doesn't sound so loud from inside their room." But subwoofers send the bass travelling. My friends got fined because they had a guy in the quad (not their dorm rooms, just the outer living room) past 11:00 when they were watching a movie, but no one cared that the guys above me were causing me physical pain until all hours of the night! Do you think I'm still bitter?
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Not at all Vicki,

I have installed an imaginary button on the dash panel of my truck. I push it and it vaporizes the offending vehicle and the driver. We have noise ordinances in the Oklahoma City area that state that the car stereo can not be loud enough so that, with both vehicle's windows rolled up, you can hear it in the other vehicle. It is never enforced. I sure wish I could afford to file assault charges against these people. I am sure the police would just laugh and the judge would throw it out.

It would be nice to find a lawyer that would pick this up and run with it.

Do I sound bitter? I'm not. I just want to smash their stereo with a sledge hammer.

Hal

Last edited by Hal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

In my state it's illegal to have any music that can be heard more then 50' away in public. But it's hardly ever enforced.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Why aren't these noise laws enforced?
Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:59 pm

I would be more then happy to offer to help the cops enforce it. A wrecking bar through their speakers would be the warning. It would not cost the taxpayers anything. And it would be a great stress reduction exercise for me. It would be a win-win situation. Well, except for the little snot nosed bas&*%s.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty hmmmm

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:19 am

Oh yes, noise. I used to love hearing my stereo turned up full blast. The headaches have ruined my love of music. Also, I have noticed that any 'repetitive' noise in the distance can drive me out of my home. It is that disturbing. I purchased earplugs due to this. I knew there was a legitimate reason. But reading this artilce was re-affirming. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:06 am

My ex-boyfriend once lived in an apartment with 4 male college students right below him, and one of them played his stereo at unbelievable levels. I couldn't even go over to his apartment because I would get so sick. My ex called the police on them a few times, but all that would happen is that they'd tell the group to turn it down and then leave. When my ex talked with the police officer, he was told that they won't issue fines for noise violations; he would have to make a citizen's arrest on them in order for anything legal to be done to them. Because he was here on a student visa, he was afraid to get involved in the courts that way for fear that he might injure his chances of staying in the U.S. The apartment manager sided with the guys, saying they were "nice church people."
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:05 am

That is one of a hundred reasons my wife and I moved out to the mountains. We still have neighbors as close as 1000' away but they are not the type that feel the need to share their music. Nothing is a better motivator to buy a house and "get out of Dodge" then apartment life.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:35 pm

We have a young couple that live across from us who constantly blast their awful music..so loud that it vibrates in our apartment...grrr..

Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  alli Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 am

You said it!! I had 3 college age kids living above me for year. It was horrible. Courtesy was not part of their make up. Loud music, cigarette butts all over my patio from their deck, broken beer bottles outside my door. I will take a screaming brat living above me over those @ssholes. At least the kid falls asleep by 10 or so. These jerks played their music til 3 or 4 in the morning. The bass would vibrate our walls. Even if you called the police, they would just turn it back up after they left.

It took repeated complaints to the appt manager before they finally got kicked out.

I want Hal's ray gun. I have a few people I'd like to use that on! Twisted Evil
alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am

Another thought - how about we institute branding irons? Twisted Evil Or a scarlet A (for @$$hole) for something less permanent. I'm hoping that whoever they rent to downstairs is decent. The last tenants weren't horrid but they were lazy and didn't take care of anything outside but they weren't noisy.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Greeneyes Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:33 pm

That made me laugh you guys... lol!
Greeneyes
Greeneyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:00 pm

I had a similar issue. Any noise that came through a speaker (radio, PA, intercom, speakerphone, etc...) was unbearably painful and triggered a migraine. This started after taking lamotigrine so I think it was a side effect from that. It turns out this is called hyperacusis. There is an excellent support forum for this. (www.hyperacusis.net) They have information on TRT therapy where they retrain your ears to process sound in order to desensitize them. After about 2 months I was much better and after 6 months the problem seems to have gone away. It is quite expensive though and you have to see a specially trained audiologist. But for me at least it was well worth it to get rid of that trigger (not to mention the pain).
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty Thrum of radon mitigation system outside my bedroom wall

Post  BigShirley Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:35 am

drives me crazy! My husband can't hear it, but we had to take a painting down after it vibrated off the wall one day! Could this be triggering attacks? I am on the every day/every other day plan right now and ready to scream! I am new here and thank you for listening Very Happy
BigShirley
BigShirley

Back to top Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty There is something we THE PEOPLE can do...

Post  DaffydLandegge Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Its called a Petition to ban all subwoofer use for vehicles.  State its offense as "disturbance of the peace" and its negative effects to those around.  Especially the trigger for headaches, migraines and possibly seizures.  They are indeed intrusive (to that peace), obnoxious to those around and harmful to health (for the various reasons stated in here: headaches, migraines, irritant, prone to act out in violence and seizures).

I am serious about this.  This will have to be a Supreme Court issue as it pertains to the 1st Amendment and Constitutional Rights.  It will have to be on a federal level for that reason.  If you would like to put together a case for the Supreme Court I will be happy to assist with it.  I have already been putting together a letter containing information and proof to better state this case.  If it gets attention, we will still need one more thing...an army of people to back it up to get the power of motion (from the people).  Feel free to contact me and we can put our research, compliants and facts together to better state a case. Simply add an: at Y dot com after my username.

P.S. did I mention that our neighbors across the street blast it so loud that it literally vibrates the entire house?  I went over to ask the owner of the house if he can keep the bass turned down (even though it was his friend's car).  His friend (one of 2) said its already turned off (so don't worry about it). I stated that when its on, if they can keep it down, because it shakes the whole house. As I turned to go back to the house they began muttering stuff amongst each other, the owner got "beer balls" (without drinking) and began getting all violent and aggressive.  Kind of like a gorilla does to show dominance to its space and territory (guess I hurt his ego).  Goes to show what kind of people some of these people are and gains access to the innards of their thought process.  So he was basically threatening to kick my @$$ because they were being obnoxious, rude and disrespectful.  ???

DaffydLandegge

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 am

Given that they dont appear to be " nice neighbors", I recommend any further action be though the police.   If the noise level qualifies as disturbing the peace, you may get some relief that way. If it does not you will have to move or put up with it.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Migrainegirl Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 am

Given that they dont appear to be " nice neighbors", I recommend any further action be though the police.   If the noise level qualifies as disturbing the peace, you may get some relief that way. If it does not you will have to move or put up with it.
Migrainegirl
Migrainegirl

Back to top Go down

Very loud, low frequency noise causes migraine? Empty Finally, others with the same pain

Post  NMBear Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:47 pm

I finally found others that share the same pain from low bass that I do. I have had more MRI/CAT scans than I feel I should. The neuro that I was seeing had no idea what caused the issue. My reg MD gave me meds that it normally given to people with epilepsy (that scared me to death). The only thing that helped was large doses of Darvocet that knocked me out and scared my wife due to the side effects. One day we were flying to see family and I went to the Bose kiosk, and tried on a noise cancelling system. Finally something that gave me some kind of relief from the pain. Since the headset I was trying on only cost $400+ I had to find a more pocketbook friendly system. JVC HA-NC250 is the best that I have found for the $$$. I wish it would cover my ears, but since my first unit finally went out after 7 years, I think it MORE than paid for itself. I'm not saying these will work for everyone, but to help block out the base enough to be able to function I'll do what I need to.

NMBear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next