migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For those than can read online books

+2
TeriRobert
pen
6 posters

Go down

For those than can read online books Empty For those than can read online books

Post  pen Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:38 pm

Oliver Sacks Migraine book...

http://books.google.com/books?id=mMK2v6gnhVUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=oliver+sacks+migraine+book&hl=en&ei=UQg6TP_iJMP98AabroioBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=oliver%20sacks%20migraine%20book&f=false

Let me know if its any good please, I cant read on screen for long.

P

Last edited by pen on Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

For those than can read online books Empty Re: For those than can read online books

Post  TeriRobert Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Pen,

That book was written in 1985. It's probably fairly outdated by now.

Just an FYI for those who do much reading on Google Books. They're being sued in a huge class action suite of which I'm a part. They scanned many, many books still in print and under copyright and put them online without author permission. We're suing to make them remove our books.

Teri

TeriRobert

http://www.HelpForHeadaches.com, www.MyMigraineConnection.com

Back to top Go down

For those than can read online books Empty Re: For those than can read online books

Post  pen Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I was told this is a revised version, and if Google have overstepped the mark that's their problem. I am sure they will get sorted.

This and other migraine books are there to read. Personally I cant read online, but someone might like to dip into the index.

I understood it was of interest because this guy had migraines, but I have never heard of him.
If it is out of date then I guess Google probably will get away with that one...

Last edited by pen on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 pm

and if google has overstepped their mark that's their problem

Actually, Pen , it's a problem for all the authors that google is stealing profits from by hijacking their intellectual property and not paying for it. Copyright theft is a huge issue in the publishing world. Thanks, Teri for bringing it to my attention. I didn't know google was doing this. I won't download any books from them.
Paradox
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:13 am

Google have overstepped the mark that's their problem. I am sure they will get sorted.

I think that comment might be lost in the translation Charlotte.
It means....if they have done wrong they will get got.....
Good luck Teri.

I wasnt aware of this, but have posted to that effect on my page.

I usually use google books for searching for genealogy.
Frankly it is a huge help, I could have spent a fortune on books that dont contain anything of interest.
BUT, I have also bought, to date 7 books because I could see they were of interest, I would not have done that without the Google search. To me no different to the "see inside" on Amazon, just easier to search.

Hope we are clear now. Very Happy

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am

You're welcome, Charlotte, and thank you. I'm still really ticked. The settlement has been reached in court, but it's far from satisfactory to many of us. There's a ton of red tape to go through to get our books taken down, and it the meantime it IS causing us lost sales. Oh, and I think they're going to give me all of something like $60 to make up for it. Great. My agent gets 15%, HarperCollins gets half of what's left after that. I might get a couple of dollars in the end. What a world we live in when they can get away with this.

Teri

paradox wrote:
and if google has overstepped their mark that's their problem

Actually, Pen , it's a problem for all the authors that google is stealing profits from by hijacking their intellectual property and not paying for it. Copyright theft is a huge issue in the publishing world. Thanks, Teri for bringing it to my attention. I didn't know google was doing this. I won't download any books from them.

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Pen,

There's a HUGE difference between Google Books and Amazon's "See Inside." Google put up our entire books -- WITHOUT PERMISSION. Very few people bought copies of the books they read on Google. We -- the authors -- are the ones who lost out, and the settlement really stinks. See my reply to Charlotte, please.

Teri

pen wrote:
Google have overstepped the mark that's their problem. I am sure they will get sorted.

I think that comment might be lost in the translation Charlotte.
It means....if they have done wrong they will get got.....
Good luck Teri.

I wasnt aware of this, but have posted to that effect on my page.

I usually use google books for searching for genealogy.
Frankly it is a huge help, I could have spent a fortune on books that dont contain anything of interest.
BUT, I have also bought, to date 7 books because I could see they were of interest, I would not have done that without the Google search. To me no different to the "see inside" on Amazon, just easier to search.

Hope we are clear now. Very Happy

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  crt Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Pen,

Have you ever seen the movie Awakenings, starring Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro? It's based on Oliver Sacks's 1973 memoir Awakenings. Good film. I guess my point is that Sacks has been dealing with the brain for a long time. I read portions of his migraine book in paperback. I thought some of it was quite good, even if it is outdated.

Chris
crt
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Teri, You have taken what I said out of context my friend. I said ~"to me" no different.
Not to you, or the rest of the world. In my usage, its no different.

I search for Genealogy books that might have content of interest.
Most of them do not. I would have wasted a lot of money. But as I said, I have bought ones that do.
Found on Google as well as Amazon.
How does anyone know how many people buy or dont buy books they find on Google?

I also find a lot that are just bits of books, not whole ones, I sure dont see yours there so I guess if it was there, they removed it. But then I would never have looked. As I said I use it for genealogy.
The link I posted was sent to me. I thought it might do someone a favour.
I wish I hadn't posted it. I guess I will delete it.

I'm sorry if Google are doing you wrong, really I am, but I am neither proliferating, this, nor responsible for it.

I'm not sure what more I can say; sorry.

Last edited by pen on Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm

crt wrote:Pen,Have you ever seen the movie Awakenings, starring Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro? It's based on Oliver Sacks's 1973 memoir Awakenings. Good film. I guess my point is that Sacks has been dealing with the brain for a long time. I read portions of his migraine book in paperback. I thought some of it was quite good, even if it is outdated. Chris

Hi Chris, yes I have seen that movie, I guess I should have recognised the name. Interesting movie.
Thanks.
P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Pen,

Sorry I was cross with you. Lots of authors saw sales that had been consistent since the publication of their books drop off as soon as the books went up on Google. Mine IS there, almost all of it. Only a few pages aren't available. The settlement is a huge mess. Terribly difficult to understand and make my "claim" in the settlement. I could hire a lawyer to help me, but then I'd probably spend more than I'll ever see from the settlement.

Again, sorry,
Teri

pen wrote:Teri, You have taken what I said out of context my friend. I said ~"to me" no different.
Not to you, or the rest of the world. In my usage, its no different.

I search for Genealogy books that might have content of interest.
Most of them do not. I would have wasted a lot of money. But as I said, I have bought ones that do.
Found on Google as well as Amazon.
How does anyone know how many people buy or dont buy books they find on Google?

I also find a lot that are just bits of books, not whole ones, I sure dont see yours there so I guess if it was there, they removed it. But then I would never have looked. As I said I use it for genealogy.
The link I posted was sent to me. I thought it might do someone a favour.
I wish I hadn't posted it. I guess I will delete it.

I'm sorry if Google are doing you wrong, really I am, but I am neither proliferating, this, nor responsible for it.

I'm not sure what more I can say; sorry.

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:34 am

Teri,

I dont know if its different from the US, but your book is nothing but an overview and some nice reviews on Google books.
Do I have the wrong site maybe?
When did you last look??

Pen
BTW as its now 5 years old, are you thinking of updating Teri?
Mind you not much has changed has it, sadly... Sad

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  TeriRobert Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:41 am

I was going to come back and post an update this morning, Pen, but you beat me to it.

Their page for my book has indeed been changed, in the last few weeks it seems. HarperCollins, the publisher, agreed to Google leaving up the parts they did, BUT they didn't bother to tell me or any of the other authors they made this arrangement with. As I understand it, Google has been selling books through their links to Amazon, Borders, etc. As part of the settlement, I'll get a few $$ for the sales they've made in the past, and I'll get a part of their profits moving forward. I would have been and am fine with that, but nobody bothered to explain that until this morning.

The option of an update isn't my decision. That's up to HarperCollins, and they're probably not going to do an update, probably because of the economy. I have mixed feelings about that. In a way, I want to do the update. On the other hand, it's a lot of work, and authors don't make much in the way of book royalties unless our books are best sellers. How little authors make from writing books is something I didn't know before I wrote mine and some thing I don't think most people know. Plus, it takes so long for a book to reach the shelves, that sections of it would be somewhat outdated before it reached the shelves. After I finished writing my book, it too a full year to go through all the steps of editing, printing, and getting it out. Although writing online may reach fewer people, I can publish information more quickly and effectively online.

As for not much having changed since I wrote the book, more has changed than we usually think. I guess that's the good news. Wink

Thanks, Pen!

Teri

pen wrote:Teri,

I dont know if its different from the US, but your book is nothing but an overview and some nice reviews on Google books.
Do I have the wrong site maybe?
When did you last look??

Pen
BTW as its now 5 years old, are you thinking of updating Teri?
Mind you not much has changed has it, sadly... Sad

TeriRobert

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 am

Teri,

I personally think it is very unfair for people like yourself, along with music artists to have your books and their music out there on the internet for anyone to download or read without having to purchase the CD's or the books. I'm sorry that you are having to go through with this and that your settlement will not be what it should be. Especially since you spent so much time writing, editing, researching, etc., to get your own personal story out there to help people.

Do you guys remember that site Napster? Where you could go to download music. Of course, why would you go out and PAY for CD's when you can just burn your own. But what about the artists? How fair was it to them? Not very. I know I wouldn't want my music out there for all to take without paying.

Unfortunately, there are so many ways to get around this, even today, especially with all the sites out there such as those already mentioned, YouTube, and so many more.

I can only see it getting worse instead of better.

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:58 am

A lot of publishers made quite a bit of money from Google Books when my ex-boyfriend was writing his dissertation. They may have changed their format from two years ago when he did this, but he never saw the entire book, and he was limited to only seeing it for a certain period of time, and I think he couldn't print the pages. After, say, a week, he would no longer be allowed to see the portion of the books that he had been using. So he would then buy the books. And these were books that he probably would never have run across through library research, the traditional way of researching for a dissertation.

Google Books was a great resource, and it didn't hurt the publishers any with the format that Google used 2 years ago.

Regarding the income from writing a book, I understand that it doesn't pay much, but it's a great thing to put on a c.v. or resume. That's a key reason I'm working on the book I'm starting to write now. I don't expect to make money off it, but if I can get it published, it will go a long ways to helping me fill in this huge gap in my c.v. that the migraines have caused. I'll be able to show potential employers (or even schools, if I find the miracle cure and am able to go back!) that at least I didn't sit back and do nothing in my field while the migraines were bad and that I cared enough about my work to do something when I didn't have to. It also gives me more motivation to feel like I'm doing something worthwhile.
VickiG
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down