Racoon kitts (babies) with new video.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Racoon kitts (babies) with new video.

Post  Brent on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 pm

One of our semi-domestic raccoon mommas finally brought the youngsters up to show us. For the last six weeks it was obvious she was nursing a herd so we have been waiting for them to show up. This momma is four years old and has had three healthy litters so far.

Out here the raccoons are not pests like in the suburbs and we have never had any problems with the 2-3 that hang around here. We also have a neighbor about 1000' away that shoots them for no reason. So by feeding them a little they stay safe around us and don't wonder too far away.

Last edited by Brent on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brent

Back to top Go down

Re: Racoon kitts (babies) with new video.

Post  Hal on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:40 pm

How do I save a copy of that. I think you are very lucky to have those Racoons around the house.

Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 am

You can just click on this link and then bookmark it in your browser.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:56 am

OMG!!! They are soooo adorable! I want one too.
They look like little bank robbers with their black striped eyes.
Do they let you touch them?

I get incredibly sentimental and protective over animals. Your neighbor is a plonker and should be shot himself.

Try to look out for the little fur balls.

P.
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  lostinobx on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:47 am

Brent,

They are just too cute for words!! You and your family are so very lucky to live where you live and to have such wonderful wildlife around you. I envy you and yours.

Also, I wanted to say, I can tell by your posts that you have such a great heart and a wonderful spirit, as well as your family.

Hugs!

lostinobx

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:07 am

I just can't get over those raccoons. I keep watching the video over and over again. They made my day and those little chattering noises they are making are just so endearing.

P.
Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:36 am

I wish I lived somewhere like your environment Brent.
I love critters....these are too cute.

My husband and I and tow of our kids watched twice.
My younger daughter just loved the way they eat and the momma looking right at the camera
Its like she is saying...."and this is how we racoons eat"....

Thank you for posting.

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:34 am

There will be much more video coming. There is still the other momma that is obviously being leeched on. She had her gang up two days ago but my wife didn't get any video. Both families will be coming up almost every day for at least the next six months.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 am

GREAT video - good lighting, right length, most excellent You Tube work. My congratulations to the comera and computer operators!

What do you feed the racoons? Are you concerned that all these litters will saturate the racoon population on your place?

It really surprised me that your racoons are out and about in the daylight. Here on the mountain, the racoons are usually seen in the evening hours ... maybe they are completely nocturnal here - not sure as I am not a night person. Here the racoons greatest predator is man, also ... only here the danger is the slight but speedy traffic on the curving country road.

Thanks for posting this
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 am

I loved when Mama poked her head up and looked right in the camera!

My Hubby has named the raccoons around our house. His favorite is an old guy named "Gimp".
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:05 am

Awww they are so cute! We had a racoon family living under our house years ago and we would watch at night when Mama brought the babies out. 5 little fur balls following her on the fence. They were adorable!

Our cat was scared to death of racoons. She would not go in the backyard on nights the racoons were out and about. I think she lost an argument!
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 am

I watched a couple of the other videos. The one of the two racoons in the tree is so cute! What a cute little shoving match!Outta my way! It's my turn... move! no, you move! You're taking to long! move!
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:16 am

We don't feed them amounts that you would a pet. It's just enough to keep them around and safe but not dependent on us. Don't laugh but my wife also has a wild critter water fountain that is motion activated. It can get very dry here in late summer and during a few times in the winter. So this way there is always clean water available.

The small amount of food and water they get from us has likely made the difference of some of them living or not over the years.

The raccoon population has never increased around here over the years. The babies stick around less then a year and then disperse. We love our wild critters too much to ever do anything to harm or disrupt their life cycles.

My daughter has her friends over quite often and they love seeing the little bandits and even more when the babies show up. It gives them and my daughter a great experience and close up view of critters.

For two years I had a "pet" male raccoon that would show up in my shop every night as soon as he heard me out there. He would get a small handful of dog food from me and then hang around for a bit. If I was pre-occupied and not paying attention he would stand up and put his hands on my leg.

And we have let him in the house several times.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They like ear scratches as much as dogs and cats.

Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:02 pm

The other momma with only two kitts came up this morning. They are not as far along in the weaning process as the other clan.

And my daughter left a nice finger print on the camera lens so there is a bit of a fog spot on the video.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  WitsEnd on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Brent,

I have no idea how you ever get anything done with all these great creatures around. I would spend all day watching them, and when they weren't there, looking for them!

What a beautiful part of the world you live in.

Thanks for posting. I'm always happy to see your pics and videos Very Happy
WitsEnd

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 am

Thanks for sharing such great videos! My only comment is to issue caution about having raccoons in the house. I've heard several stories of raccoons who eventually turn on their owner. I think it's usually when the owner has had the raccoon since a baby and the hormones kick in that this has happened. But I've seen newspaper articles of people being sent to the hospital because the raccoon they adopted attacked them. So be careful there! We wouldn't want anything to happen to you or your family!
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:15 am

When I was in high school, I had a baby racoon as a pet. I found it in a tree in the back yard. It was very friendly. When I would go to school, I would keep it in my bedroom and close the door. It would totaly destroy the room with nothing left unturned. After a week, someone came knocking and claimed their lost pet.

Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  crt on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:08 pm

One of the adult male raccoons that visits us had some sort of accident. His tail is completely gone. It was a terribly raw looking wound at first but it's not infected that I can see and seems to be healing nicely. I have no idea what happened to him, but it does appear that the tail was removed cleanly with something very sharp.

I hate to think that a human cut off his tail for a souvenir, but sadly there are some folks around where I live who would do such a thing and think it was funny.

Chris
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:01 pm

It most likely was a fighting injury. The males around here will shred each other up real bad. I have seen a couple that were mangled up so bad I doubt they lived more then a day or two. It would be very tricky to get a tail from a live raccoon. If someone wanted one they would just trap or shoot it.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Hal on Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I was thinking that it may have been lost in a trap. He is lucky that is all that he lost!

Hal
Hal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top