See how this one sits.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

See how this one sits.

Post  pen on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:24 pm

pen

Back to top Go down

Re: See how this one sits.

Post  Johnfd on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Me - Chronic Migraine - Happy childhood.
My mother - Severe migraines - Happy childhood apart from growing up in wartime Britain.
My sister - Severe migraines - Happy childhood so far as I'm aware.

Suspect this is a crock of s#!t
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Lot of it about John.
I had a fairly happy childhood, but only child, so lonely.
Also parents often went days without speaking and I cant stand silences.

Neither parent had migraines, nor anyone else that I can find.
Dad had pretty rottnen childhood after his mother died when he was 12.
Mum brought up in poverty (miners daughter b WW1). Mother not good at the TLC

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Me - Chronic migraine. Father sucessful but an alcoholic. Parents in unhappy marriage which caused a great deal of stress for me.

Mother - Chronic migraine. father died when quite young and family impoverished

Sister - Occassional migraines. Same childhood as I.

So many people have alcoholism in their family, I'm not sure I would consider it abuse. When sober my Dad was very kind and loving.
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  dcook60 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

just got home from working 12 hours, so not gonna read the article, but will respond anyway.

me: chronic migraines after being bit by "something" (maybe a lyme tick?) in 1969 at age 29. parents divorced when i was age 8, but i was not abused, nor was i particularly stressed about the change of living conditions (moving in with grandmother in another city). happy childhood for the most part.

dad: alcoholic. had bad headaches but they weren't diagnosed as migraines. they certainly could have been M's. he did complain about his neck hurting. bro and i spent summers with dad and his new wife, who was also a drinker.

it was a bit scary when they were both drunk, but mostly we had many wonderful adventures as children, living on a 4000 acre cattle ranch in pretty primitive conditions, such as taking baths on a flat rock in the creek. fun for kids!

mom: never had a headache in her life. a very loving but controlling mother.

brother; only sibling: no headaches.

another flaky theory, imho. dianne
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Me: No migraines as a child, but physically and mentally abused until my teen years when I could escape. Occasional migraines started in my late 20's increasing to daily in my 40's when I was also (finally) diagnosed as OCD (obsessive).

Dad: Disconnected and abusive until I was old enough to defend myself. Then just disconnected. No alcohol or drug problems, but scary quiet at times. We think he was a POW in WW2 and carried some baggage. I say think because he would never talk about the war, ever. There were other signs also.

Mom: Yelled a lot and was also abusive. My brother and I think she took her frustrations with my dad out on us kids. Seemed to always have a headache. Migraines?

Brother: No migraine problem that I know of.

Growing up the way I did I would not write off the notion of upbringing causing migraines. At least in my situation... Suspect
02R96

Back to top Go down

sit?

Post  crt on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 pm

I think that many people look for cause and effect relationships where there are none.

Did you know that over 99% of serial killers drink water? Smile

Chris
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:27 am

LOL, Chris. Very Happy

Dan, so many of WWII vets wouldn't discuss it. My best friends Dad never did. then when my friend was an adult his Dad took him to a WWII reunion. he said he wished he hadn't learned the horror his Dad had gone through. It broke his heart.
Paradox

Back to top Go down

childhood

Post  dawn.binks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 am

chris agree 100%. the thing is if we go back 1-2 generations were looking at relatives that endured the war then parents that took the brunt from the suffering that rolled onto the next generation so who is going to say they had parents that were unscathed by that???!! er!! lets get real here are we needing reasearch into migraine a neurological condition or sending our parents off for pshchological counselling!! im assuming that it was a pschologist that wrote the article and they will find an answer for every condition in their own field. when we struggle so much with the stigma of migraine and getting good treatment lets leave such reports where they belong in the recycle bin!!
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

childhood

Post  dizzyflower on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 am

have to agree with last post.

mine was an idylic childhood with summers spent playing in the orchard, still got em. tea total parents, always employed parents, never rich, but happy. Go back a generation and of course you will find stuff that's bad, look at the bad bits in my own life and you could make it fit. Just like a fake psychic's statement.

Di

dizzyflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:49 am

That is total BS! Anyone that tries to say regular headaches and migraines have the same cause and tend to lump them together has immediately discredited themselves with me. My wife suffered horrible abuse by her step dad yet gets less then one headache a year. If fact I don't even remember the last time she had one. And on the flip side I know plenty of mig patients that had a fairly good childhood.

And the term "abusive childhood" can encompass a lot of different situations that most of us can say we experienced some level of. So it shouldn't be surprising that mig patients might appear to have a childhood abuse link. They could say the same about diabetics, depression, MS, CF etc.

Chiropractors will say (preach) that cervical subluxation is the cause of all health problems. And psychologists would have you believe that most health problems are mental. Acupuncturists and Chinese medicine people will say it's blocked energy meridians. They automatically discredit themselves in my eyes when they can't be at peace with themselves that what they do only can help certain things.

There are associates of mine that are treating people for conditions that they should never be dealing with.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just unwind our childhood experiences with a counselor and have our migs just disappear.

Every person I know, family and friends, discredits that study.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 am

back in the early nineties I went to a psychologist to help me learn how do deal with the stress of having a handicapped child. Instead I got the oh so popular at the time " repressed sexual abuse" line of BS.

I told them if I had repressed it I had for a reason to and saw no point in taking it out and examining it! I never went back. It just struck me as so much psycho babble and I didn't have time for that.

At other stressful times in my life I have had very down to earth psychologists who have helped me a great. You justo have to have your BS detector on.

Oh, and I still don't think I was ever sexually abused....
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  sailingmuffin on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 am

Hi All,

I absolutely hate it when migraines or chronic headaches get linked to some psychological trauma. I understand that some people may experience this, but I do think it is true of the larger migraine population. Also, since my migraines became chronic at 17, I was always asked if my childhood was a factor or if I was doing it for attention. This was not the case.

My paternal grandmother had migraines. My father had them has a teenager- he will now get an occasional aura, but no pain. I got my first migraine at age 12 and they became chronic at age 17. My parents, who are both physicians were always supportive and helpful. For about a year though, Dad seemed to think that the migraines were somehow his fault, because he passed on the gene. (this is not true.} I think what frustrated my parents most was the fact that neither one could "fix" the migraines- they are drs, they felt that they shouold be able tofix thier own child, but they couldn't.

I actually had a very happy childhood. I have two older brothers, neither has migraine. My mother does have chronic back pain, but she has had that all my life. She continued to do things and I have learned not to give up from her.

Several years ago, I was treated at MHNI for migraines. My mother did go with me. This was just after my junior year of college. That year, I had to particpate in several social events at home (well debutaunte balls.} THe psychologist was driving me nuts- I finally exploded told and basically said "look, I just finished finals, i had to participate in 4 balls this year. I am ok psychologically so please, just help me deal with the headaches." He said "well, you could have said "no". (In my hometown, it is considered an honor to be asked to do these. Plus, the people who did ask had known me all my life and basically said, we have sons, but no daughters, so we want to present you.} Somehow he got the idea that my mother had pushed into participating. The other problem occured when I was being treated with a medication that made me very sleepy and it was given shortly before morning rounds. So I asked if my mother could be there, so i would get questions answered and at least have someone there to absorb information in case I forgot it. (I was attending boarding school when the migraines became chronic and I learned how to handle a lot of my medical care. I also learned that you sometimes need an advocate.}

After that, I was told that my mother was the cause of my migraines- nothing else, hjust that I had them because of my mother. Finally, I convinced the doctor to call my father. Dad basically said "look, neither my wife not my daughter is crazy. Treat my daughter." Once they actually started treating me, things improved. Indeed after bilateral facet blocks followed by radiofrequency to C2 and C3, I experiened my first period of remission.

Migraine is a disease. It is possible that stress can effect it, but I am more inclined ot think of it as a genetic or primary neurological disease and not a psychological one. I know that depression and migraine can be comorbid. I certainly dont think that abuse as a child is a clear cause of migraine.

I hate it when I am told it is psychological. It is not.

Pain free daysm,
sailing m
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 am

SM - well said.

My childhood wasn't all rosy but it wasn't horrible. My father was not available, emotionally and my mom did what she could. I think they did better than their parents did and that's all that matters.

SM, interesting that you say depression and migraines are comorbid. I have a family history of depression and my episodes were triggered by the situation I was in. Medication for a while and adjusting my life fixed it for me. My mother and brother do battle that though. The funny thing with me is that anti-depressants (no matter the class) either made things worse or did absolutely nothing.

However, no one in my immediate family has them. The closest relative is my dad's cousin and her daughter. The cousin cleared up but the daughter (don't know if that makes her a second cousin?) is still battling them. However that side has another neurologic condition that is heritable and I do wonder if the M are a manifestation of that in me. Just musing on my part.
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Should I just point out, I was only the messenger.... Very Happy

Got you talking though didnt.......

Pen

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

I knew what your intent was. Thanks for posting it. We need to know how we are being thought of and portrayed amongst the professions. The enemy you know is better then the one you don't know.

Any goofball info like that we need to be made aware of.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

paradox wrote: You just have to have your BS detector on.

Well said. I have a history of panic attacks and depression and I'm seeing a psychologist again. I keep off the topic of migraines with her because I want to deal with the anxiety which is both medical and mental. Of course migraines shape the way I am today, and yes, my childhood wasn't good. But even for dealing with anxiety ---> I'm not convinced that anxiety is all because of a bad history or trauma. That stuff is just the trigger. When I look at the genealogical clues and monthly trends, I believe it is largely chemical. But chemical or psychological, I have to find a way to deal with it.

Same thing with migraines. Part medicine/part coping.

Put it in a box of blame all you want --> it doesn't change a damn thing. We are what we are and that is unique and should be treated as such.

Angela

Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 pm

I was molested as a child but I don't think that has anything to do with migraines. They run on both sides of the family for generations so a genetic link is much more plausible. Abuse can't give you a neurological disease!

Now I do think it has some sort of influence on anxiety or depression as I was in a fight or flight scenario for years and had to mentally and emotionally shut down to protect myself. Several years of couselling helped with that and I don't think what happened as a child has any effect on me now other than make me hate pedophiles.

I just have a defective brain. My migraines started when I started puberty and the only time they let up was between my son and daughter's births which points to brain chemistry.

As was mentioned... the BS detector has to be on when we read stuff like this. If I have one person tell me that abuse is what caused my health issues, I think I'll go ballistic. It is a form of blame the patient. "If you deal with your emotional scars, you'll be "cured"."
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Brent wrote:I knew what your intent was. Thanks for posting it. We need to know how we are being thought of and portrayed amongst the professions. The enemy you know is better then the one you don't know.
Any goofball info like that we need to be made aware of.

Thanks Brent. I pick up all kinds of garbage for my FB group. I pass most of them by, but that one I thought worth imparting.

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by pen on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : gremlin punctuation)

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:07 pm

alli wrote:
.......I just have a defective brain.

Our brains adapt to whatever it takes to survive a given set of circumstances. There is nothing defective about your brain. The fact that you are still here and functioning as close to normal as any us means your brain adapted very efficiently. You probably have a sixth sense that allows you spot a potential pedophile or at least someone you would want to be more careful with.

That will provide an extra layer of protection that many parents could only hope to have. My wife is also a molestation survivor and she has spotted pedos years before they finally got busted. She has done it enough that she actually creeps people out.

And she has helped countless molestation and abuse victims start on the road to recovery. There is absolutely nothing defective about survivor brains. If anything they are higher developed in certain areas. They can be of more help to others since they have lived the same trauma.

If we found a neurologist that has migs I can guarantee they would be far more empathetic, caring and efficient at treating other mig patients. The same goes for abuse survivors, the can help in ways no one else can.
Brent

Back to top Go down

messenger

Post  dawn.binks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:18 pm

pen, it certainly isnt the messenger we have a prob with the author!! no wonder we all struggle so much with how migs are percieved when we have people like the pschyco doing sucha good job for us!!!! Wink
dawn.binks

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Did you guys catch the bottom of the article? It says "Source: American Headache Society". With friends like that we sure don't need enemies. I would think a group like that would be on our side trying to dispel myths and stereotype. Instead they are propagating them.

I can just see a non mig person reading that and maybe finding it a little odd. But then thinks "It must be true if it's from the American Headache Society". Mad

I sent them a rather pointed and condemning email. We have to call bull $*^% on this kind of misinformation.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  02R96 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 pm

I can only speak from my experiences. But I have always wondered if some of things I went through and saw are not the the root cause of my migraines. There are some things you never forget and anxiety and repressed anger can take a tole on a persons mental state. This also applies to my father. So for myself I will put this on my list of maybes. But I doubt it's a one-size-fit's-all diagnosis and I don't think it's meant to be that; it's just a possibility.

As for my Dad, he was a silent monster who would explode over the mildest of situations. Don't know why. My mom was a willing participant. It doesn't take a PHD to tell me how that can impact a child.

My father immigrated to the US after the war. After he died we found papers from Germany listing him as a "displaced solder". He was originally from Hungry. Doing the math and a bit of research that put his age at about 17 or 18 when he would have been conscripted, and Hungry was overrun by the Nazi's. The papers are very old, the writing is faded and written in three different languages, so it's hard to tell who or where he was processed. The bottom line is something was always eating him and I think it destroyed him inside. It seemed like he would lash out at who ever was the closest.

I'm happy to say I did not continue the cycle. My daughter (who is a presidents list collage student) still comes home to spend time with me and my wife and my 16 year old son and I do things together all the time, although I don't think my wife get's our slightly warped senses of humor!

I left home at 17 and never looked back.

02R96

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:23 am

I can't believe research money was wasted on that theory!!! What a bunch of idiots there are out there.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  alli on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 am

Thank you Brent,

I hadn't thought of it quite that way before but you are right. The trauma I experienced did make me much stronger in some ways and definitely has my radar up. Since I am not an alcoholic, drug addict or using any other destructive coping strategy, I need to give myself credit for being as strong as I am. And yes, my creep radar is definitely firmly in place.

Alli
alli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top