Introvert or Extrovert??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introvert or Extrovert??

Post  cupatea on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:02 pm

First of all, I'm sorry. I should have created a poll for this but quite frankly I'm not that well-versed on this site yet.
I was curious, my fellow migraineurs....do you consider yourself introverted or extroverted?

I don't know the clinical definition, if there is one, but:
Extroverts gain energy and re-charge by being around people...friends, loved ones, etc...
Introverts gain energy and re-charge by being alone.

Perhaps they are not mutually exclusive. I am introverted yet when I'm feeling ok and in a group of my friends, I'm rather the clown!
I always try to talk to people helping me...grocery clerks, etc, and ask about their day. I think I'm also a bit personable on the phone. (I think only a few of you can debate this!!!)

I was just curious as to what migraines do to these different social personalities. If you are extroverted, is it hard for you to be alone with your migraine?? Obviously its hard for us all, but I'm talking chronic bad ones...

I have a problem with the pain, but not lying in a room alone, surrounded by a few of my furry kids!

Tea alien
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Re: Introvert or Extrovert??

Post  CluelessKitty on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I think I am a little of both, probably more of intro then than extro but then I absolutely must have my girlfriend
to talk to or I will go bonkers!!
I love company, parties but not all the time. I also cherish my time alone.

Risa
CluelessKitty

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:43 pm

I am in the truest, rather than the popular media sense an extrovert.
My husband is introvert. He is happy with his own space and hates gatherings.
I dont like big gatherings, but do need some sociability. Otherwise I drive myself nuts in my head.

Even when I am in pain, unless it is so bad I cant function, I gain strength from people.
The other day,when in the midst of a pretty bad migraine someone called, a wrong number.
I got chatting to this fella and we spoke for 40 minutes.
In case you are interested, he was blind and so was my mum and my father in law...

Point is, I managed all that conversation, when I had been sitting holding my head.
I dont usually even get the phone when its bad, but I was home alone at that point.
When we finished, I realised how bad my head was all over again, but it was great to have the outlet.
I felt better in myself, and useful from the conversation

I also had a chat with another migraine person with whom I have never spoken before last week.
I had a bad head, but she was so nice and friendly, and it was a good chat, I felt better for the chat.
My family were out and expecting to make dinner when they returned because they left me with a lousy head.
In the middle of the chat I went and put the oven on to do dinner....

I think I am quite shy, and people make that mistake i think with extrovert and introvert.
I need people. Cant always handle it, but IF I can, I always feel better providing I know when to stop.
Which I often dont. The worst thing about my health problems is the loneliness. I have no one to talk to.

Oops, you wanted a poll ,sorry Tea....Extrovert lol!

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 pm

I am both. in a group I am a clown. I have many close friendships that I cherish. Yet I need my alone time. I'm perfectly happy taking a weekend trip by myself to re- charge.

The older I get the more introverted I am. I think as I age Im getting more comfortable with who I am and my own company.
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm definitely an introvert. I would much rather be on my own and away from people.

However I am social. I love to host parties and have friends around but I can't do it all the time. I need my alone time or I go bonkers. My ex always wanted to be with me and it drove me totally insane. It was like leave me the %^&* alone!

The current guy and I, we work quite well independently. Smile
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Mix of both

Post  cupatea on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:19 pm

It sounds like we are mostly a mix of both.
Pen, I also spoke with someone recently who I really liked. We just hit it off, and although I'm not a huge phone person (in fact, I dropped my cell in the bath on Friday. It wasn't on purpose. I swear. Really. Very Happy ), I really enjoyed the chat.
I also have a couple of friends that I speak with weekly. It is a nice distraction from the pain, if it isn't too bad!

Thanks,
Tea
cupatea

Back to top Go down

Post  Almostangela on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:46 am

Both. I turn it on, when I'm in a group of people. But I'm very content to be alone and actually crave it.

Angela
Almostangela

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 am

cupatea wrote:It sounds like we are mostly a mix of both.
Pen, I also spoke with someone recently who I really liked. We just hit it off, and although I'm not a huge phone person (in fact, I dropped my cell in the bath on Friday. It wasn't on purpose. I swear. Really. Very Happy ), I really enjoyed the chat.
I also have a couple of friends that I speak with weekly. It is a nice distraction from the pain, if it isn't too bad! Thanks,Tea

I can make quite a difference cant it Tea. If, as you say your pain isnt too bad.
If mine is really bad, I dont even pick up.

I really miss people company. I lost most of my friends because of my health.
It isnt that I crave it, and I guess I do turn it on a bit if I get out, but I always figured that was because I am naturally shy.
I grew up in a small business...bakers shop. I learned to speak to people very young despite the shyness.

So, although my head doesnt like the phone much....not sure why....if I can go for it I will because it makes me feel better to interact with someone outside of my house. I spend so much time in it, I get a bit stir crazy sometimes.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 am

Pen,

I don't like the phone either. My head just doesn't like it. Probably because the volume control isn't there and the other person can't tell by looking to tone it down so my head doesn't spin around.

I've been meaning to call another local member from the forum and as much as I want to talk to her, my head just doesn't want to. Sad

It's much easier to talk to someone in person. I had a lovely chat with an elderly gentleman at church this last Sunday. I do enjoy that age range...probably because I dearly loved my grandparents and they are all gone now. They have had such wonderful stories and life experiences to pass on to people around my age. Smile
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:39 am

You can always talk to me Becky, I am pretty elderly. cheers

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am

I am both. Love to be around people but also just like being with me.

During a migraine -- definitely alone!!! I'm no fun.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Introvert. I need a lot of time away from people and hate crowds. But at parties I will mix it up with as many people there as I can.
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  30yrsofheadache on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:11 pm

I am an Introvert. I have a few close friends, but mostly enjoy quiet times with family. I dread big parties and meeting new people. Having kids brought me out of my shell a little, but migraines make it hard to maintain.
Cindy
30yrsofheadache

Back to top Go down

which?

Post  crt on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Definitely introvert, with or without pain.

Chris
crt

Back to top Go down

Post  pen on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:03 am

I dont like big gatherings either, but can turn it on.
But I struggle to survive without some human contact.
I no longer have any friends nearby due to illness.
I am very very lonely.

Phone chats and the internet have to do, but I miss my friends.
However, they apparently dont miss me.

P

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 am

More on the introvert part, here.
I am also very extrovert, but only with people I like and with whom I feel at ease. I cannot fake to be social and enjoy a party where I have nothing to share with others.
I love to get to know new people and make new friends, I NEED it because I always need fresh ideas and points of view in my life, but I am very selective so I will never try to make friends at all costs with a new neighbour just because he/she is a the "stranger just arrived in town".

Unlike my best friend and my husband, loneliness does not scary me at all. I can live alone, I can stay on my own for days and never feel bored or lonely. (This applies in particular to those awful migraine weeks .... )
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  VickiG on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:27 am

I was always an extrovert. I think I still am, but I have been forced to get more used to being alone. However, I don't like it, and I get lonely. I think that this is one reason why Ronda's has meant so much to me. I don't get the chance to go out and see people, and I don't even have many friends I can talk to on the phone very often, but I can always come here for friends. My problem is that I have been so bad for so long (12 years constant migraine, and never below an 8 without meds for a couple years now) that I have trouble getting out, so I haven't kept up the friendships. And also because I have always drifted towards international friends, most of my friends of recent years have gone back to their own country!

There is one good thing about having international friends, and it's one that only really benefits me because of my migraines: the time difference. For example, it's 4:30 a.m. right now, and I'm awake because I'm hurting so much. This happens quite regularly. Fortunately, if I get too lonely or really need to talk to someone, I just call Taiwan and talk to my Taiwanese sister! She is usually available to talk if I need her, and right now, it would be 6:30 p.m. there, so she's not in bed!

But I've always been the outgoing, extrovert type.
VickiG

Back to top Go down

Post  nursebeth on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:17 pm

total extrovert bounce
nursebeth

Back to top Go down

Post  Petzi on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:47 am

I am a complete and utter introvert. I am happiest on my own, with my husband or with my cats. I never get bored alone. The prospect of social interaction fills me with dread and anxiety. I could happily retire to a remote "Alm" (small alpine cabin) and keep human contact to an absolute minimum. One day I will sell up and do just that.

P.

Petzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top