migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MRI was normal, of course.

5 posters

Go down

MRI was normal, of course. Empty MRI was normal, of course.

Post  prettyserious Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:33 am

Just got back from the doctor, and my MRI the week before last showed everything all normal. He didn't seem too concerned that it was a mini-stroke like the neurology tech did, and I have to agree with him.

For now, he's moving me from Inderal to Topamax, and from Midren to Maxalt for an abortive. There are generics for Topamax and Maxalt, right?

He also said that the next time I have a mig to just call and they'll fit me in to get toradol and phenergen, which is really great because his office is super busy. I'd never called before because I guess I just assumed it wouldn't work.

I think I'm gonna go hide for a while now because I can feel one coming on and the hubs and I have plans to go to the theatre tonight. I will NOT miss it for a stupid migraine!
prettyserious
prettyserious

http://www.twitter.com/pretty_serious

Back to top Go down

MRI was normal, of course. Empty Re: MRI was normal, of course.

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

Well that's good news I suppose. Smile Just never know how to respond to news...head's a bit off today.

Yes there is a generic for topamax (topirimate) but no there isn't for Maxalt. The only triptan that is generic is Imitrex. I am surprised that they didn't give you phenergan - that's a pill you can take unless they are doing it for a combo and injection form. Which is possible.

Anyway - glad you have a new plan of action and I hope it works for you. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  prettyserious Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 am

Oh, they didn't give me phenergan because I already have a standing prescription for that from my female doctor Smile Otherwise I'd be in a world of misery, because nausea is one of my most marked mig symptoms.

I didn't have one today when I went, was just getting results from my MRI... But that's a bummer about the Maxalt, because Imitrex didn't help me at all. I really hate paying so much for non-generic scripts. Oh well...
prettyserious
prettyserious

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Oh good.Smile I can't imagine running in every time I had nausea...I'd be in most days. Not one of my favorite symptoms.

I know the feeling about non-generics. My former neuro prescribed Relpax...while I have insurance it was $35 for 9 pills. OUCH! Went to my GP and he prescribed Maxalt - $15 for 9 but I can double the Rx to 18. So $30 for 18. And it works, thank goodness. Smile
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Super1Mommy Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:59 pm

I too recently had a normal MRI...was glad on one hand; on the other would have liked something they could "fix." Especially since even with insurance it costs so much! I also take Relpax for my migraines. It works pretty well for me. Insurance covers the bulk of the cost, and I get 90 days (54 tablets) at a time for my copay of about $50. Same with my Topamax--90 days (180 tabs/100mg. ea.) but that copay is somewhat less.

Super1Mommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:53 am

I take generic for topamax and for 30 days it's like $4.00 at walgreens with my insurance. I too have constant and even severe nausea at times due to my migraines and my neuro writes my phenergan prescriptions with refills for 12 months and for the max # of pills he can give me that my insurance will allow. I also get a suppository since as of late the phenergan isn't working.

Prettyserious I notice you are from abingdon Virginia. I am in Bristol tn/va! Hope your dr is able to help you find some relief.
Tngirl83
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  prettyserious Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:54 am

Tngirl83 wrote:Prettyserious I notice you are from abingdon Virginia. I am in Bristol tn/va! Hope your dr is able to help you find some relief.
Wow, it's a small world! I grew up in and currently work in Bristol. Smile

At least it looks like the Topamax will be cheaper than my Inderal, which is always good. The Maxalt will be pricey but on the website (http://www.maxalt.com), you can print off a voucher for 3 free tablets and also a $20 coupon off of a prescription. I think between those two, I should probably be set for a while (assuming it works for me, but doc did give me a couple of free samples).
prettyserious
prettyserious

Back to top Go down

Post  Super1Mommy Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:48 am

Very small world indeed; I am in Virginia also, just close to Williamsburg and Jamestown. My neuro is in Williamsburg.

Super1Mommy

Back to top Go down

Post  prettyserious Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Turns out my Topamax is $10 for 30 days with my insurance... rats! Smile Oh well, could be worse!

But I'm definitely, completely okay with those few dollars extra - I took my first pill last night and I haven't had a headache all day. ALL DAY!!!!! I normally have one from the time my eyes open in the morning until they close at night. I don't know if maybe it's just the power of suggestion or what, but I know that it's supposed to take a while for Topamax to start working to its full benefit...and I'm even starting out on a very low dose, 25mg for a week and then 25mg 2xday. I had the same results with Inderal, but the headaches returned after about a month.

Maybe this is my answer?? I hope so! I'll try to not be hopeful in case they come back, but there is still a pretty big gap with my starting dose and the levels that are considered best suited for migraine prevention. Hopefully we can find it and it keeps working for me.
prettyserious
prettyserious

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Make sure you do a search here on Topamax. It's a pretty ugly drug and there are a lot of horror stories from people that have taken it. Far more bad stories then good ones unfortunately. Please be very careful with it. I had several serious problems from it just at 100mg.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down