Does anyone get worn down by pain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does anyone get worn down by pain

Post  sailingmuffin on Mon May 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi All,

Ever since the second stimulator wire broke a few weeks ago, the headaches have been horrendous. So horrendous that they have taken over the fainting, i've had insomnia (but this has been helped by zanaflex.} I am just tired all the time. I feel so worn down by these two disorders that I do not know what to do. I am just exhausted. Does anyone else feel this during a bad spell.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Re: Does anyone get worn down by pain

Post  pen on Mon May 17, 2010 4:27 pm

I fell pretty worn down almost all the time. I cant work, can drive, cant do much most of the time.
I have better days, but I never have a good day. No not being negative, its just how it is.
I think it is like this for most of us with Fibro and the migraine is frequent and disturbs my sleep so adds to it.

I do understand how you must feel. everything is such an effort.
We went to see my son yesterday before they go off on holiday.
I wanted to see them, but could hardly be bothered to get ready.

Bummer isnt it.... Smile

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady on Mon May 17, 2010 6:22 pm

SM,

Weather seems to be in a bad cycle for me and I've been in worse pain lately and yes it gets really old really fast. It's hard on the body and it's hard mentally. If I didn't have my dogs I don't think I'd have a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Facing at least a level 6 pain every day gets very hard to deal with and I've been dealing with it for almost a year.

Hang in there.
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate on Mon May 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Yes. When they go on and on for a week or more I start to wear down.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs on Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 pm

SM, I don't think my pain is as constant as yours, so I'm lucky in that respect. You have my utmost respect for being able to cope as well as you do, and for dealing with the level of pain you do too. It's no wonder you are exhausted.

What wears me down, and it's an emotional exhaustion, not a physical one, though it still wears me down, is the lack of understanding from friends and family, esp. family who ought to know better or at least be more compassionate. They don't think I have a legitimate reason to be in pain, they don't "believe" in migraines, they don't think I need pain medications, etc. etc.

I live with my sister and brother in law, and my BIL thinks I'm on drugs and tells people that I am a crack addict, that I get high all the time, etc. Not even joking. And beyond trying pot once in college, I've never done illegal drugs in my life. I've told him that it bothers me that he says these things to other people (strangers who will believe him if he tells him this type of stuff) and he and my sister just get mad that I'm "too sensitive to take a joke." It's not a joke to me, and I don't think he's joking, he's always putting me down for having to take prescriptions for my migraines, although he takes hydrocodone for back pain and thinks there's nothing wrong with that.

I hate being treated like a drug addict by my family, people who are supposed to love me and be supportive of me, and instead treat me like crap.

Then there's the whole attitude that migraines aren't really a disease, it's all in my head. I'm imagining it. I'm exaggerating it. I'm making it up for attention. I've heard it all. In fact, whenever I say I have a migraine, I'm almost sure the house will get noiser, not quieter, as my BIL will suddenly decide he wants to chase the baby around and scream through the house. Or throw things, yelling and screaming. Even if I go to my room and shut the door, it's still loud. A 3-year-old has a very shrill voice, and it's not his fault if his father encourages him to shriek in play. I swear it's on purpose, it seems like it's usually always when I have a migraine. If I have one but don't say anything and try to hide it, I get more quiet.

I find my home situation exhausting emotionally because there is zero understanding, zero tolerance, and zero sympathy for my situation. There's only impatience, suspicion, accusations, and mockery. Its awful, and sometimes I end up in tears, half from the migraine, half out of frustration.
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Tngirl83 on Mon May 17, 2010 10:33 pm

Being on week 10 of this horrid migraine, I completely understand. I am emotionally and physically drained and I am still pushing myself everyday which I think is making it worse.

Not to mention the several other medical problems and specifically the ones causing even more chronic pain on top of the migraines. It's all I can do to just take a shower each day.

And it doesn't help that people don't understand. It just makes it all the worse.
Tngirl83

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy on Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 am

Hi,
yes, I am completely a different person during and after a migraine.
I feel devasted to the point that I can't talk and don't feel like seeing anyone. I just feel like laying down and recover some energies.
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd on Tue May 18, 2010 3:16 am

Yes, The constant migraine does wear me down both physically and mentally. My only migraine free days this year were March 1st and 2nd, although the intensity of the migraine does vary. With no medication that touches it life is difficult and I am slowly but surely ground down by them and constantly fighting off depression. People's lack of understanding even when they are trying to be considerate just adds to the desperation.
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady on Tue May 18, 2010 6:12 am

Johnfd,

I'm dying to know...what were those 2 days like? And what did you do? Sorry, in another bad streak where I can barely see and want to go get sick and perhaps lay down in front of a garbage truck (it is garbage day so I wouldn't have to wait long). I haven't had a pain free day in almost a year and don't remember what it's like.

The doctors think I'm nuts when I tell them I want 1 pain free day. They look at me like I've lost my mind - they have no idea that I'd sell all my extra organs for that. The pain psychologist gave me this weird look when I told him that - like you want only 1? Walk a mile in my shoes dude and we'll see if you aren't curled in the fetal position crying like a girl after one my days.

Bubbs, if you ever want to move to WI, I'm looking for a roommie. Smile I'd gladly take you in - you just have to put up with the dogs and they aren't as bad as a shrieking 3 year old...hairier but less noisy. Smile And someone who gets it. Smile

Becky
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnfd on Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 am

HeelerLady wrote:Johnfd,

I'm dying to know...what were those 2 days like? And what did you do?

The good days came out of the blue after a really bad spell and caught me by surprise!

I woke up to find I still had tinnitus but there was nothing else. It was the same the next day. I've had pretty constant but fluctuating migraine headache for ages with only the odd day or few minutes off over the last 4 or 5 years. My diary then says that on the 3rd of March I woke up with a full blown migraine. I think it was then that I registered on this forum.

At the time I went for a short walk on the beach then walked each day to a friends house and helped him put his old Triumph motorbike back together. I even had a couple of beers! I hadn't seen him for a while and I actually wanted to spend time with someone, not alone as usual. He was the only person I could think of who wouldn't be working.

Sorry to hear you're having such a rotten time Becky. I'm fairly ok after a bad week or so when I was much like you are now. I'm trying to do some stuff in the garden but bending down for any length of time is dodgy, which is why I keep coming in and looking on line.

Hope you feel better soon.
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  HeelerLady on Tue May 18, 2010 8:47 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. Smile I know all of this gets so old.

In some ways I'm so blessed to have the job I do - because it means I'm still able to work and support myself. It gets tempting to go on disability...I think if I had to function in the "real" world, I would be on disability. Most employers wouldn't allow this and I can't drive many days - actually I refuse to drive when my vision won't stay stable. I have my good days - like everyone but lately there are more and more bad ones and I fear that the neuro is out of ideas and may give up...
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate on Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 am

AuntiBubbs, wow, your bil sounds like a jerk.

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs on Tue May 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Kate, yeah, he kind of is. Very Happy My mom and I scratch our heads and wonder how my little sister could've chosen him. But she married young, she was 20 when she met him and didn't even wait a year before getting married. I could tell you lots of stories about how awful he is to me. I can't even cook unless he's not home, he complains about the smell of what I cook. Sad My car has a leaking roof, and even when it rains, he won't let me put it in the garage. I wouldn't mind all the other stuff, but the way he is about my migraines and my meds is so frustrating.
The 3-year-old is so much easier to tolerate than his 30-year-old dad!

HL, you're so sweet. If I could find a good job out there, I'd move to WI in a heartbeat. Razz Keep your eyes peeled for me!
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  tortoisegirl on Sat May 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Oh yeah I get worn down by the pain. I have to constantly explain to my husband that I am tired but not sleepy, because when I say I'm tired he'll tell me to go to bed, but I really just need to lounge on the couch and build up some strength.

tortoisegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  hpilgrim on Sat May 22, 2010 9:51 pm

I am VERY worn down by pain these days...
I agree with Becky - I'd like to deliver about 10 seconds of my pain to various people (some of them doctors, some family members, etc) and just watch what happens...

Nothing to do, no way to explain what it's like to the 'outside'----

Hang in, God bless,
Holly
hpilgrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top