Update on new preventative trial

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Update on new preventative trial

Post  msmolly on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am

Hi all,

I posted in February about a new preventative I was taking at the suggestion of my new neurologist. My migraine pattern was about 2-3 per week when I went to him in late January. I've been on nortryptoline (50 MG) for years as a preventative, but obviously it wasn't doing much. After some discussion he agreed to my request that we try the most benign answers (meaning in terms of side effects) before moving on to Topomax or some of the other options.

Started on Lisinopril, a blood pressure med, 10MG daily, on about February 1st. Some improvement in late February, then in March I had only 6 migraines total. In April, which is of course almost over, I have had only 3 migraines! The only side effects are a dry cough and some dizziness, and those are diminishing the longer I am on the med. I am still on the nortryptoline because it really helps me sleep.

Needless to say I am thrilled. And hopeful that it keeps working. I will keep you posted in hopes that someone else might benefit. Such a seemingly easy fix after years of 2-3 migraines per week!
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Re: Update on new preventative trial

Post  newtothis on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:03 pm

That's great!

I'm actually on nortriptyline and verapamil 80 mg 3 x a day (which is also a blood pressure medicine - though my blood pressure is fine) and the combination is making a big difference in the severity of my migraines!

Debbie
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 am

msmolly - I take amitriptyline for the same reason you take nortriptyline - for sleeping. I also get migraines 2-3 times a week. I am very leary of taking anything else after trying Topamax. Do you think it is the Lisinopril that is helping or the combination of the nortriptyline and Lisinopril?

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  msmolly on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:21 am

Interesting question. The doc didn't suggest that the combo might be a good thing, just agreed to let me stay on the nortryptoline since it is such a good sleep aid for me. I have been assuming it is all the Lisinopril - but am seeing the doc tomorrow and will ask his opinion. Thanks!
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Post  estre004 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am

msmolly-I wrote this stuff down to ask my neuro his opinion also. Give us an update and I will do the same.

estre004

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:47 am

msmolly wrote:Interesting question. The doc didn't suggest that the combo might be a good thing, just agreed to let me stay on the nortryptoline since it is such a good sleep aid for me. I have been assuming it is all the Lisinopril - but am seeing the doc tomorrow and will ask his opinion. Thanks!

It very well could be the combo. Verapamil alone wasn't doing the trick for me but adding in the Nortriptyline has made a difference. I was told by my ENT that the Verapamil/Nortriptyline combo was the "old faithful - tried and true" combination.

Debbie
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  msmolly on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Just got back from my neuro appointment. He is of course pleased with the success of the Lisinopril. I asked if it could be the combination of that with the nortriptoline, and he said absolutely possible - that the two classes of drugs together often create a synergy that makes each more effective than it would be on its own. I will stay on the same dosage of Lininopril unless/until the migraines get more frequent, in which case he will up the dosage.

Also have been diagnosed with CPEO, but due to increasing muscle weakness in my legs he ordered blood tests to rule out myasthenia gravis. (sp?) Scary but I feel so blessed to have found this doctor - I trust him with all of my infirmities. Smile
msmolly

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothis on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Glad you have a neuro you're happy with - it makes a huge difference!

Debbie
newtothis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top