Facelift dr. and migraines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facelift dr. and migraines

Post  sherri b on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Well, I went to Cleveland yesterday and met with Dr.Bahman Guyuran. He is sure he can help me. He is a Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, the first Dr. in 6 years who ever did a C.T. scan on my sinus! He said I have a deviated septum, and an air pocket in my sinus. That, he said is the reason for the constant deep, deep pain I am experiencing. He also wants to do 4 other procedures on my face.

Cut at each temple, and remove the muscle that runs across my forhead, ( I won't ever be able to frown again, only raise my eyebrows Smile

Then there are 2 very small nerves below the end of my eyebrows he will remove on each side.. Also on the back of my head near the center are 2 "mushy" spots (I call them anyway) he will remove both of them and replace them with fatty tissue. It is a 3-4 hours surgery.

He has a 92 % success rate of no more migraines and the other percent, only occasionally! They are off of their migraine meds.

There was a woman there from Atlanta GA that just had it done. They had to pay cash for the surgery ( about $ 17,000) But she was willing to get her life back. ( I don't have that kind of cash laying around) I'm not sure if she had the sinus surgery.

I would have drain tubes in my nose (2 of them) and a drain above the eyebrow and one on the back of my head. They would be removed in 2 days. All of the stiiches will dissolve on their own.

HE also told me I would not be "presentable" for 7-10 days after the surgery. ( the woman had terrible swelling and very black swollen eyes but she was walking around and talking all excited)

I am going to wait till I see if Insurance pays for it obviously. If they do, I will probaby do it. It was very scarry at first, but after I have had a day to ponder and think about it, I am almost certain I would do it. I have to wait for 4-6 weeks to see if insurance will pay.

I'll keep everyone posted. I really liked him, he was very confident in what he is doing. I think I trust him.

Just wanted to let everyone know...

Sherri B!
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Re: Facelift dr. and migraines

Post  Anna on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Oh Sherri, this sounds wonderful. Imagine what it would be like to not have migraine anymore. I am so happy for you.

Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:38 pm

So happy for you Sherrie! Definitely let us know about it, especially if the insurance will pay or not.

How exciting!
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Facelift dr and M

Post  rileyoday on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 am

Hello Sherri, In 04 I had an MRI that showed abnormal which led to ENT dr. His CT scan showed deviate septum which he would gladly
fix but said would not help my daily HA or 4-5 M a week.

Mid 09 new neuro wanted a recent MRI which leads to another trip to diff ENT. very sharp dr. here also. he insisted the deviate septum
is not M related. Im not familair with air pocket..... If either of these Drs had offered to surgically help my M I would do it.! However
they seem quite certain M are not cured surgically.

Im not sayin dont do it . I would do and HAVE done anything to help myself. I think surgeons like to help with surgurey. It pays the bills. Im only recounting my own experiance. I hesitate to post as it sounds negative, but during my daily HA and M I would have done it also. I hope total success for you.

rileyoday

Back to top Go down

Facelift dr and M

Post  dcook60 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:31 pm

sherri, here's another cautionary note. i've had 2 septum revisions, (the second was to fix the damage from the first, at age 19....) and roto-rooting sinus surgery. i am not better!

i would be very very suspicious of this doctor's supposed success rate. he is a surgeon, and surgeons are trained to see everything as a surgical case.

i regret, now, all the cutting i allowed on myself. my nose is ugly and not the same as it was, because ear cartilage was carved out of the back of right ear and grafted into the tip of my nose. i really wish i had left it all alone. still, after all this, i suffer with almost constant sinus infections, and daily head/face/migraine pain.

please get multiple "other" opinions. hey, i know how desperate you are, and most of us here do get that way. we don't see how we can make it thru the rest of our so-called lives, without trying things. i fully understand. but after 14 surgeries, on various other parts of my anatomy, i am definitely DONE with being cut on. dianne, age 70
dcook60

Back to top Go down

Post  lesherb on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Back in 1990, I was told that fixing my deviated septum would fix my headaches. My ENT said that the uneven air flow through my nostrils because of the deviation, caused an air pocket (aka a vacuum situation) in my nasal passages. It was this "vacuum" which caused my severe pain.

The septoplasty was not bad at all. I stayed overnight because the doctor agreed I should rest. Since I had small children at home at the time, he didn't want me to have to take care of them (which is what my ex-husband would have forced if I was home). Otherwise, I could've gone home that same day.

I had packing in my nose, no drains, but of course, I didn't have the other surgeries you have posted. Alas, the septoplasty did not cure my migraine pain. Perhaps my doctor was not successful as I still feel a difference in size between my two nostrils.

I do not believe this surgery can cure migraine. If it could, then you wouldn't need the forehead and back of your head surgeries, too. Just some food for thought.

Of course, if you choose to have this done, all of us will support you. I just wanted to give you a bit of warning about it.

Good luck,
£eslie
lesherb

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b on Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Dear rileyoday, dianne and leslie,

Thank you so much for your imput and comments. I have been to 2 neurologists that both told me sinus surgery is not the answer, that yea, it might work for a quick fix, but will not last. I guess I just needed to hear from you all to remind me of that.

You know you just get your hopes up. I was afraid about the muscle being removed from the forehead, and the back of my head. This is such a new procedure, who knows what could happen to my face later on down the road from all this.

I didn't have a good feeling about this from the beginning, but I just thought it was fear on my part.

Thank you for your posts. None of them were negative, just honest. I appreciate you all sharing your genuine concerns!
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Mishkyn on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 am

Sherri,
You wrote:
"Well, I went to Cleveland yesterday and met with Dr.Bahman Guyuran. He is sure he can help me."

Here is a story by Teri Roberts, who posts here frequently:

Plastic Surgery for Migraine? Maybe.

Not for those who respond to preventive treatments.

by Teri Robert, Lead Expert

Anyone with Migraines will tell you that we all wish there were a cure for Migraine disease. The reality, however, is that there is no cure at this time.

Even though there is no cure for the disease, there are effective treatments, both for prevention and for treating Migraine attacks when they occur. Preventive treatments, at their best, reduce not only the frequency of Migraines, but also the severity, making those Migraines easier to treat and easier to live with.

Over the weekend, I kept seeing news headlines such as the following:

• Surgery may cure some cases of Migraine
• Surgery Potentially Best Option for Severe Migraine Headaches
• Surgery the best bet for Migraine headaches

My problem with these headlines is that they're inaccurate at best. The articles that go with the headlines are about Dr. Bahman Guyuron's surgical procedure for the PREVENTION of Migraine. I reported on one study of this procedure in our article Plastic Surgery for Migraine? That study had a one-year follow-up.

In newly released research, 79 Migraine sufferers were followed for at least five years after having undergone Dr. Guyuron's surgical procedure.

Since the surgery, 10 of the 79 patients required additional surgeries for newly detected trigger sites and were eliminated from the final analysis. Of the remaining 69 study participants:

• 20 (29 percent) reported elimination of Migraines entirely.
• 41 (59 percent) noticed a significant decrease in Migraines.
• 8 (11 percent) experienced less than 50 percent improvement or no change.

Dr. Guyuron stated:
"Migraine headaches are extremely disabling and this surgical option offers hope for Migraine sufferers... Combined with the previous studies, this new five-year data has provided strong evidence that severe Migraine headaches and their painful symptoms can be successfully treated with surgery with lasting results."1

For patients who suffer frontal Migraines, Dr. Guyuron removes the corrugator supercilii (frowning) muscle group in the forehead that is suspected to be a trigger point for headaches, compressing nerves and causing nerve inflammation. Temple Migraines are treated by removing a small branch of the trigeminal nerve. For those patients who suffer from occipital (back of the head) Migraines, a small piece of muscle encasing the nerve is removed and replace with a soft tissue flap. When the Migraines are located behind eyes and are triggered by weather change, he works on the nose septum and surrounding structures.

Summary and comments:
Guyuron's procedure may prove to be a possible preventive option, but the data released thus far is hardly conclusive. The study discussed above had no control group.

It was a small group of only 69 patients, and they were all from the same treatment center. The 29% of participants who reported total elimination of Migraine may seem impressive as does the 59% who reported a significant decrease in Migraines until you consider the following:

It's not unusual to see the placebo rate (the percentage of participants who respond positively in a trial even though they receive an inactive substance or sham procedure) in trials exceed 30%.

Guyuron's surgical patients aren't drawn from the total Migraine population, but from a smaller subpopulation. His procedure is performed only on patients who had positive results with Botox injected into their "trigger sites." If study participants had been drawn randomly from ALL Migraineurs, the success rates would have been dramatically different.

Dr. Samuel Lin, a plastic surgeon at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical school says,
"It is too soon to tell. More studies will need to be done."2

He says, as I have, that the procedure has potential, but "...it is still early in the process of seeing if this is truly the treatment of choice for the majority of patients."2

Dr Lin says that before the surgical procedure gains widespread acceptance, it should be compared to Botox and other current treatments, and it should only be done after other less invasive treatments are tried and found to fail.

According to the Lasalandra article, "Guyuron agreed that the treatment is not a good option for those with infrequent migraines or for those who respond to preventative treatments."

As with any research, this research needs to be replicated with a larger group of subjects and in other locations before the treatment moves into the realm of "accepted" treatments. It may be that, for the subset of Migraineurs for whom Botox works, this procedure will prove to be a viable option. However, it must be remembered that Guyuron's trials have been limited to that subset, the study group was very small, and the research has yet to be replicated.

Here is the link to the article:
http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/medications-409549-5.html

I know how much we all want to believe someone can help us, but it seems that he has NO right, based on actual results, to tell you he is sure he can help you.

I am so sorry. I know how many times I have gotten my hopes up being told similar things over and over in nearly 4 decades of constant pain. It hurts just as much every time I realize I have been lied to for...what? money? for me to be another patient to do research on?

There are many more links to articles and ratings on Dr. G.

I, too, keep waiting for our miracle.
Mishkyn

Mishkyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 am

Sherri,
I don't want to discourage you, but surgery on head/nose/teeth/nerves has not given terrific results so far. I know many people who have gone through surgical procedures for migraine but none of them has solved or significantly improved the situation.

As a migraineur I share your point of view on trying anything to make the monster go away, but we're talking about surgery here. It means anesthesia, invasive procedure, pain, risks....

I find that this doctor is offering you too many expectations vs poor proven results.

Just my opinion, anyway. If you feel that surgery can improve your situation, just do it!

Take care
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Thank you Mishkin for the article by Teri. I printed it out and will study it. Thank you all for all your concerns! I appreciate it. I will continue to research it, but from what I have learned thusfar, I will probably decline the surgery even if insurance pays for it.
sherri b!
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  milo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Sherri, I was as excited as you.

My opinion...the sinus surgery is rarely successful and doesn't help the headaches at all.

The "migraine" surgery...is a long shot. I think I would do it if I could get it done mostly covered by my insurance. I'd be worried about the longterm effects as well. (It took me almost ten years of research before I got my eyes surgically corrected).

The acrticle from Teri is very informative, and though it made my heart sink a bit, I'm glad it was posted.

Keep us posted about if you get approved for coverage.
milo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 am

Sorry, I should have put my response to the post in a PM. It looked somewhere like it might have caused a problem.

Last edited by Noona on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cathy

Back to top Go down

Post  sherri b on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:59 am

Cathy,

Thank you so much! I didn't have a good feeling when I met him. When I got the paper work in the mail, he just looked so sweet and kind and gentle, then when I met him in person (and his nurse) there was just "something" about them. But I pushed that aside thinking it was just me.

You know almost everyone around me, (aside from close friends and close family) people I work with, family and friends are all excited about this, they really think I am crazy for not wanting to just have it done, I do have reservations,,, it's very invasive, and to remove muscles from my forhead and the back of my head had me concerned about later in life! You get what I mean. We are only mid 50's and what about 10 years from now? Is my face going to fall.. ? Not to mention, I believe God put those muscles there for a reason, and this dr. wants to "just remove them?"

I am so glad you wrote, I really am taking serious consideration in this. First of all I don't have the cash. We do have very good Health Ins. I thought if it paid I would do it, but now, I am not so sure at all. I probably won't do it. The more I hear from people like you the more I give it second thoughts.

I appreciate this forum so much especially for times like this.... I value all of you opinions very much.

Thank you Cathy and for all who have written. I will keep you all posted, but if I had to make the decision today, I would have to just say no!

Sincerely,
Sherri B!
wishing everyone a wonderful day! Smile
sherri b

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top