migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

re: 'hissing' sound in ears....

+6
marion
Mule Kick
Kate
Brent
alli
pen
10 posters

Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... - Page 2 Empty Re: re: 'hissing' sound in ears....

Post  ajr Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Pain relievers such as aspirin, ibuprofen, naprosyn, etc. can cause tinnitus and make it worse. My brother in law says it gets much worse/louder when he takes a lot of Aleve, etc.

"Tinnitus is a condition commonly known as "ringing in the ears". The ringing sounds are brain-induced; that is, ringing is perceived in the absence of any external auditory stimulation. In addition to ringing sounds, roaring, hissing, clicking and other non-externally generated sounds are also classified as tinnitus. Chronic tinnitus can be caused by noise exposure, disease, excessive use of aspirin or other pain relievers, and use of certain antibiotics." from http://www.adviceonhearingaids.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=990

It is briefly mentioned in this list as a cause, along with certain antibiotics :
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tinnitus/page2_em.htm#Tinnitus%20Causes
ajr
ajr

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... - Page 2 Empty thenks for replies

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:01 am

When the hissing began I had never taken any pain relievers. Ever. I have read that they can cause it. Now, after taking for example asprin, I have noticed it can cause it to become louder. Interesting.

Back to top Go down

re:  'hissing' sound in ears.... - Page 2 Empty Re: re: 'hissing' sound in ears....

Post  Johnfd Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:31 am

I have had tinnitus since my migraines became chronic. I describe it as the sound of the pressure cooker on the stove. I was told it was not linked to the migraines but due to my over use of aspirin but, I understand it should go away again when you stop using it. This has not been the case for me and has been constant for a number of years. It is not too intrusive but becomes significantly worse during attacks. Aspirin makes it temporarily much worse as well so I never use it.
Johnfd
Johnfd

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:32 am

I have my first full migraine in 8 days today. The hissing/ringing (tinnitus) is awful.
Not sure if it is the Triptan or the migraine....driving me nuts....

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekses Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:40 pm

I`ve had the ringing long before I started taking pain killers. Not a serious case of it anyway so I paid it no attention until reading this topic. It`s like ... very slight and unobtrusive ringing all the time. Sometimes gets a bit louder for, like, 5-10 seconds but nothing worth mentioning to the doctor Smile
Zekses
Zekses

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:38 pm

I have the hissing too. I just assumed it was migraines or the TMJ. I think that's why I always want some kind of background noise on. It helps distract me from it. I even play the rainymood website for white noise while we sleep. It's much more pronounced in the quiet.
Brenda
Brenda

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down