Maybe Less WILL Be More (?)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Richard on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:41 pm

We had a great trip to The City By The Bay - San Francisco. Wonderful Japanese box lunch, good buys at Union Square, and found new curtains on the way home. Lovely day.

Saw my neurologist - pain manager. I have been badly off using Lyrica. Normally at this point we switch to Topomax. I would often get a month or two of some relief and then have to switch back to Lyrica. He initially suggested Topomax.

I asked him what would be the effect of NO migraine preventative (reducer) since such are not particularly effective for me these days. He thought it was a splendid idea. So I am tritating off Lyrica over three to four weeks and then have a four week trial with no preventative medication. I asked and he answered it would take four weeks after I tritated off Lyrica before we would know if no medicaine was a helpful path.

We also discussed pain medication. I have a normal one prescription that will last me two months. I am not worried - it will be enough.

So, time will tell - is less really more? This time last year I was taking dozens of pills daily. Today, only 4 + pain medications & two of the pills are for non-migraine health concerns.

Wish me luck - I am real opptomistic!
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cindy*W on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Richard,

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Personally I have tried all the preventative out there and never got much help from any of them.

Many caused more side effects than anything.

I have done drug holidays here and there and the one good thing that usually comes out of those, is that I apprediate my pain meds even more.

The end of last year, my doctor decided instead of a useless drug holiday, he just wanted me to titrate down to half of the pain meds I was on.

I was skeptical that it would be a good idea, but I did what he asked and really have been doing quite well for the last 6 months or so.

So all I am taking now is Percocet (half the dose) , Zofran for nausea, and nortriptyline for sleep.

So...like you, I wonder if Less is More.

Anyway, let me know how this plan works for you.

Crossing my fingers that all goes well and you actually feel better.

Cindy
Cindy*W

Back to top Go down

Re: Maybe Less WILL Be More (?)

Post  sailingmuffin on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:15 am

Hi All,

I have come to understand that less may be more in my case. A month ago, I was on a lot of medication (MSContin, T3 for beakthrough, diazepam, as well as ritalin for fainting} in short, I was on too much and it was not doing much for the headache. Abourt 3 weeks ago, I had one of my horrible episodes of nausea and vommiting- which lasted five days. I went home because the only thing that ends these episodes is shots of IM phenergan. (These are prescribed by my internist and given by my physician parents in order to keep me out of the hospital.}

During the time I was home, we realized that I needed to get off most of the medication. I found that all the medication was not improving the headaches or fainting. So I spent two weeks at home and stopped the medication. Currently, I am taking only my night meds- Zanaflex, Zoloft as preventatives. I take tylenol 3 or diazepam on bad days. If it is really bad, I can take one morphine. Tylenol 3 seems to work better than Morphine for me.

So far, the "less is more" theory is working fairly well. ( Currently knocking on wood, crosssing fingers, and saying a prayer to the patron saint of headaches as I write this. I know it is a little superstitious, but I am not about to jinx this episode.} I am more "with it". I can think better and am no longer fainting ten to twently times each day. I have also found that some of the natural things help too- peppermint tea, B vitamins, ginger, a wet rag of witch hazel on on my head. I know this may sound strange- but none of this can hurt me- so I figured it was woeth a shot. It helps some. Note- this does not mean that I have abandoned modern medicine in any way- still under the care of a neurologist, pain doctor, and internist.

So for me- getting off most of the medication, has helped me. Again, this is just me. I am just sharing my own experiences right now. I really hope is works for you and that things get better for you. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts, deal Rischard.

Pain free days,
sailingm
sailingmuffin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paradox on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 am

Agreed. When I think of how many I was on last year! Over $300 a month WITH insurance. This year, $30 a month. I take Doxepin, Zofran, and Vicoden. It's working wonders.

Out of 21 days I've had three bad ones. It used to 21 out 21 bad ones. Woo hoo! cheers
Paradox

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:31 am

Sailing Muffin ...hearing that you are doing better has made my day! My week! My entire month! I am so glad for you.

My neurologist explained to me HOW we gt on too many medications. I start with a preventative. I am ill and get depressed when I lose my job. My doctor prescribes an anti-depressant. The anti-depressant makes me anxious - I am prescribed anti-anxiety med. The first preventative does not work so I get a new one ... it depresses me more that I am still bad. I get another anti-depressant/pain reliever on top of the one I already have - don't ant to stop that one, now do we? But the pain is bad. Let's add an extended release pain med and some rescue meds. Oops, constipation - one med for general constipation and another for situational problems. Now all this medication makes sleep impossible - add a sleeping pill ... and so on and so on.

Glad I insisted that enough was enough. ALL my doctors had a "wow" moment when I said I wanted LESS. they all agreed. I hope no preventative/reducer is helpful.

Again SM - you have made my day! SO HAPPY for you!
Richard

http://richardofravenhurst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum