migrainepage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advil and coffee

+3
AuntieBubbs
HeelerLady
Kate
7 posters

Go down

Advil and coffee Empty Advil and coffee

Post  Kate Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:19 pm

For those who do the advil and coffee thing, how much coffee do you have to drink for it to take affect?

Kate

Back to top Go down

Advil and coffee Empty Re: Advil and coffee

Post  HeelerLady Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:58 pm

I have coffee every morning...between 10 and 16 oz. It definitely knocks it down for me.

Before I went chronic a 20oz gas-station cappaccino used to knock it out for me.
HeelerLady
HeelerLady

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Kate, not alot. A cup in the morning, sometimes a cup in the afternoon. I take advil alot, but not always every day. My nuero does not see a problem with this, as long as my liver is ok. I told him about how I get exertion headaches when I work out, and he said to take advil before I start working out to head those off. He is not "against" OTC medication like alot of dr's seem to be (or at least, from how it sounds like the way alot of dr's seem to be from what people say here on the boards). He says, if it works, I should take it. If triptans work, I should take those instead. He's pretty open-minded. But definitely ok with coffee and advil. Smile

I never drink more than 3 cups a day though, and thaqt pretty rarely. usually It's 1 cup a day, and advil as needed.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:37 am

And keep in mind all the interesting research about the health benefits of coffee. Most of us grew up hearing it was bad from our parents. My eleven y/o daughter is now drinking but not daily. Besides it's dad's home roasted so you can't get it any fresher.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  tecky Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:33 pm

My parents discouraged us from coffee, saying it would stunt our growth. I couldn't afford that (I'm only 5'3"). Still don't drink coffee. The only way I will drink it is if it is 1/2 cream. I get a migraine right away.

My oldest son has loved coffee since he was a kid. He grew to 6'2" and doesn't have migraines. Go figure.

Becky flower
tecky
tecky

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:58 pm

What is the difference in this and taking Ibuprofen with added caffeine.
Sorry must have missed a post somewhere.

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:34 pm

I know excedrin has caffeine in it, but I have not heard of ibuprofen having caffeine in it. Either this isn't something we have here in the US, or it's not widely used/available.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Advil and coffee Empty RE:advil and coffee

Post  magic48 Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:44 am

hey
i usually do a cup of coffee and tylenol...i know you can get this in pill form but it is so much nicer to drink the coffee...ER doc said if it works to head em off there is no problem with it...
magic48
magic48

Back to top Go down

Post  pen Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:36 am

There are some pills here in the UK with Ibuprofen and caffeine, but I dont think they are much used...
Wonder why that is, they stuff it in everything...

pen

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:59 am

The drug Fiorinal has caffiene and the 222's (AC&C's) that are sold over the counter in Canada all have a small amount of caffeine. It is a vasodilator (opens up arteries) so it may help get the med out into the body faster.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 am

I actually LIKE coffee, so I wouldn't take it in a pill form anyway, but regardless, unless there's something on the market here in the US I'm not familiar with, you can't get ibuprofen and caffeine in pill form. Kate, you're in the US, right?
(Tylenol and excedrin have never worked for me, only ibuprofren)

Brent, lucky you, fiorinal is not an OTC drug here in the states. Never heard of 222's.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Brent Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:22 am

I am in the states, but the prescription Fiorinal is the only Rx med I know of that has it. It was one of the very first mig meds I was given and could not understand why I was awake all night. I had to look it up.
Brent
Brent

Back to top Go down

Post  AuntieBubbs Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:26 pm

I would actually love to try the fioricet with caffeine, since coffee helps with my migraines so much. But my dr. has me on stadol, and I don't know if he'd put me on another "heavy duty" rescue med. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask though; I plan to if I can ever get in to see him. I always feel weird asking to try new meds, like he might think, "what is she asking to try now? Drug seeking?!" I've been with this nuero just about 3 years; not long enough to know if he'd think that of me yet; I've only seen him once in the past 9 months - my fault though, not his.
AuntieBubbs
AuntieBubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down